• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retera's Model Studio

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
This is Retera's Model Studio v0.04 Public Beta. It is not finished! But it is something that works and is better than the Matrix Eater application, and is compatible with Patch 1.32.

Retera's Model Studio is the second evolution of the Matrix Eater project. It is a standalone MDL and MDX model editor. The project has diverged from the Matrix Eater that is available here on the Hive, and become a different program with features that do not totally overlap -- although my goal is for this to entirely replace the Matrix Eater.

Features:
  • Open and view MDL and MDX model files
  • CASC Data browser with double-click to view model, or texture, using JCASC from DrSuperGood
  • Attempts to support every single Warcraft III Patch up to and including Patch 1.31
  • MPQ Data browser seamlessly replaces CASC browser when using older patches of the game
  • 24 color "Team Color" menu will seamlessly swap to 12 colors when using an older patch of the game
  • Edit the model geometry (Select by Vertex, Select by Face, Select by Group)
  • Editor hotkeys that were not present in the Matrix Eater predecessor (QWER for edit mode, ASDF for select mode)
  • Control which Geosets are editable at one time
  • Animation Previewing (No particles or ribbons yet)
  • An "Open Internal" menu for loading game models quickly
  • Can open and save MDX to MDL or MDL to MDX using a converter that supports features such as ReplaceableId on Particle Emitters better than some alternatives
  • Includes a basic UV map editor
  • Multiple GUI themes available in the Preferences Window
Experimental Features:
  • Create a new blank model with basic planes and boxes
  • Can open BLP or PNG images for previewing (similar to Magos application)
  • Includes an Edit Textures menu to view the list of used textures, and quickly change used paths.
  • Quick Browse: Opening a new model in the Data Browser will close unsaved old ones (can be turned off in preferences)
  • Customizable layout, allowing you to draw components of the UI into different places
  • Window -> Reset Layout to reload the default layout
  • T-Pose edit mode, which can move mesh based on assigned bones in a more intelligent way
  • Cluster selection mode, similar to Group mode but using connected mesh rather than assigned VertexGroup
  • Animation edit mode, which can edit and modify animations (Warning: uses Hermite and Bezier by default, and inserts incorrect inward and outward tangents that will cause visual "vibrations" of nonlinear models in some cases, this is a fixable bug, needs more time)
  • Hive Browser is a feature that does not work and was added only as a UI mockup to discuss technology, and was included by accident in V0.01. It will be removed in V0.02, as to my knowledge, the required server technology for the hypothetical feature to work was not built.
Limitations:
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application cannot pin a Geoset to be visible but not editable
  • Unlike Matrix Eater, this application gives no indication of a node's name graphically in the 2D editing space
  • No user interface to control mounting system for MPQ/CASC hybrid loading system, so it will break again in Patch 1.32 or whenever Blizzard moves data once again
  • Inherits WC3 cached install directory information from Matrix Eater, which can be removed in the case of incompatibility and is located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\JWC3\user.profile
  • After running this application, configuration settings from the Matrix Eater application may become corrupted and not work correctly, causing strange white background errors (This application will not be affected)
Required for running Retera's Model Studio:
  • A Java SE Runtime Environment. A bundle is included with a Windows 64-bit EXE launcher but if you want the application to run on Linux or Mac then you must install the Java SE Runtime Environment separately.
  • The above statement means that if you are a 32-bit Windows XP user, the EXE application will not function (only tested with Windows 7 64-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit)
  • A valid Warcraft III Installation (only tested with Patch 1.22 through Patch 1.31)
Additionally bundled applications (main methods in the same Java application included as EXE files):
  • Includes the AnimTransfer EXE that was previously included with Matrix Eater, which will use the Retera Model Studio MDL and MDX parser, which has significant subtle improvements over the one in the Matrix Eater application thanks to contributions from Ghostwolf.
  • Includes the ObjectEditor EXE shown in YouTube videos that has custom folders based on unit race, and can be opened multiple times simultaneously and can select, copy, and paste multiple Units between two running instances of the software. (Known to have bugs, requires Windows Clipboard, fails on Linux)
  • BlpConv EXE that can be used to convert TGA to BLP using DrSuperGood's blp-iio-plugin on systems where Magos or BLP Lab are not working (although these two alternative tools are typically superior to mine)
v0.04.2b
  • Fixed a bug in "Edit/delete model components" reported by Hive user @Makkad (retains FaceFX chunks now)
v0.04.2
  • Tiny change requested by discord user VictorZ that allows "Rotate Type-In" to work in the Animation Editor. (The code for this was copied almost directly from the Twilac version of 0.05, so you should seriously probably just use 0.05!)

v0.04.1
  • Opening a file in a folder does not walk the directory tree of that folder
  • Scripts -> Skin Splice function added upon request from Vulfar
v0.04 for 1.32.10
  • Fixes the program to work with the new Warcraft III Patch 1.32.10 that changed the TFVS formatting for some reason.
  • Includes some really minor internal bug fixes over the previous version
v0.04:
  • Merged the version known as "Retera Model Studio Reforged Hack" to be the mainline version of the tool going forward (this version includes all of the fixes listed here)
  • Added support for Reforged assets and a bunch of bug fixes related to working with those
  • Added "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 800" to convert Reforged Classic Models to the legacy classic model format, as well as "Scripts -> Assign FormatVersion 1000" to convert legacy game client models to match the format used by the "Classic Graphics" of Reforged.
  • Added a "Reforged Graphics Mode" and "Classic Graphics Mode" in the data sources chooser panel
  • Added the "Model" tab which is buggy and unfinished
v0.03:
  • Changed the program to use Java 11. Had trouble exporting the JAR from Eclipse, so I changed it back to Java 8 for now.
  • Changed the program to use the latest version of DrSuperGood's JCASC, which requires Java 11 to use, then I modified his code so that it did not require Java 11 so that we could continue deployment in the previous fashion.
  • Changed the startup sequence to use a "data source chooser" view, which is also available in Preferences. This allows users to load CASC or MPQ data in a way that is intended to be straightforward and clear to the user, and for CASC data the user able to choose the locale to load from the game. Locales that are present in the CASC's list but have not been downloaded from Blizzard are shown in dark red. These dark red options won't work until you launch Warcraft III at least one time using that locale.
  • Changed the startup sequence to return the user to the "data source chooser" any time that the program crashes during startup, so that the user is always able to reconfigure their settings.
  • Changed the model previewer to include the rendering of Particle Emitters, so that users can have a better feel for how their models might look in-game. This is a nontrivial task that involves many hundreds of lines of code replicating the behavior of the game and it was only possible because of the works of Ghostwolf, which I translated nearly directly from JavaScript into Java.
    • "Squirt" mode particles will emit at random times when they should not because of a difference between my code and Ghostwolf's code (his does not have this bug).
    • Also, priority plane and layering are known to have issues.
  • Added a JSON parser that loads the "filealiases.json" data when using CASC. This file is used by the 1.30 and 1.31 clients to support removed legacy files inside the Warcraft III game, and it will now be supported by the Retera Model Studio when viewing models. This will fix missing textures in some instances when the textures were not missing in-game.
  • Changed the default application data folder to be named "ReteraStudio" instead of "JWC3". This change removes bad interactions with the "Matrix Eater" application where the "Retera Model Studio" and "Matrix Eater" would write clashing versions of the same data to the same settings file (see "AppData/Roaming/ReteraStudio" on your computer).
    • This will cause a reset of all user settings for the Retera Model Studio version v0.03.
    • If you wish to avoid a settings reset, copy your settings file from "AppData/Roaming/JWC3". However I do not promise backwards compatibility.
  • Fixed an issue with the Quick Browse option so that turning it off and on will work correctly.
  • Added a scroll bar to the "Change Animation Lengths (by Scaling)" popup. (Thanks Mythic!) This popup is now listed under the "Scripts" menu.
  • Added 3 new GUI Themes: HiFi, Acryl, and Aluminium. These are all from the JTattoo library. Also, the "Dark" theme was technically the "Noire" theme from the JTattoo library, and it has been renamed accordingly. Aluminium is now the default theme (this can still be changed in the Preferences Window).
  • Changed code in the BLP loading pipeline used for rendering models and icons that aims to avoid destruction of texture data that is beneath an alpha channel yet loaded on a model's surface regardless of the alpha channel. Previously visual artifacts were visible in some cases that were not in accordance with how the textures would display in the Warcraft III game.
  • Added an "Edit" button in the Time Bound Chooser panel, but it does not actually work yet and will be fixed in a future version.
  • Changed some code with the "X" button on the program and how closing model files functions, so that it should not be able to bug out and fail to close a model or fail to close the application in a way unexpected by the user.
  • Added a system in the 3D displays that compares the aspect ratios known to the application with the aspect ratios known to the graphics card that attempts to use this information to fix the renderer when used on desktops that have the UI Scale setting specified. This was tested on Windows 10 with the UI scale, and it still fails on multiple monitor configurations where the second or third monitor have differing UI Scale specified. However, it should always work correctly on the main display when previously it may not have worked correctly at all.
  • Added a Preferences option to disable rendering particle emitters, as well as a separate option to disable rendering particle emitters in the Editor view.
  • Changed the "Use Boxes for Pivot Points" option so that it also affects the 2D displays in the Animation Editor.
  • Changed the Right-Click mouse button not to do anything on the Outliner widget, so that it can popup an "Edit" option on a popup menu in a future version of the software.
  • Changed the code that converts program data to MDX at Save time, so that some models that previously would not save due to state corruption inside the Model Studio will now be able to save. There may be more similar bugs yet to be fixed.
  • Changed the SLK parser used to load Unit Data so that it should be able to load data from the Reign of Chaos and from Project Revolution, in case users wish to load that data using the new game data source choosing settings.
  • Changed the Unit Browser to reload its contents when the program data source is changed. Previously, the "View -> Change Game Directory" option was likely to change the internal setting but keep previously cached information in the Unit Browser.
  • Added a command line option, "-forcedataprompt" to force the program to start with the Data Source Chooser window, so that users can specify their Warcraft III game data source without launching the application.
  • Changed how missing textures resolve so that they should resolve to a white surface. This should hopefully remove the irritating popup.
  • Attempted to make the Perspective view constantly repaint itself to always update dynamically, however in practice this is still not working in some cases.
  • Changed the texture loader so that a default Tree texture will be loaded when the replaceable texture ID is not known. This does not yet help with previewing cliff models but it means that the Mountain Giant and similar models should preview decently.
  • Added a scroll bar to the Texture Manager shown with "Tools -> Edit Textures" for use on models with many textures
  • Reorganized some of the program menus to attempt to make them more logical (Based on some suggestions from Hayate, many thanks! If only this program could be updated as quickly as his mockup UI!) More changes to these may be added in a future version, as they are still rather disorganized.
    • The new "Scripts" is a place for one-off script utilities that don't fit anywhere else, and maybe be user modifiable to include custom code in the future. At this time, it is only a preset list.
    • "Scripts -> Export Animated to Static Mesh" is a new option to build snapshot models. Unfortunately, it only snapshots the currently timeline in the Editor view, not in the Viewer that you see when you start the application. Also, it discards all node information, including Billboarded nodes, so camera-centric planes will be left to face forward instead of the camera.
    • "Edit -> Optimize" now include an option to merge all geosets that share like materials and visibility that is called "Minimize Geosets". Misha and a few other users have been asking for this option for years. I have not tested it very extensively and there may still be bugs in it. It worked on one or two sample cases that I experimented with.
  • In v0.01/v0.02 I added an option in Program Preferences to allow loading Non-BLP textures, so that users can open a PNG file or a model that references a PNG file even though these are generally not valid MDX files when used inside the Warcraft III game. This option may have been changed in the newer one to fix bugs, according to some of my code history information.
  • Fixed a crash relating to parsing WTS files for unit data, such as when the Data Source Chooser is used to load a custom map file as an MPQ.
  • Changed "Error: A matrix's bone id was not referencing a real bone!" to be a console log line instead of a popup, so that users do not receive a spamming wave of popups when opening a model file.
  • Changed the model parser to accept models with missing Pivot Points (as the Warcraft III game does), so that the Retera Model Studio is able to open some MDX models that previously would have caused a crash popup.
v0.02:
  • Removed Hive Browser UI mockup that did not work
  • Wrapped the startup code in a block that will catch and display errors in a GUI
  • Fixed an issue where users who had never run the Matrix Eater application in the past would have the Retera Model Studio application crash the first time it was run
Personal note: On the Matrix Eater application, I left a note where I said:
I really wanted to revamp this program and add new features and write a tutorial before I uploaded it onto the Hive, but I just haven't had time recently, and I want to stop sitting on this updated version because it has several internal fixes that should make it less likely to save buggy MDX models and so I feel the community deserves this new version in case anybody is using the program -- regardless of whether I end up getting the time to improve it to match up with my dreams or not.

This application does not solve that concern of mine. I am not uploading this as a finished product. But as we have seen with Patch 1.31, some times, software is pushed into production when it isn't ready. That is the case with this application. I want more than I have. I just can't stand not to share with the community what I have anymore, because I feel a deep sense of guilt for anyone who is using the Matrix Eater application and forcing themselves to mod on Patch 1.26 or some nonsense, while the above application existed on my computer and has for almost a year.

I believe in the power of open source, and this application is entirely open source. I have been developing it for about two years since the Matrix Eater was posted, and it has evolved out of the same codebase. This is the same GitHub link that was included on the Matrix Eater program, but it now contains the source for Retera Model Studio:
Retera/JWC3
Previews
Contents

Retera Model Studio 0.04.4m (For Patch 1.33) (Binary)

Retera's Model Studio 0.4.5k (Experimental) (Binary)

Reviews
Archian
If it wasn't for this tool, Reforged Modeling wouldn't have become what it is today. In recognition of this, the Hive Administration team awards Retera's Model Studio a Director's Cut status. @Retera
Level 9
Small question, I want to make a small edit to a model, to change a Peasant model to give him a Militia axe to replace his hammer, but keep the rest the same.

I heard this should be fairly easy, but I downloaded the tool and tried to click some menu's, but couldn't figure it out. I have a very basic knowledge on making small changes in magos, but I'm fairly new to this. Maybe someone could point me to the right direction?

Level 2
Small question, I want to make a small edit to a model, to change a Peasant model to give him a Militia axe to replace his hammer, but keep the rest the same.

I heard this should be fairly easy, but I downloaded the tool and tried to click some menu's, but couldn't figure it out. I have a very basic knowledge on making small changes in magos, but I'm fairly new to this. Maybe someone could point me to the right direction?
Hi, in my opinion, you need to do a few steps to achieve your goal.

1. Delete the hammer of the peasant model.
2. Import the Militia axe to the peasant model. Example:
3. Adjust the position and the angle of the axe base on the peasant to looks like he holds his axe in the normal way.
4. In the Edit part, select all part of the axe and right-click the axe to use "Re-assign Matrix" Then, for example, if you decide to make the peasant hold his axe with his right hand, you just click "bone_hand_right", then click "use bones" button, and click "accept". That's all.

Plus: Try to look Retera's tutorials on his Youtube channel, it is very helpful.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 52
Level 2
Hi, I have a question about material visibility.
For instance, in the peasant model, the gold or wood is only visible in his few animations. Then, I found there has "1" or "0" in the second column of the Alpha, Component, Model part. It looks like "1" means visible and "0" means invisible. However, this column can't be edited. So, does anyone knows how to adjust the material visibility or how to edit that column of data? Thank you.:psmile:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 58
Level 2
The current release of RMS has the material editor in read-only mode because it hasn't been fully implemented yet. You can still edit all model data manually by saving the model as .MDL then opening it in a text/code editor
Thanks. I will have a try.

I am aware of the issues that some users are having with the new patch and taking a look. This program does not work on my computer after upgrading to 1.32.10, either. This might be a good time for me to encourage people to switch to the version @twilac has been continuing to upgrade during my absence of laziness and so I might post that version here instead. I'm sure we will work something out. If you find yourself stuck and unable to use the Retera Model Studio, as a temporary workaround you can follow the tutorial for what we used to have to do during the Reforged Beta -- this works as a fallback and should work again in this situation, it's just painful and time consuming to set up.

I'm sure the main/easy-to-use configuration that people are used to will probably be fixed with a new version on this thread probably by the end of the week or so. I usually have the most amount of free time available on the weekend and so if nothing else I can probably fix it then.

Level 31
I am aware of the issues that some users are having with the new patch and taking a look. This program does not work on my computer after upgrading to 1.32.10, either. This might be a good time for me to encourage people to switch to the version @twilac has been continuing to upgrade during my absence of laziness and so I might post that version here instead. I'm sure we will work something out. If you find yourself stuck and unable to use the Retera Model Studio, as a temporary workaround you can follow the tutorial for what we used to have to do during the Reforged Beta -- this works as a fallback and should work again in this situation, it's just painful and time consuming to set up.

I'm sure the main/easy-to-use configuration that people are used to will probably be fixed with a new version on this thread probably by the end of the week or so. I usually have the most amount of free time available on the weekend and so if nothing else I can probably fix it then.
oh ok) thanks for the answer

Level 4

The RMS is what gives Reforged modifiers survival, it is natural for the community to be even more anxious every day, but we will go without stress.
Cheerings is what will not be missing for corrections. Good luck with the adjustments. :peasant-cheers-back:

Level 3
If you guys just want to use the tool without linking all casc and reforged stuff, just press clear all button, when the program asks for warcraft 3 directory, press ok and ok at the error messages and open the program again. Retera model studio will open clean and you can then load your models and edit them.

The bundle has been updated with support for Patch 1.32.10.17165 (and the modified TVFS formatting that was causing MalformedCASCStructureException: inconsistent size) ! Thanks again to DrSuperGood for a quick turnaround time on fixing JCASC for us.

I also updated the application title bar to note the update, so you will know if you have the new version because it will say "~Supports only War3 1.32.10.17165~" on the top.

Edit: Please note that this updated version supports older MPQ-using Warcraft 3 patches (i.e. 1.26) but is no longer compatible with Warcraft III Patch 1.30/1.31 because of the CASC structural difference.

Level 2
I still can´t open most of the textures in the editor, they are just showing white (My Version is 1.32.10.17165).
It doesn´t load the standard game units. Can I manually navigate to wc3 Folder?
Is there a link to download 0.05?
Greetings, and thank you for your work :)

Attachments

• ReteraScreenshot.jpg
    ReteraScreenshot.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 59
Level 3
The bundle has been updated with support for Patch 1.32.10.17165 (and the modified TVFS formatting that was causing MalformedCASCStructureException: inconsistent size) ! Thanks again to DrSuperGood for a quick turnaround time on fixing JCASC for us.

I also updated the application title bar to note the update, so you will know if you have the new version because it will say "~Supports only War3 1.32.10.17165~" on the top.

Edit: Please note that this updated version supports older MPQ-using Warcraft 3 patches (i.e. 1.26) but is no longer compatible with Warcraft III Patch 1.30/1.31 because of the CASC structural difference.
Thanks for updating the studio Retera! Now we can mod the game once more!

Level 3
I still can´t open most of the textures in the editor, they are just showing white (My Version is 1.32.10.17165).
It doesn´t load the standard game units. Can I manually navigate to wc3 Folder?
Is there a link to download 0.05?
Greetings, and thank you for your work
Hey man you can add the folders that contain your textures at the preferences window menu. I can see this is a custom model so you'll need to do this to help the program find your missing textures. Click at the edit menu on the top of your screen, then you'll find the preferences window option. Click it. Go to Warcraft Data tab, click add folder and find the folders that contain your textures. Then you press ok and the studio will find your missing textures. The thing here is that the program found some of your textures but not all. You can edit the path to your textures at the model tab or add your textures folders at the Warcraft Data tab.

Last edited:
Level 5
How do I make a model use multiple animations from units that use different bones and objects? For example, I want to make my model have the blademaster crit animation and I also want it to have the spirit wolf attack animation. I've tried using 2 models (1 for each animation) and having only 1 be visible when the animation happens but it makes my model looks twitchy, it doesn't blend into the next animation. How can I fix it?

Last edited:
Level 4
How do I make a model use multiple animations from units that use different bones and objects? For example, I want to make my model have the blademaster crit animation and I also want it to have the spirit wolf attack animation. I've tried using 2 models (1 for each animation) and having only 1 be visible when the animation happens but it makes my model look twitchy, it doesn't blend into the next animation. How can I fix it?
There are several ways for you to transfer animations between models. As you can see in the photo, this way you add a single specific animation.
Ideally, you should check beforehand if the Bones match correctly between the models, there are usually conflicts due to the relatives not matching in the same sequence and between the accessories that are in different Bones, sometimes it requires editing, changing the knot names of a weapon or shield to match that of the new animation ...
There cases that it is necessary to have experience to be able to correct the lack of synchrony between the bones, but most of the times the combination between the animations has good results automatically.
I usually save the accessories that do not correspond to the Bones of the new model in a single file, deleting the entire model, leaving only the Geosets and Bones that are part of these accessories. Then I import (see attached photo) this file overlaying the accessories of the new Geosets and Bones on my main model.
When you want to disappear some type of Geoset in a given animation, in RMS you will have to convert .MDX to .MDL format, then modify in notepad which part of the model and in which interval of the animation you want to remove the visualization. At the moment, Retera has not yet been updated to make this edition of Materials within it.

Attachments

• add animation.png
    add animation.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 71
  • import new objects.png
    import new objects.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Convert to SD is not a real concept. I put that button in for myself for a quick joke test one time, and then I forgot to delete it before publishing the program. Since then, apparently people use it and think of it as a legitimate thing, which is goofy. I am not particularly interested in supporting that feature. If people want that feature, I would suggest downloading the sourcecode of Retera Model Studio from github and then recompiling your own version with a more advanced "convert to SD" feature where you as the developer are liberated to define convert to SD to mean whatever it is that you TRULY mean or TRULY wish to do.

Level 5
Convert to SD is not a real concept. I put that button in for myself for a quick joke test one time, and then I forgot to delete it before publishing the program. Since then, apparently people use it and think of it as a legitimate thing, which is goofy. I am not particularly interested in supporting that feature. If people want that feature, I would suggest downloading the sourcecode of Retera Model Studio from github and then recompiling your own version with a more advanced "convert to SD" feature where you as the developer are liberated to define convert to SD to mean whatever it is that you TRULY mean or TRULY wish to do.
u should add that, a great feature, some modder could make better campaign or map for sd version using reforged models

Level 4
I'm already creating a remastering for the sd version that's why I said about the tree
I don't even mean this case so much , but ... I believe that SD does have functionality.
A lot of people tend to manipulate animations outside of Retera's.
Due to the facility being greater in other tools for animation. The SD / HD conversion I find very useful.

I'm already creating a remastering for the sd version that's why I said about the tree
at the same time as i was testing writing that HD->SD button, I wrote a program to convert all models in the game and computer generate a mod of patch 1.26 with them. It took about 30 min to run. Dont spend longer than that clicking convert on models one by one, otherwise you're wasting your time and you should get a programmer.

It was a bad idea tho. Pointless mod. I will not help make it for other people because it no longer interests me, I'm just saying, it's very possible

at the same time as i was testing writing that HD->SD button, I wrote a program to convert all models in the game and computer generate a mod of patch 1.26 with them. It took about 30 min to run. Dont spend longer than that clicking convert on models one by one, otherwise you're wasting your time and you should get a programmer.

It was a bad idea tho. Pointless mod. I will not help make it for other people because it no longer interests me, I'm just saying, it's very possible
Sorry but, the mod is not useless, there are people for whom Warcraft 3 reforged does not work, and for the Hispanic and Latin American community they erased our old dubbing in addition to making you pay for the game again when we had already bought it in the past. , that is, it does not pay to buy warcraft 3 reforged since it is the very definition of scam or theft

I've watched Warglaive's videos and yeah holy shit the new voicing is really soulless even though I don't speak spanish (though I understood some words since I'm Filipino)
look at what a coincidence, warglaive is a friend of mine haha, but if the truth is a horror about the dubbing, I also do not understand why Reteras took my comment so badly, guy never asked him to develop the mod for classic only the error of the tree of corrupt life XD

Level 5
look at what a coincidence, warglaive is a friend of mine haha, but if the truth is a horror about the dubbing, I also do not understand why Reteras took my comment so badly, guy never asked him to develop the mod for classic only the error of the tree of corrupt life XD
he just show you his point of view, nothing really bad here

Level 6
Hi Retera, I have a question about adding single animations, let's say I transfer the archer animation to footman. In reteras model studio, the animation is displayed as I need, but in the game or editor, the model loses all geocets, only attach points and bones remain, deleting this animation does not help, and does not restore the model. Most often, everything works as it should, and the animation is transferred. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? how do I restore visibility to a model?

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 33
Hi Retera, I have a question about adding single animations, let's say I transfer the archer animation to footman. In reteras model studio, the animation is displayed as I need, but in the game or editor, the model loses all geocets, only attach points and bones remain, deleting this animation does not help, and does not restore the model. Most often, everything works as it should, and the animation is transferred. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? how do I restore visibility to a model?
you should also not import objects if they're not really needed.; having similar event/spawn objects may cause each other to clash and would not be visible

when all else fails check Hive's sanity test

Level 6
you should also not import objects if they're not really needed.; having similar event/spawn objects may cause each other to clash and would not be visible

when all else fails check Hive's sanity test
In general, I found an alternative solution, used the old method of transferring animations via Ctrl+Shift+S, and there is no such problem

Level 1
I like your software very much.But there is no tutorial about your software in China.Does your software have a tutorial file to download?I really hope you have a Chinese version of your software.It would be great if you could merge the tutorial help documentation with the software.

Level 1
Con todo el respeto que te mereces, amigo, te sigo desde el grupo de Warcraft Resources Reforged y, para ser honesto, el grupo era divertido al comienzo, pero cuando este señor quiso acaparar todo (modelos, campañas, etc) menospreciando incluso los modelos de otros, ahí el grupo se tornó aburrido y sin sentido de equipo, no dejando que otros suban sus versiones de otros modelos. Debería haber alguien que le haga el pare a este tipo porque ya harta de que esté siempre con sus aires de superioridad y soberbia, lo cual es irónico porque cuando comenzó, su conocimiento sobre modelaje, team color y demás era el mismo que tienen aquellos que recién comienzan. Estoy seguro que muchos hubieran preferido de que distintas personas se encargaran una por una de hacer las razas, en lugar de que tú abarcaras todo y quisieras imponer tus modelos por el de sobre los demás. Encima se jacta de la amistad de Warglaive cuando, en realidad, lo que tuvo Francisco es suerte, pues cualquiera pudo haber hecho un canal sobre los magnificos modelos que se subían al grupo (acéptalo, hay quienes siempre lo harán mejor que tú) y ganar seguidores a costa del trabajo de otros. Encima te aprovechaste de los descubrimientos de otros para apropiártelos y quedar como el que más sabe del grupo. Termino esto diciéndote de que si nadie en el grupo pudo hacerte el pare, estoy aquí para hacerlo. Eso sin mencionar de que usas modelos que otros subieron sin siquiera agradecerles o darles los créditos en tus videos.
I don't know what you're saying.

Level 2
Retera has uploaded some videos on his youtube channel. You can learn from it. However, his videos don't demonstrate all the functions so that you may post your specific questions here to ask for help.

Level 6
i'm trying to delete a few animations from a native model using the Edit/delete model components script and am running into an error. im very inexperienced with model editing, but i didn't see anyone with the same error or a similar issue. sorry if this has already been answered in another way!

Unknown error occurred:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract\matrixeater_anonymousMDL
at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.gui.datachooser.FolderDataSource.<init>(FolderDataSource.java:32)
at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.mdl.EditableModel.setFileRef(EditableModel.java:159)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.nullmodelFile(MainPanel.java:5635)
at com.matrixeater.src.MainPanel.actionPerformed(MainPanel.java:4164)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$400(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract\matrixeater_anonymousMDL
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileAttributeViews$Basic.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.readAttributes(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.getAttributes(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.visit(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeWalker.walk(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.FileTreeIterator.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.walk(Unknown Source)
at java.nio.file.Files.walk(Unknown Source)
at com.hiveworkshop.wc3.gui.datachooser.FolderDataSource.<init>(FolderDataSource.java:25)
... 41 more

i can open RMS, select my install directory and access the HD timber wolf model through the unit browser successfully. i can also view the animations i want to delete successfully. the error only appears when i select Scripts < Edit/delete model components

i have java installed
java version "1.8.0_281"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_281-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.281-b09, mixed mode)

alternatively, i'm able to use magos' editor to delete animations on sd models but i dont know how to use it on hd models without getting a "Expected a 'LAYS' tag, got a '' tag!" error

any suggestions are appreciated!

Level 17
Magos's War3ModelEditor hasn't been updated in years, so it can't support HD, or even v1000 SD, models.
The first thing you can try is to delete RMS and get the latest version (this error should be fixed in one of the builds).
In case that doesn't work, try making the folder C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract then try again, and if even that didn't fix the error, make the folder C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract\matrixeater_anonymousMDL as well and try then.
If even this doesn't help, delete the two folders you just made and try getting a beta version (these require Java 16 but it is linked in the beta's post) here.

Level 6
In case that doesn't work, try making the folder C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract then try again, and if even that didn't fix the error, make the folder C:\Users\segal\AppData\Local\Temp\MatrixEaterExtract\matrixeater_anonymousMDL as well and try then.
Thanks for the suggestion Bogdan, that fixed the issue! No more idle animations for these wolves

Level 1
Few potentially dumb questions.

Is there a way to make portraits for models without them, or adjust the portrait for a model if no separate portrait file exists? If so, how would I go about this?

Also, is there a way to change the skins on a model? For example, if I extract the Footman model can I replace his default skin with a custom one and save it so I don't have to upload the skin file to a map too?
The "Edit Textures" function doesn't seem to automatically save, and the only thing I can edit under the "Materials" tab is Filter Mode. I can't add or delete layers, or change textures.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Level 17
One by one:
Portraits: if a model doesn't have a separate _portrait file, the portrait is decided using the portrait camera on the main model (and the animation names the portrait files will have had iirc)
Skins: you will have to make a copy of the model for every skin, and change the texture paths of the model to where you will place the different textures. A model cannot have textures inside itself, it only has file paths to the textures.

Level 3
Hello, author!
I would like to make a few comments.
The first is about particles.
The software's current particle display has two problems.
1.Particles have no effect of Variation.
2.In fact, the emission rate of particles is not emitted at the same time, but in turn.
I hope it can be improved! Thanks you Sir!
Finally, I would like to say whether this software can separate the castration preview part into a software for 3dsmax to watch the actual effect of the model. Because Warcraft models are actually made in 3dsmax more often.
If you can do it, it's really a great thing. Your tool can cooperate with the neodex script of “Blinkboy” and the wc3reborn script of “Taylor mouse”!
In addition, it seems that the tool does not support viewing MDL format models?
You can do it,sir!

Last edited: