• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] I'm a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey there, I'm sorry for posting again on the same topic....But I'm desperately trying to figure out why my map is lagging so bad..
It only seems to happen when enemies cast spells, spells like Flame strike are the worst, or if one of my characters is poisoned...

This only seems to happen late in the game, after about 5 hrs..

...I am a noob when it comes to triggers, I only know the basics...
I posted something earlier, and someone tried to help, saying that I might have leaks..I have no clue at all how to fix leaks, or how to tell if i have any...

Ug i'm so confused....Do leaks cause enemies casting spells to lag the game?

I created a map a few years ago, even bigger! and it never had this problem... the only thing I can think of that's different is, I added a trigger that shows floating text to Spell damage, attack damage, the name of the spell being cast, and the use of a item...

Could it be the floating text causing the lag?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ug i'm so confused....Do leaks cause enemies casting spells to lag the game?
Depending on the kind of leak, they make certain jobs of advancing the game state more computationally intensive to the point that real time deadlines fail so frames are dropped.
I added a trigger that shows floating text to Spell damage, attack damage, the name of the spell being cast, and the use of a item...
The problem might be the number of unique strings. Once a string is created it is never removed until the end of game. Once several hundred thousand such strings exist, the hashtable used to look up unique strings degrades in performance towards O(n) lookup time, resulting in anything that creates a string becoming computationally intensive. With enough new strings even creating a single new string can drop several frames.

Status
Not open for further replies.