• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Seriously confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey everyone, noob here. I'm really confused, when I first found this website I thought that it was a simple case of extraction into the game files and hey-ho you've got a new model/hero/fish or whatever. Now I'm not so sure, and it seems as though you can only have models in World Editor, not in the game.

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong and explain how I can do this in the simplest terms. I've modded games before but this one has thrown me completely :( though, I have only spent a couple of hours on the website.

I apologise if this has been answered in another forum/FAQ. Hope to hear from someone soon, thanks.

Reactions: Br0

Br0

Br0

Level 4
Hope you like modding Wc3 because it is definately worth it once you mastered the editor.

You can have models in-game and the editor, I really don't understand what you meant by that. All you have to do is import the models and textures while making sure everything is set to the correct path. Then after that you have to go into object editor and set the models to what you wanted/imported. You must use the import editor then once you import a .mdx or .mdl file, and it has no custom texture required then all you have to do is restart your editor, and then the models will appear for you in the object editor where you then can proceed to find the modelpath where then you use the custom button/option, and a drop box menu should appear as well. If it has a custom texture then you must figure out the path of it which is usually either remove the War3mapimported\ thing or replace that with Textures\

Level 3
Thanks for the swift replies guys, I think the vagueness of my question is due to my lack of understanding. I suppose what I was asking (and the reason for my confusion) was whether you could download a Hero for instance from this website, use World Editor to insert it into the game and then just play it like you would a normal hero.

Br0

Br0

Level 4
If only it was that easy, lol. I meant that you can't just import a model, and have it work.

Last edited:
Level 25
It is that easy. Open whatever map you want to play in the World Editor, import the model/skin/icon you want to use, open the Object Editor, find whatever you want to replace and simply replace it with the imported resource. Save the map, and you should be capable of playing with whatever changes you've done.
However, if you are talking about permanently changing the models of heroes etc. in campaigns and such, the answer is no. You can't do that.

Level 3
Oh okay, so whenever I want to play a certain hero, I have to go through that every time? Will it let me set up the enemies, colour of the teams in the World Editor as well?

Level 25
Oh okay, so whenever I want to play a certain hero, I have to go through that every time?

Well, whenever you want to play a new hero, yes. If not, you can just open up your previous map(s).

Will it let me set up the enemies, colour of the teams in the World Editor as well?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you want to change the units and such of the enemy races, it is done in the editor as well. If you just want to change the enemy race, it's done in the game when you start a map. Same goes for the color.

Level 25
Try saving the map, restarting the editor, and reopening the map. If that doesn't work, check that you've renamed the files properly (removed war3imported\ from the texure files). If you still can't get it working, I don't know what's the problem.

Level 3
Alright I'll give it a go tomorrow, it's 11 where I am and I'm coming off haha. I'll let you know if it works, thanks for the help

Level 25
You need to import BOTH the model AND the texture (if it was included), (read the README.txt FIRST!), then save and restart the World Editor, then change the model of your specific unit and test yourmmap...

Level 33
then save and restart the World Editor
You don't need to do this

The way I do it;
1. Import the model file using the Import Manager (F12)
2. Remove the war3mapImported\ from the model file for example: war3mapImported\DragonBlade.mdx -> DragonBlade.mdx (do this for all files attach to the model). If you have 3 files for a model including .mdx, .blp, and others, do this for all the file to the model, remove the war3mapImported\ (this does not include .txt or .html or any other non-related model file)
3. Change my default model to the Imported Model
4. You will see a green box and data error (Could not load file: YourFileName.fileType) this is normal, don't be afraid, just launch the map by pressing CTRL + F9 (without saving it)
5. It Should work

NOTE: For saving a map after importing, that is to only to show the model in the World Editor, nothing else and to avoid the data error and green box of course. If you just test the map, it will work as intended inside the game, but not in the World Editor itself.

Reactions: Br0
Level 3
Okay it's working so thanks for all the help. The only problem I have is that it is making my game freeze every few seconds, any way to fix this? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.