• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Serious Custom Splat issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello there !

I have this blocking tower I use in my map to build entire mazes.

For obvious reasons, I needed a more "square" splat texture as all those available in the game are all "round".

First solution I successfully implemented was adding a plane at the base of the tower model.
It worked, but then the pre-placement game texture becomes really hard to see, and that really doesn't help.

So I decided to go to the most obvious solution that I should have started with :
Make a custom Splat !

So I properly modified the Splats\UberSpltData.slk to include my texture and replace the original splat called "TEST".

I made sure the texture was 256x256 in size and has at least a 1 fully transparent pixel border :
BTSplat.png

Once converted to BLP, or even DDS, with BLP Lab (with 8 mipmaps as original splats) or Magos Model Viewer, and imported into the map besides the UberSplatData.slk, I unfortunately keep getting strange artifacts in WE or ingame :

BuggierSplat.png

Fun enough, converting the original texture used by the "TEST" splat into BLP also shows these artifacts, although much less visible :

SlightlyBuggySplat.png

So my questions are :

- What are the required conversion options to use in order to get rid of these ugly artifacts ?

- How can one properly make custom splats ?

Note : I have encountered the same issue in the past with custom selection circles.

I suppose this is a mipmap error. Check out the smaller mipmaps (especially the 128x128) versions and see if it has a proper 1 transparent pixel border aswell. If not, make a 2 transparent pixel border for the 256x256 splat.
In your case I suspect the game using the 128x128 mipmap instead of the full resolution one for unknown reasons.

Test this idea just to rule it out.

Level 12
Thanks for your input !

Unfortunately it seems I am still out of luck there, there must be something else the conversion messes up with :

To be "safe", I made a 3 pixel 100% transparent border, and here are the results ingame :

ZOOMED IN :

SplatIssue1.png

and ZOOMED OUT :

SplatIssue2.png

This is really strange...

EDIT :

Double checked with a 128x128 version of the texture with 2 pixel 100% transparent border and same result

EDIT 2 :
Now this is even more strange.
I tried to make the texture plain color and square.

Now there I use a 4 pixel 100% transparent border :

SplatCursed.png

And if I try without any border, the artifacts go away but the Splat is not centered at the tower anymore (and much bigger) ...

SplatWTF.png

EDIT :

Fixed. With the help of Niklas, @eejin and @Dr Super Good on Discord, I found out that I was using the default export settings for PNG files in Photoshop, and it was messing up the alpha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.