• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Retconning and what you think of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I am uncertain if this thread was created before on the hive but I was unable to find anything similar using the search function. Either way, this thread is about the massive changes made to the warcraft lore with the coming of the world of warcraft and what you think of them. I found this thread - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-town-hall-99/new-warcraft-lore-199731/ - which shows that more people are more or less displeased with the direction in which blizzard chose to go with the warcraft lore.

I would say that the changes brought about by WoW almost qualify for the distinction between warcraft and world of warcraft lore. The genocide and total war that was present in warcraft seems to have been replaced and now more and more races are living together in peace and populating the world. The horde/alliance divide is what's keeping the world from fully transitioning into a peaceful place where things like genocide of the high elves or destruction of lordaeron are in the past. This sort of approach is fitting an MMORPG where races can't be killed off since that would upset fans, but is it recommendable story-wise? The spirit in which the warcraft franchise was largely based on combating factions annihilating each other. In warcraft I the orcs massacre the humans, in warcraft II the humans massacre the orcs, in warcraft III the undead massacre the humans and the high elves; this theme of genocide and death is not consistent in the world of warcraft.

On the contrary more and more races are experiencing a resurrection of one sort or another. Almost all races grow in strength with little to no suffering massive defeats; it feels like blizzard is pandering to every race at the same time, everyone is a winner.

Personally I have no affection for the more peaceful spirit of WoW and am inclined to consider the WoW lore with all its retcons as separate from warcraft lore which officially ends with the frozen throne story. What do you think about this sort of approach and of how blizzard chose a new direction with their warcraft franchise?

Level 23
I would say that the changes brought about by WoW almost qualify for the distinction between warcraft and world of warcraft lore. The genocide and total war that was present in warcraft seems to have been replaced and now more and more races are living together in peace and populating the world. The horde/alliance divide is what's keeping the world from fully transitioning into a peaceful place where things like genocide of the high elves or destruction of lordaeron are in the past. This sort of approach is fitting an MMORPG where races can't be killed off since that would upset fans, but is it recommendable story-wise? The spirit in which the warcraft franchise was largely based on combating factions annihilating each other. In warcraft I the orcs massacre the humans, in warcraft II the humans massacre the orcs, in warcraft III the undead massacre the humans and the high elves; this theme of genocide and death is not consistent in the world of warcraft.

Im inclined to agree.
But in the end, MMOs are what they are. World changing lore elements are very hard to pull off in such games, negative ones even more so.

If you were suddenly say "between X and Y patches/expansions there was a genocide of Z race". Saying it in lore is one thing, actually making it feel that way in-game is another. You'd have to cut down the number of Npcs in game for one, making sure you don't lose any important quest givers or player utilities (merchants etc.) on the way.
All that said, if that race happens to be a popular player choice, all that will still be in vain, since you'll see plenty of Z race being played anyway.

On the contrary more and more races are experiencing a resurrection of one sort or another. Almost all races grow in strength with little to no suffering massive defeats; it feels like blizzard is pandering to every race at the same time, everyone is a winner.

Positive changes are much easier to implement. You could say "between X and Y patches/expansions, Z race unlocked an ancient secret" ie. you release a new race+class combo for said race.

The end of the matter is MMOs live off huge quantities of content, anything that subtracts or modifies existing content is mostly a waste of resources. As such, whatever story elements that come with it can only have so much gravity attached.

Level 12
Quite a discouraging reversal to the lore when it revolves around the gameplay mechanics; the story is what suffers most from all this. However, I think that it is not much different in the warcraft strategy as it is suitable for the genre to have lots of death, carnage, and conquest; exactly what blizzard did with these games story-wise.

It appears one way or the other that blizzard has little interest in its lore and works with it only with the intention to make it fit the game genre. The switch from RTS to MMORPG, however, makes the difference in the style of the lore so palpable that it is difficult to find immersion in the game knowing the events of the RTS warcraft.

Level 23
Quite a discouraging reversal to the lore when it revolves around the gameplay mechanics;

I wouldn't consider it a reversal of the lore so much as a failure to deliver impact via the story.
Pretty sure if you tallied all the Pvp kills/battlegrounds won ever, the toll would be staggering. The issue IMO is not that they have changed the story feel, but the game genre holding back much that can actually be felt tangibly by players in the game.

Its not really a ret-con since it doesn't change anything previously established.
Its just the limitations of MMORPG storytelling in action.

Level 21
Yes I too consider WoW and Warcraft two separated series. Honestly I hate how WoW makes old Warcraft games irrelevant as it reduces constantly significance of those events and changes what ever they want. I should really one day start a project and list everything that was retconed but also question everything new that was added.

By the way I do think WoW does have genocides and can be hardly be peaceful. For example Ice Trolls are now gone and neutral races mostly suffer greatly being crushed between two superpowers. It is Cold War really, heck in Panadaria we literally have examples of Horde and Alliance forcing native races to fight each other for Cold War ideals. And main races suffer too, like further continuation of human genocide in northern EK territories and nuking of Theramore, the battle for Gilneas. The status quo does prevent for crippling defeats as neither side is allowed to be gone but the neutral forces aren't being spared.

As for gameplay dictating story that was most likely always true. Far more obvious in MMO but I don't think when they made Wc3 that they were thinking any differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.