• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Resident Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay fellas, first post on the forums and whatnot, figured that I could post a work-in-progress of mine.

Resident Warcraft: A mash up between the Resident Evil and Warcraft 3 universes, with a Left 4 Dead style of play. If you've played Left 4 Dead versus before, then you'll know it's a team of survivors against a team of infected. The survivors have to reach certain goals while the infected have to stop the survivors from reaching those goals. The S.T.A.R.S. team have no shared vision, so they have to stick together.

The S.T.A.R.S. Team

The Footman: The "tank" of the team, the Footman was a farmer trained to use basic weapons. He was put on the team for his vitality which he gained from hard labour rather then his intelligence or fighting skills.

The Hunter: A hunter of game and a recluse by nature, the Hunter joined S.T.A.R.S. to act as a scout. Armed with a hunting bow.

The Priest: An advisor to the team, the Priest uses the support of divine spirits to keep his team in good health and to smite his foes.

The Rifleman:
Usually high-in-stature dwarf, the Rifleman is a crack shot and acts as the team's sharpshooter.

The Captain: Wisened veteran of many battles, however, he has a drinking problem due to the mental scars he has inflicted on himself.

Each member has interactive dialogue with the environment and the situation as it occurs. For example, when one of them first gets attacked by a zombie, they express their surprise. Each member also has a unique ability. The members aren't actually heroes, so you don't get experience from killing zombies.

Weapons: Each S.T.A.R.S. member gets a standard weapon which they start with, which enables a special ability for them. Upon spawning, other weapons will spawn randomly throughout the map, each weapon granting a new ability in place of the old ability. For example, if I equipped Glass Arrows for a Hunter, it would replace my "Penetration" buff from my normal arrows with a bleeding buff. No weapon ability has an edge above the others, they are all designed for different effects.

The Infected

The Infected players have the goal of killing the S.T.A.R.S. team. They can spawn as several varieties of zombie, ranging from the spider-like Creeper to the hulking Juggernaut. Each infected player has vision of the S.T.A.R.S. team at all times, so they know exactly where they are.

The Subduer: Can switch between the use of mutated salivia which slows down targets and a pair of claws which can damage a target over time. The subduer is fairly fast and has average health.

The Rager: A beserker, the Rager's savage attacks cause armour to be crushed, and it can work itself into a frenzy which causes it to attack and move faster, but take more damage. More health, slower.

The Creeper: Spider-like zombie which has a surprise attack and webbing. Has the least health, but moves the fastest.

The Horde: When selected, a zombie horde will spawn under a player's control. If a zombie horde is active or has died recently, another zombie horde cannot spawn.

The Juggernaut: A boss zombie which spawns every 7 minutes of gametime, the Juggernaut is extremely resilient yet slow. He is also capable of throwing boulders and leaping short distances. When he spawns, he will be given to a player at random. If that player has left or the slot was empty, another player will have to use their spawner and possess the Juggernaut. A zombie horde cannot be spawned if a Juggernaut is active or if a Juggernaut died recently.

Other Ideas
A "scoring system", which gives you score for every zombie you kill if you're STARS. You could trade in score for herbs or other items. With this idea, however, I have yet to figure out how the scoring system could apply to the infected. Perhaps I could make it so a zombie horde costs a certain amount of score to spawn.

Additional infected creatures could be added, along with additional S.T.A.R.S. members, to add overall variety to gameplay. I will probably add these with later versions of the map.

Special non-player controlled infected, as suggested by Kettle (thank you, by the way). One idea is a "Contaminator". It taints an area with noxious gas, providing a buff to nearby wandering zombies and providing a debuff to the S.T.A.R.S. team. If the contaminator makes contact with a S.T.A.R.S. member, the S.T.A.R.S. team has a set amount of time to kill it before the Contaminator provokes nearby zombies to rush the team. I am very open for ideas for these sorts of zombies, feel free to suggest one.

Last edited:
Level 2
how about instead of having a score system for the infected, the infected switch spots with a STARS member when they kill them. then the dead stars guy loses all of his score and turns into a zombie while the previous infected turns into the STARS player they just killed, and start off with like 5 free score.

Level 3
I luv left 4 dead.
Why not make a witch - like zombie? Passive zombie, that spawns in random location and only attacks if somebody attacks her. She could also drop a special award for the team, such as herbs or temporary boost item.

Another suggestion would be to make hordes uncontrolable. It might be hard for a single person to efficiently (is there such a word? screw my english) control entire horde. Instead, you may draw inspiration from the Screamer (http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Screamer), giving him ability to summon a small computer controled horde and some long range offensive ability to make sure he stays out of line of fire.

Hope this comment is useful :)

Edit: grammar.

how about instead of having a score system for the infected, the infected switch spots with a STARS member when they kill them. then the dead stars guy loses all of his score and turns into a zombie while the previous infected turns into the STARS player they just killed, and start off with like 5 free score.

It's a good suggestion, but my concern is that the S.T.A.R.S. team would win no matter what then, because every time one of them dies a fresh member will replace the dead one.

Why not make a witch - like zombie? Passive zombie, that spawns in random location and only attacks if somebody attacks her. She could also drop a special award for the team, such as herbs or temporary boost item.

Another suggestion would be to make hordes uncontrolable. It might be hard for a single person to efficiently (is there such a word? screw my english) control entire horde. Instead, you may draw inspiration from the Screamer (http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Screamer), giving him ability to summon a small computer controled horde and some long range offensive ability to make sure he stays out of line of fire..

Well, the Screamer idea sounds plausible, a zombie that flees then summons a horde onto the team. The witch idea could work as well, it could drop a powerful healing item and a random weapon on death. The zombies in the player-spawned horde are weaker then the zombies that wander around, and only 24 zombies spawn in a horde, meaning that it can be easily controlled.

A shameless self-bump on my part, along with a screenshot of the work I've done on the town where this is set, also featuring weather effects.
WC3ScrnShot_011610_165410_01.jpg

Not as spectacular as some of the work around here, but it's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.