• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

September 2012 News Batch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeP

LeP

Level 13
* What function creates a unit and returns its shadow in the form of an image handle?
http://wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=107737

* How many BJs are there?
There are 923 functions defined in the Blizzard.j but they are not all directly accesable through GUI. I mean the Enum and Filter functions.

* How many JASS types can not be arrays?

Level 14
^ Amazing.. and? Tell me how many people actually play them? just a few on THW and no one else anywhere else? please, any of the new games > all that war3 stuff which is OUTDATED. Whatever... time for another break and maybe longer if not permament. It's not like I should be changing this place to my likings.

Just because they are not popular doesn't mean they are not good/great.

So you're fighting for being mentioned rather than trying to make the site recognized and receive what other fansites receive from Blizzard? Maybe i would have had a better impression about the place. Like reporting, making articles, videos, streamings, telling Blizzard 'Look at us we are presenting your NEW game!' And Blizzard may have a spot on this site.

Or you could do it yourself and become a Moderator here, the kind which keeps THW well known to the world. Instead of bashing it around as if you are in some kind of loss.

Edit: As a hiver with a low average of 120 posts per year, I have to say that...

If THW wants to have a future, a real future, a serious future, a future which impacts upon others...

THW really does need to make the jump to newer games like SC2 and D3.

Now I will agree that you might have lost the start, but in no way did you lose the run. All you need is a few devoted members, who are really skilled in moding, in order to create tutorials and good maps. For example that Wc3-D3 map was so popular that it brought attention towards THW. Yes, other comunities started already, but do they have the Giants?

Back when wc3 was popular, the Giants were on THW and Wc3c.

Your fortune, is that the SC2 scene starts 3 times. First time with WoL, second time with HotS, third time with LoV. So windows of opportunities exist. You guys can make a cool SC2 map, it doesn't even need to be complete, it can be just a preview, and than send it over to HuskyStarcraft to present it. Husky might just do this because this site is TheHiveWorkshop, who made a name for themselves.

But here is the thing. The real concern is what the capable individuals want, and what the rest want.

Because for example, if all this is just the capable individuals not wanting to make an effort, not wanting to seriously grow THW beyond Wc3, but everyone else in the community push the matter of "Lets do SC2", and than the capable individuals say "well just because you guys want it, we will do it", than it will just result a half arsed deal where this site didn't fulfill it's goals in growing out of Wc3, so it would be just wasted work. So what I am saying is, people who are demanding a more aggressive and serious change towards SC2 need to realize, that they need to contribute with more than just words, than just pushing from the back and giving driving lessons from the back seat.

And you don't need to force the current community to make changes. You just need to attract new people, up and coming talented moders to THW, and than naturally, THW has the chance to grow with SC2 just like it had with Wc3.

And at the same time, you need proper leadership who want to make these changes, who want to do them, who want to work for them. So I think either Ralle needs to personally get on top of things, or make some kind of a council.

And I don't know all the moderator drama, and I don't know you all /that/ good, but really if you are going to do this, you need DSG. He is so good at what he is doing, and I think he proven his loyalties. And that he is more than capable to contribute to THW and not create drama.

At one point on this forum, it was discussed that THW is split into two types of groups. The actual moders who do stuff, and the social people who are fans of this game (like me). On this note I want to ad, that I myself, I like League of Legends. And when I want to spend time on League of Legends content, I could spend it on the Riot Forums. But I don't do that, because Riot Forums are slow and bunch of trolls there anyway. So instead I spend it on reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends. Because the LOL community there is much better. Now to ad this phenomenon to THW, it means that I myself, as someone who likes Wc3, I chose to spend time on THW because of a better quality community, than on Blizzard forums. And I'm saying that THW has this going for it, and that it's a really important part for any community which wants to expand. And the thing is, these two groups are kind of dependent of one another. If the modders disappear from THW, so will the social guys, and the other way around. That's why Wc3c fell early and THW has not yet.

So moving forward I feel that some people really want THW into SC2, they see the potential of THW of being so much more than it is, and that the leadership are taking things at a slow pace. I feel that this slow pace will kill the entire process. That with this slow pace, you will miss the LOV launch. And than there is a third group of people who would want to see this happening, but don't actually get involved either because they don't know how, or they are not sure if it's worth it or not, or they just stick to providing "backseat driving suggestions" (Kinda like me, except I don't mod).

So I feel like, this entire conflict in which one voice is eImtor, and the second is Ralle, mostly translates into what do the capable members want? Do they want to get serious into the whole SC2 business, or do they want to make this transition half-arsed.

Last edited:
Level 14
Now let's stay on topic. Vengeancekael did it again. I am amazed about what he does with bbcode.

Well sorry for the long edit of my previous post. I think I just had to put it out there. If you want to remove it because drama might ensue based on it, feel free to delete it. No offense.

Level 22
^ I was only suggesting but you are right I sounded as if I care much. I think I won't repeat this anymore because like I said, if I a needed a site for some game, I go elsewhere as I already do. (well I came back only for some topics last week that I will stop discussing here completely)

Level 14
Idk if you care. But I guess I care. I keep coming back to this website although I don't even mod! Why do I do that? Beats me! I think I just find things interesting here.

And from time to time I like to get involved into arguments and debates to clear them out. I guess it's because it's what I like doing. And Warcraft will still remain an old classic for me, and over the years I was always surprised with the content found on this website. Be it models, skins, maps or even debates.

Personally I am not capable of much, so I can't help that much with changing the fate of THW. I actually have no view of the future of THW. I just take it as it is currently. So except the Wc4 threads which I love to bash at, there is really nothing I dislike about this place. So I guess I will stick around as I always do, from time to time, until I either outgrow it or it ends. :pir:

Level 22
Okay - I've been a global moderator with powers similar to admins in another now dead forum (battleforums) in around 2005-2006. The whole war3 section was mine and aming the things I did - removed hacks forums from my section, tried to organize few tourneys because the site was GAMING (sort of). We gathered for some matches but the whole organizing was not very successful due to lack of people e.g barely gather 8, cant all at the same time.

So as a player in melee, I have nothing to offer here at THW to SC2, for what I did in BFs I would need a site like TL.net where everybody is playing. I wouldn't even think of something related to esports or gaming here, it's not the place. Furthermore, I am done with organizing anything since there are enough good sites if one wanted to play some tournament.

And I do stuff from time to time with the editors (war3 now sc2) - few resources that I have shared/may share, so I have nothing to offer, nor am I devoted to mapmaking, nor am I interested in doing such things.

Since in my last I emhpasized on getting known by Blizzard to give us HOTS KEYS. That's what it was about, I just thought that would be another opportunity if THW received keys here, that's why I talked about it (Well personal interest but that's it, I said I have no interest in doing the things mentioned above).

Exactly because I use THW for chit-chat and because I play rather than stay around forums chatting (well at work I've nothing better to do), so I was with the intention to grab a key and go bnet, not look back to forums. Since HotS on my list which I will play instead of D3 for now.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I never saw our relationship with SC2Mapster as two competitors, mainly because we did fail to act while we had an average of 50 users viewing the SC2 forum at all times, when it was just a forum inside the Gamer's Hub category.

Having failed that, God knows I did try to make it happen through pushing news announcement about tournaments and other articles related to SC2, but the only replies I got were «this is not a gaming site», «why are you doing sc2 news on a wc3 site», «why don't you make a notice about who is Tatcher» (because I asked regarding the political compass), and, pardon the bluntness, other pauper and ungrateful comments.

To make a transition, the site actually has to develop new pages to accommodate information regarding the game. I don't go as far as Eimtor to say we need to do videos and streamings, I honestly don't have any reason to reserve a lot of hope for the Hive to bring it hot and fresh on the spot like SC2Mapster (unless, of course, we can get someone to do that for us), but at least a good-looking game portal with some basic information about the game would be welcome. All we came up with was a remote forum in the Gamer's Hub and a link at the top redirecting to it. It is safe to say that it is not a particularly elaborate accommodation of the game.

When I finally made the StarCraft II Modding an independent category, the forum had already lost the average of 50 people browsing it. The same is happening with Diablo III. To add to this, the Summer is over and the active userbase is taking its usual decline.

To me, if the Hive actually wants to be competitive, it has to:
1. Have a good StarCraft II project of its own. Wc4:SC2 was a good project, but the site pretty much let it flee. An entry in the Hosted Projects is barely enough. I know a website which accommodates modders of various games, and they let modders create their own sub-site inside the main site. I heard it from the members of Wc4:SC2 personally that the Hive's board skin (night elf leaves), being restricted to BBcode, as well as the poor advertisement of the project, was a huge turndown to being hosted by us.

2. Closely related to the above point, the Hive needs to have its view renewed. The interface and server feedback time of the site plays a GIGANTIC role in how popular a site can get. It wouldn't be exaggerated to say that these looks that the Hive imported from wc3sear.ch — with the links at the top, wc3 icons for forums, the night elf skin — have played a role into maintaining 75% of its userbase and making people prefer it over WC3Campaigns. On the other hand, SC2Mapster takes as much time to load pages as the old wc3sear.ch used to — this is a huge, potentially exploitable advantage that the Hive has over Mapster.
While not losing the option to stick to old views, the Hive needs to refresh its image while keeping the things that made it shine. This is where the hopes for Hive 2 come in, but, in spite of what I've seen, I'm still not convinced it's going to be as good as everyone is being led to believe. Time will tell, I suppose.​

Level 48
I think the problem really is that SC2 is not as interesting as WC3. I don't know why. Partially because of the custom maps system, I guess; It's almost impossible to see something new, and if you want to play an obscure, non-popular game, you HAVE to do it with a group of people you know.

Also, SC2 barely came out yet. There are no proper art tools. The very first models and textures for WC3 were horrible geomerges and recolors, there were no proper tools, etc. It is only later that some valiant people made tools like the Model Editor(by Magos), the MDL editing tools(by Oinkerwinkle, who's site is now sadly down), etc.

Level 14
You guys just need to pick up SC2 modding more constantly.

I agree with Rui, you don't need streaming and such. You are not entertainers. You want to provide a "home", a "school" for all those people out there who want to mod SC2!

So you just need to make SC2 content (projects, textures, tutorials) and with a good and fast site (as Rui mentioned) you can get yourselves into the scene.

The only thing which identifies THW firstly to Warcraft when you join this site, is the Night Elf theme. Which is really awesome and people like it. I like it. So yeah, a website with this default theme would struck as firstly Wc3, and than something else... maybe. So this really needs to be resolves with THW2.

Btw, what is the progress on THW2?

Level 24
Also, SC2 barely came out yet. There are no proper art tools. The very first models and textures for WC3 were horrible geomerges and recolors, there were no proper tools, etc. It is only later that some valiant people made tools like the Model Editor(by Magos), the MDL editing tools(by Oinkerwinkle, who's site is now sadly down), etc.
Sc2: WoL is out and has been so for over two years, I wouldn't clasify that as "barely came out yet". Two years after RoC was released we arrive at 2004, a year in which Wc3 modding was already prosperous.

Furhtermore, I'm so fed up with this art perspective. Too many times have I read about the lack of proper art tools or how custom models are too difficult to create, and maybe they are, what do I know? What I do know, however, is that Sc2 modding is a success (in some sense) already, despite the lack of Oinkerwinkle's tools, or Blizzard's official ditto, just at sites other than the Hive.

Now, assuming Blizzard releases their promised tools and artists all over the world rejoice, what Hive users would truly use them? The people here are either busy doing nothing or still modding Warcraft III.

What would benefit your goals is in fact neither art tools or anything of the kind, it's an actual Sc2 community to call your own, because that's actually what you lack. You neither are nor will (at the very least in the near future) be a considerable Sc2 community.

Last edited:
Level 14
Sc2: WoL is out and has been so for over two years, I wouldn't clasify that as "barely came out yet". Two years after RoC was released we arrive at 2004, a year in which Wc3 modding was already prosperous.

Furhtermore, I'm so fed up with this art perspective. Too many times have I read about the lack of proper art tools or how custom models are too difficult to create, and maybe they are, what do I know? What I do know, however, is that Sc2 modding is a success (in some sense) already, despite the lack of Oinkerwinkle's tools, or Blizzard's official ditto, just at sites other than the Hive.

Now, assuming Blizzard releases their promised tools and artists all over the world rejoice, what Hive users would truly use them? The people here are either busy doing nothing or still modding Warcraft III.

What would benefit your goals is in fact neither art tools or anything of the kind, it's an actual Sc2 community to call your own, because that's actually what you lack. You neither are nor will (at the very least in the near future) be a considerable Sc2 community.

+1, Right on the mark.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Offtopic:

I wonder if a Warcraft based map is more fun to play on SC2 than WC3 ? Give you the night elf feeling in space enviroment. Playing rpgs like in wc3, (well that might work). How would footman wars look like in sc2 with footmen models. Horrible if you ask me. Can't even imagine it. It's to WC3 like for me. But space maps in SC2 look pretty nice and fits the starcraft environment well.

For my part I don't have a good enough comp for playing SC2. For me SC2 is more fun to play normal games because its well balanced, while in WC3 I personally prefer custom games cuz the normal games aren't as well done as in SC1 and SC2.

I find it a problem that maps doesn't appear at random in SC2 when you are looking at custom games like in WC3 (I might be wrong here cuz I haven't played SC2 for one year). But SC2 custom maps has much greater potential than WC3 custom map. But I get "space" feeling when playing SC2, while I'm a bit oldschool and prefer WC3 of old habit cuz it gives me the oldschool feeling. To bad SC2 is too new for me :)

For me Hive is WC3 modding site. I see some blue text on top of the site. That's the faint visibility of SC2 presence on the site. The sites design always give me the WC3 feeling anyways.
I hope i didn't went to much offtopic

WC3 is better IMHOOOOOO! :pir:

My 5 cents

The news batches is a good thing for hive. Brings up high quality stuff from the month. Colorful and well made posts. I guess its a bit few SC2 resources to add there yet, but it will come eventually I guess. No reason to taunt SC2 for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.