• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Can I make custom SPLATS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is a strange question maybe, But...
I used the search to try finding what I needed and I still remain, kind'a lost.
I want to make a custom splat, such as the textures that go under buildings when you build them? (these are the textures that attatch to the terrain the building sits on, and molds itself to the shape of the terrian with WC3 engine)

I want to make custom ones.
My question is, how.
Other threads talked about editing SLKs for lighting effects; I however I'm browsing the MPQs under "replaceabletextures - splats". Under that, you should find alot of BLPs.
The confuzzlement for these splats is that, ( A ) I'm unsure of the path names I should use for importing them and ( B ) I do not know how to use an imported texture as a splat for a building ground texture. There is simply no option on the OE to use an import.

Another option is using the Shadow Splats, which also mold to terrain (as such is what I need)
Now for Shadows, the OE seems to have the option of selecting custom textures for them but when I preview the effected unit/building in Editor AND In game, there is actually NO shadow at all. Nothing.

I'm going to read up some texture tutorials on here to see if I'm making simple import errors since I've never ever messed around with custom textures. Otherwise, just editing the pre-existing splats for use would also be awsome; so help on this subject would be greately apperciated.
-=Peace!=-

Level 3
Okay, I've done my work and I'm not doing anything wrong texture wise. Or maybe I am but the programs I'm using wont lemme convert files back and forth from BLP to whatever and back to BLP again. Out've everything I'm using (VertexModify, WC3Viewer, WC3Converter and WC3ME *unsure if this is the magos one or not) the only program that works at all is the Model Editor. Everytime I try to convert files back, or even just taking an applicable file the programs SAY they can convert to BLP, I get a BLP, with my desired file name... but its 0k. Infact its nothing but an Icon. NICE!

This is stumping me and if I could get some help on it; I could promise some intersting discoveries for myself map making wise.

I've discovered that the Trigger Editor allows you some leanway on SPLATS, letting you select to use SPLATs infact. However, the only way I get it to work is through "create image at (whatever area) at (whatever size) yadda yadda."
In this trigger, you have the option of displaying what kind of Splat to display. The only option that seems to work is the targeting type Splats (the splats that are used when you selecting an AoE). The problem with this is that this Splat displays superficial. Its as close as to the Terrain as you can get (shadows actually appear slightly above the terrain I've noticed) but all the other splats appear under this splat. No shadows are viewable, ubersplats, blood splats...

Plus, with the problems with programs not converting... this is starting to get frustrating. SO, can I try asking again for alittle advice/assistance?
Thanks.

-=Peace=-

Status
Not open for further replies.