• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Runelit Depths

Reactions: Eldin HawkWing
----------Sh4de Presents----------

Runelit Depths
Created by Sh4de

Map Info:

The darkness spread before you is all encompassing, with the exceptions of magic runes which light paths across the abyss. Assault enemies at your own peril, as each is removed just enough to leave your own garrison exposed.

Features:

Map contains 8 islands surrounding a central fortress.
Sections containing these islands all contain:
1 Green Camps
4 Orange Camps
1-2 Red Camps (if a player is selected or not)
2 Gold Mines
1 Goblin Lab
1 Goblin Merchant
1 Fountain of Health
1 Mercenary Camp

The Center of the Map contains:
9 Red Camps
8 Taverns
8 Gold Mines
1 Marketplace

Changes:

-Changed layout of middle
-Redid rune paths to shorten distance between the middle and corner islands
-Added Mercenary Camps
-Decorated some of the empty space
Screenshots and Videos:
Map Overview
141322-albums8820-picture107728.png

Island Overview
141322-albums8820-picture107627.png

Green Camp
141322-albums8820-picture107628.png

Orange Camp
141322-albums8820-picture107630.png

Red Camp
141322-albums8820-picture107634.png

Central Red Camp
141322-albums8820-picture107730.png

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Rune, melee, FFA
Contents

Runelit Depths (Map)

Reviews
00:20, 18th Apr 2016 Remixer: Remixer's CommentOverall a unique melee map for change with decent execution.3/5

M

00:20, 18th Apr 2016
Remixer:
Comment
Remixer's Comment
Overall a unique melee map for change with decent execution.
3/5

Level 5
Added some zazz to the description, wasn't certain how to attach the files to my description so I made a forum post where they're uploaded, I'll adjust accordingly after I've figured out how to.

Just tested the map, here's my review

My, my.. this is one decent Melee map.

- It's playable by 8 players which is rare to find these days
- It has a Goblin Laboratory, Fountains, Taverns, a Marketplace, and a Goblin Merchant
- The Rune's idea is perfect
- Lots of creeps which makes this map even more challenging

- The terrain is nice but could be better
- It would be nice if you could add a Mercenary camp

I'll rate this 4/5, will change my rating to 5/5 once you improve terrain with more doodads, add a Mercenary Camp

EDIT: Rating this 5/5 since changes have been made

Last edited:
Level 28
* Starting gold mine seems a bit low to me.
* Terrain is nice, though I think all the runes seem to make it laggy.
* You should add more green creeps, the AI seems to get stuck at low levels because of that (they often don't clear out their own base).
* You should thin out the trees that block off red camps so it only takes one spell to get through.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Review
Quota
Annotation
Rules
The map does not brake any rules and can be reviewed.
Terrain
To be honest I like the terrain as it is. It's not very flawless or well done but it is really fresh and unique. I love the way you used the abyss and the magical runes for your advantage. On the flip side of the coin there is no height variation and the way the map is executed leaves very little space for the gameplay mechanics. You seem to stick with very large brush sizes, which is often bad - try to and make some visual differences with the brush size 1. It really makes it look more alive and refressing.

Terrain is mirrored - which makes it balanced but thus also repetitive. Always try to add variations here and there without braking the balance.
Gameplay
Like mentioned before the terrain is mirrored. However the corner players have somewhat little advantage since their bases are diagonally compared to the others meaning enemies coming to their bases have to go next to a cliff that the base is on top of - which is really abusable. However it's pretty minor.

The paths around the map are partly really narrow and thus restricts the size of armies on the map. The abyss is water and does not block air units so they can be really superior in this map as they can harass land units all over the map and being indestructible themselves, flying over the abyss.

The usage of the tress to block off some neutral buildings is also sweet, however check and make sure it's balanced to each race. Having 10+ trees makes it really long way to every other race but Night Elves and thus I'd recommend you to reduce the amount of trees blocking off the buildings. Item drops seemed to be okay, though the creep camps near bases could be a little easier, apart from the one guarding the gold mine. The second extension near the middle has no functionality really - it's too vulnerable to be used well not to mention there's no trees to be harvested.
Notable
factors
trophy01.gif
Notable uniqueness.
trophy01.gif
Notable exectution.
trophy01.gif
Notable experience.
Summary
Merits:
+ Unique and fresh
+ Balanced
+ Map has appropriate name and description

Demerits:
- Poor terrain (apart from it being cool)
- Narrow paths around the map
- Minor balance errors

Suggestions:
• Add height variation
• Check the balance errors mentioned above
• Check out item drops and creep levels around the bases
• Consider changing the second expansion areas
• Keep up the good work
[tr]
[tr]

Level 21
I like the concept of the rune path,and the idea behind the map itself.Very unique,I hope to see more from you in the future