• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Save and load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
well just wait. once nestharus (finally) makes his Data system than we would be able to create a GUI one

(not like we can't now, but im not going to waste my time on save/load codes o_O)

Level 31
Uncharted, disable Scrambler and the freezing will stop

If it still occurs, get rid of saving to hard drive

those are the 2 heavy operations that cause freezes

if you'd rather, you can wait for new codeless save/load, which will have no freezing and no codes (like gamecache online). It'll also have a limit of 60,000 bits, which is like 1875 full values.

Level 3
well just wait. once nestharus (finally) makes his Data system than we would be able to create a GUI one

(not like we can't now, but im not going to waste my time on save/load codes o_O)

Ow okay that's what he means hehehe okay

Uncharted, disable Scrambler and the freezing will stop

If it still occurs, get rid of saving to hard drive

those are the 2 heavy operations that cause freezes

if you'd rather, you can wait for new codeless save/load, which will have no freezing and no codes (like gamecache online). It'll also have a limit of 60,000 bits, which is like 1875 full values.

Okay....i will wait and can you send me a link after your done? THanks :grin:

Level 14

This sounds too good to be true 0.o

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
And that is just one possible security risk. Another may be downloading files that interact with installed programs. Honestly Blizzard should patch this away and the reason a file based save/load system was not made earlier is everyone reached the conclusion that Blizzard was going to patch it so it would not be worth creating. Many years have passed since then so it is safe to assume it will remain for some considerable time still.

Level 14
And that is just one possible security risk. Another may be downloading files that interact with installed programs.

I can imagine someone downloading a payload so that the creator of the map can take full control over the targets computer through a terminal...
Not only keylogging but also gaining access to files/folders etc.
This can get pretty evil. I hope my non-conformist friends will not hear about this, I love mapmaking :(

Honestly Blizzard should patch this away and the reason a file based save/load system was not made earlier is everyone reached the conclusion that Blizzard was going to patch it so it would not be worth creating. Many years have passed since then so it is safe to assume it will remain for some considerable time still.

I still hope it stays for some time though, even though it composes a security threat.
When it is used for good, a lot of awesome stuff can be done with it like Nestharus has already shown us.
To those who use this exploit for bad purposes: shame on you!

Level 19
Last time they patched a major bug we got hashtables

They patched the preload bug after that, I know, but it still kinda works so in reality it was basically a hotfix

if they remove the Preload native alltogether (or just delete the contents of the Preload native so it doesnt destroy maps that use it) I'd hope theyd give us a Bank-type system

Nestharus, are you able to save to different locations than C:\ and the warcraft terminal?

Level 19
Nestharus, your script should try and force all saving in a standard place, specificly inside WarCraft III folder. Most players do not want their computer to be bombarded with junk folders all over the place.

Meh. In the end, it all comes down to one function

call PreloadGenEnd() (or idr what the function that specifys the path was)

so if a user really wanted to make malicious edits to a computer, than they would be stopped.

On a side note, doesn't preloading put a bunch of call Preload() function PreloadFiles() ... stuff?

Level 31
Nestharus, your script should try and force all saving in a standard place, specificly inside WarCraft III folder. Most players do not want their computer to be bombarded with junk folders all over the place.

my script does enforce saving in 1 place, plus it doesn't allow bat files, only pure text.

I was saying that the Preload native allows you to save anywhere

Level 19
my script does enforce saving in 1 place, plus it doesn't allow bat files, only pure text.

I was saying that the Preload native allows you to save anywhere

AllowLocalFiles.bat? what if someone snuck in there and put in

del system32\

Level 14
AllowLocalFiles.bat? what if someone snuck in there and put in

del system32\

Then they would have insufficient rights to do so ^.^
You probably need a bit more code in order to do that, like taking ownership..

But still, good point

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The folder requires administrator permission to modify for that reason. Trying to modify it without administrator permission will throw an exception.

It is far easier to modify something like steam to trick a user into running a trojen next time he starts up steam (assuming the person is not an idiot and leaves steam running all the time when not playing steam games).

Level 14
The attacker could for example create a payload with metasploit (ofcourse with several encryptions to bypass virus scanners), then when that payload is executed.

The attacker can use a terminal to access the computer of the person who executed the payload.

The attacker could for example load sessions for each computer connected through his payload and start keylogging those computers, or do anything from within an elevated invisible command prompt on the victims computer.

The attacker could potentially setup backdoors to reconnect to these victim computers again after they are shut down. Or simply put something inside their autorun.
(ofcourse using a backdoor composes a threat towards the attacker if the victim knows what he/she is doing)

But enough about that for now :)

Level 14
it'll have gui support :\

You don't need to learn jass to use it. But I guess that when you want to change it to your personal needs you do need vJass knowledge (unless everything will be configurable through constants that is).

Level 19
no we should incorporate it into anticheats so if the anticheats detect someone it deletes their warcraft 3 folder ;P

Level 31
All right, it's ready

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/codeless-save-load-1-0-0-0-a-227231/

edit
for customizing to your needs... uhhhh

we'll end up needing probably 5 different GUI save/load systems, and even that may not be enough >.<.

Yea, encryption/hashing can be customized, but as for the possible advanced features outlined in the vjass demo, no, lol. One such feature is multi-version save/load, which can be accomplished without modifying the GUI save/load system in pure GUI. However, while this can be accomplished in GUI, multi-profile save/load can't as the GUI save/load system would have to be modified (being able to have more than 1 code for a map or w/e = multi-profile save/load). Alternating file safety would also have to be done in the GUI save/load system code.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read thru the vJASS demo. It reads like a tutorial : ).

Level 3
All right, it's ready

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/codeless-save-load-1-0-0-0-a-227231/

edit
for customizing to your needs... uhhhh

we'll end up needing probably 5 different GUI save/load systems, and even that may not be enough >.<.

Yea, encryption/hashing can be customized, but as for the possible advanced features outlined in the vjass demo, no, lol. One such feature is multi-version save/load, which can be accomplished without modifying the GUI save/load system in pure GUI. However, while this can be accomplished in GUI, multi-profile save/load can't as the GUI save/load system would have to be modified (being able to have more than 1 code for a map or w/e = multi-profile save/load). Alternating file safety would also have to be done in the GUI save/load system code.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, read thru the vJASS demo. It reads like a tutorial : ).

Yeepe THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.