• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc2 Selection System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I was wondering if anyone has developed a selection system similar to the one in Starcraft II, where it selects more units than the limit of the 12 that Warcraft III gives you. If it is possible, how in depth would the process to make it be? I'm still sort of new to the trigger system. Just learning how to use arrays.

Level 6
Extending the native selection is not possible. You have to think of an alternative, how to display and how to control it. How about squads of units, where the individual unit is not directly controlable but it inherits the orders of a leader unit?

Nah, squads can't be the answer and I've seen work done with them. I just wanted to know if it was possible to extend the limit of the amount of units you can select. It's a major bummer that you can't, thanks for the help anyway.

I have another question, not sure if it's worth making another thread. I wanted to know how to make custom heroes trained at the altar initially free, like they are in normal melee games. I've figured everything else out about adding custom heroes, except this.

Level 15
Extending the native selection is not possible. You have to think of an alternative, how to display and how to control it. How about squads of units, where the individual unit is not directly controlable but it inherits the orders of a leader unit?

In Starcraft Broodwar (a game far older than wc3) there is a ubiquitous selection hack (aka multi command) which allows a player to select up to 255 units in a single control group. Of course it's an actual hack and you have to inject it, but I am guessing this isn't the solution he was looking for...So there isn't such an equivalent hack for Warcraft 3 (or the possibility of it?)?

Level 26
Of course my responses are always about legit current wc3. If you consider hacking, that enables everything.

MindWorX currently develops SharpCraft and TriggerHappy writes some jass natives.

Before 2009 there were projects which did what your looking for however I don't think you can do this anymore thanks to blizzard.

What did they abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.