• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

requesting this projectile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Can someone do this projectile that I want to use in my map for a battlecruiser? I Need it to look like that, so there is no match in the current missile but it could be based on something existing.

It needs to have a head and very long thin tail when flying. I tried, dont know how to make it so. A small explosion in the impact, same colors, so it will be nice to splash into the enemy like the way the Serpent ward splashing effect.

Yamato

It's not exactly a simple fireball. It has a bright star inside the head but it could be based off existing fireball. And the shockwave impact, is needed.

This is not my main map, as The City will be done in sc2 but in order to move on, i will need to have done this in WC3 as part of the story.

Last edited:
Here it is, if you want i can work on the shockwave.

There.

all you have to do is import them and use "YamatoModel" as the missile.
leave the paths be.

they may not be accurate, but i never played sc so i really cant tell.

Attachments

• YamatoImpact.mdx
    7.6 KB · Views: 84
  • YamatoModel.mdx
    8.8 KB · Views: 89
Level 22
I tried ikillforyou's Yamato missile but it needed to have a clear head and tail shape apart from the trail of smoke that from stars needed to be a trail of smoke. It just wasn't the best choice for Yamato. And the impact certainly needed remake.

So I'm happy to say, my request has been done, partially by me, partially by Varsaigen, with the help of ikillforyou and Pharaoh.

ATA/ATS Laser Battery (by Me)

Yamato Charge (by Varsaigen)

Yamato Missile (by Me, Firelord Missile more fiery than red is perfect as ikillerforyou's missile did not have the tail that Firelord missile has)

Yamato Impact (by Me, ikillforyou gave me a good idea to use Warstomp)

I suggest using this test map of mine, as these effects have more point when used with the right triggers.

Last edited:
Level 22
Can I ask you to do the charging as maybe birth animation of the Yamato? ( I know you are not working on it, just saying in advance)

The thing is, if the charging effect is birth animation, then when it finishes birth it show the 'stand animation, which when attached to say the front of the BC will stay as a fireball until the effect on the front of the cruiser is destroyed with a trigger. Then will resemble this:

SCIIBattlecruiserYamatoCannon.gif

Level 23
Hmmm... That'll be more difficult. I could look at how the beta model's was made, and perhaps try to tweak it to get the dotted particles to come from the air instead of the ship... That would give me a basis to work on. After that, I have a much better chance of making it almost perfect. I, however, cannot make the image warping effect that it seems to have. But I shall see what I can do about the rest :p

Edit: Ok, this is what I currently have. I couldn't get the energy to move upwards or downwards to the gun's ball of energy like in Starcraft II, but I figure that most people will be looking down on the ship, and not from a side view or infront. From above and below, it can easily trick the eyes into believing it's moving from all around the front of the ship. :/

Please tell me what you think of it, and what could be improved. I couldn't imitate the fireball. I managed it once, but forgot what made it. :/ I was not sure on how the transition between the birth anim and yamato spell-missile being fired, so I added in a flash in the end to mark the beam/missile being fired.

Attachments

• Yamato_birth.mdx
    8.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Level 22
I wanted to know if the whole Birth model could be part of the Missile itself but if it couldn't be the same model, np doesn't matter that I have to use 2 files instead of 1 ;)

You are saying you couldn't make the energy but I never asked for it as it wouldn't appear anyway. So, you did very nice job, I like it but would still ask for 3 changes:

- increase the overall speed of the animation of whole charge-make ball thing, make it very fast (see the .gif in my upper post)
- Make the colors more orange and fire-y, you know like from the above image. I see where it's colors are set but im asking you to do it since it's your model.
- After it gathers the charges in 1 ball, atm the ball appears for a while, then disappears. I think it is better after the charging when the ball appears to not disappear - to stay as a ball - that's right, charge into ball then the ball remains - because I use it so that when 'Unit finishes Casting an ability' the whole charging effect will be removed and the Missile Yamato released, while at the moment the ball will disappear before the Unit Finishes casting it. So charge into ball - leave the ball, no disappear.

Something that is texture's fault - it appears as a square around the halo. Maybe you can create the big one with the same texture you used for the small one?

I think you can cut the animation after creating this small halo in the pic below if the big halo cannot be made with a texture that doesn't appear as a square. Ofc it is better to end with the big light but if it will be square, might as well end with small.

Whether it will end with the small halo standing or the big one (if not a squary texture), it should stand and not disappear I'll get back to you in the evening, I wont be at home now. ;)

Last edited:
Level 23
I made the requested changes, but was unable to speed up the particles moving to the orb. However, I (finally) managed to get the energy ball to appear as the energy is moving towards it, just like Starcraft II's. The file has animations for 6 seconds of particles, when red and green squares appear, but the aniamtion ends at the 5 second mark, where the squares do not have a chance of appearing. So, for the 5 seconds that the animation exists, it looks pretty good.

2 days of constant work, and this becomes my first particle (spell?) that I made by myself. :3 What a pain it has been. D: (But I look forward to the missile and Yamato beam none the less XD)

I hope this fits your criteria.

Note: If the birth animation were to be applied to the missile, it would be what occured as the missile were being launched from the ship, and thus would have the charging affect moving with the missile, rather than staying with the ship before the missile is fired. It'd be like shooting a gun, and the smoke traveling with the bullet. D: (Hit by a puff of smoke, rather than a bullet. :p) So, the birth animation would be seperate from the missile file.

But had they looked the same, and the missile was the same as the birth anim, like a ball of energy being shot after growing, then one could get away with it. But the difference in design makes it look rather strange for a missile to be shaped from a traveling fireball. :p

Attachments

• Yamato_birth.mdx
    8.8 KB · Views: 73
Level 22
Tbh it was a nice surprise to see you made the moving particles so accurate, while in the beginning I thought they can't be made so precise. So, no big deal that the particles couldnt be accelerated. I hope you don't mind that I played with the colors, because only significant changes in the colors could make it the fiery effect in the above gif :)

And for the particle using Sun texture, I felt it would be better to use the Flare again and remove the sun texture (did it all). So is it ok to be with these tiny preferences? We can call the Birth done, Im not asking you to do any other thing on it, I attached the file with those little color changes I wanted.

EDIT: The model is HUGE (bigger than a Castle :p) yes, also leaves a trail to the unit I attach it to if I use it as Special FX. Instead of asking you to shrink it, I will just create an air dummy unit, shrink it, increase its animation speed and that's how I'll fix the probs.

Attachments

• Yamato_birth.mdx
    8.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Level 23
Not a problem at all. I just wanted to make sure that it looked as it should. So any minor changes to make it more accurate is perfectly fine. :)

Wow, you managed to get it to the colors I couldn't seem to reach! Oo And you're right, it does look better! :D I'm glad for your help in making this request the best it could be! :D (Even if, usually, the requester isn't supposed to do anything. XD) We are one large step closer to having the epic Yamato Cannon! :D

And I'm debating one when to release the file. (credits due of course, for your help :p (Unless you think them too minor to give credit...)) I could release it now, with the Yamato missile, or both files with one of the cruisers. I'm tempted to upload it when the Yamato missile is complete.

Level 22
Oh no need credits just for recoloring, dont worry ;> , you did it. Besides, I've tried making the fire look like in SC2 that orange but it never works - always yellowish, although WillTheAllMighty does it with his explosion effects ^^

If you feel like, it's up to you if you want to release it. The thing is it can be used well with the correct triggers only. But as I said above, the model is too large. Using it as attachment wasn't good cause too large model. It was covering whole visible area xD

Even if you scaled it, my Yamato ability takes 3 seconds to charge and with the slow animation, the missile that I use for now is launched before Charging animation finishes.

That's why instead of asking you to scale it, making a dummy with the model, scaling the dummy and changing its animation speed to 600% was the best way to do it. What's more, I had to add a trigger to move every 0.01 second the created dummy to the front of the Bcruiser, so that it stays like 'attached' to the front of the ship, otherwise is created at random point not his front.

I did the triggers btw, I can't say they are most satisfying but with reducing the dummy's size, increasing animation and making it stay attached to the BC, it sort of worked, took me time to make Bug-Fixing triggers due to the many bugs I found :)

Level 22
heh if you want to but the triggers I use dont make it run that well, I changed the values (unit size, offset distance) many times. I dont know why the small particles appear again after making the ball but it's ok. This is the best effect I could get of the triggers, dummy values plus the big model size:

SCIIBattleCruiserYamatoInWar3TFT.gif

Level 22
Thank you ikillforyou. So, whenever you decided to do the missile, you can start from scratch varsaigen, or use the already made with modifications, I even posted what changes it might needs, so im leaving that up to you too. The impact I believe may need to be made as completely new but again, you can decide that.

Level 23
Perhaps the spell charging action is lasting just a bit longer than the sped up charge animation? I'm not sure, but that may be forcing it to loop the anim to fill that gap of time after the animation, to the end of the action, before the charge is killed. It sounds like it could be it. So, drawing out the charge rate by 1/4 a second could fix the problem.

|=============|--|
charge anim (=) How long the birth animation lasts as it is, in your map (triggers)
CA (-) Charge Action (How long the trigger has the charge order last. Also has the gap due to the time/speed differences between the anim and the trigger time)

Hope the diagram helps. the dashes is the remaining time, in which the anim loops to fill that gap before the trigger fires the missile.

Last edited:
Level 22
I know what you mean and you're right. I was using 3 seconds which even felt slower than the channeling time in SC2 that is also 3 sec. Real time calculated by stop-watch is 2 seconds. So by changing from 3.00 to 2.20 not only did the charging not appear again but now channel time is as fast as in SC2, not slower. Good job

SCIIBattleCruiserYamatoInWar3TFT.gif

Last edited:
Level 23
Great! :D So now it looks better? :D So now that that problem has been resolved, we get to debug the Yamato missile when it's done, too! XD

It will be just as orange and firey, and have that look of devestating destruction :3 So, I get to study missile and explosion spell/missiles now! :D So much to learn from such a fun project! XD

Level 23
Excellent! I shall get on the Yamato missile's case as soon as possible. (It's Finals Week D:) And after the Yamato comes the Missile missile. :p [Batteries not included]

btw, the second anim vid you posted (a few posts ago) is the same exact one from the top of this page. :/

Is that your battlecruiser? Oo Or is it the closed cannon version of Fingolfin's? It looks awesome. :D

Level 22
Weird, I see the new pic without the particles - yes it is the same pic but you now dont see the particles after the ball is created :) and that's what I mean it is, i manually built the gif so, I dont wanna make new gif :)

You are right about speed. I set animation to 200% in the triggers with 2.30 channel duration. 200% Isn't fast enough. But if I were to make it 300-500%that means I have to also reduce the duration of the channel to be like 1.5 or so, which would be too fast. So I made it 200% with 2.3 - even if the animation isnt as fast as in SC2, the duration is :)

The BC is a real model from the time when I experimented with M3 models :)

Status
Not open for further replies.