• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[REQUEST] Archer with 20% miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Can someone teach me(step by step) how to make my archers(default/vanilla: Night Elf Archer unit) have 20% chance to miss permanently?

Level 2
Give them an Evasion ability with 20% chance to miss.

Your less than helpful assistance is ambiguous.

Assuming "them" is my archers then it is impossible. There is no such data or field under Evasion that gives chance to miss.

Assuming "them" is all my units except archers then you clearly haven't put much thought into my request.

Where are all the professional helpers?

Level 33
You're expecting a help but turn down very negatively towards helper that tried to help you, good luck.

Also, you expect people to give detailed solution while you just gave them very few perspective of your problem.

You explain in a simple way, people also explain in a simple way, it's common sense.

Level 2
You're expecting a help but turn down very negatively towards helper that tried to help you, good luck.

Also, you expect people to give detailed solution while you just gave them very few perspective of your problem.

You explain in a simple way, people also explain in a simple way, it's common sense.

I explained in a simple way because the request was simple.

Most people want a detailed solution to their problem, it's common sense. Not more riddles or problems.

The response I made towards him was perhaps negative that's because it's most likely he did not give much thought into it and maybe he only wanted a high post count.

Level 33
Does any unit in your map has the ability to "debuff" buff from unit(s) ?
If no, it's easier as you would need to order dummy caster to cast Curse (or any other miss-based abilities) to the Archer.

Now tell me, where does Archer comes from ?
Trained ? Pre-defined ? Completing quest ?

The event itself should determine when the Archer gonna receive the debuff.

Level 7
lol. So he wants the archers to have a 20% chance for himself or even for his foes that he is attacking. Its beyond simple. Yet he is do defensive about suggestions.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Curse can give the effected unit a chance to miss. Make a dummy curse with a duration of 0 (infinite) and a miss chance of 20%. Every time an archer comes into existence (unit is built/spawned/trained etc) you get a dummy unit to cast this dummy curse (same order as curse) onto the archer.

For a professional look you can use a dummy passive (moon Glaive is an example, an ability with a command card button but has no effect) and use that to describe the dummy curse. Changing the standard curse buff for something more appropriate would also be a good idea.

One potential problem with this method is abilities that dispel units could possibly remove the dummy curse from the archers restoring full accuracy. A hacky solution to this problem would be to use a dummy unit to recast the ability on all archers that lose the buff every time a dispel ability is cast. The brute force approach would be to check every archer on the map every time some dispel is used (after it has effected the units, a wait of 0.1 could make sure and even with inaccuracy it still is fast enough to not allow dispel abuse).

There might be problems if curse is used by enemies onto the archer. You will need to check this case and try and find a solution.

If all this does not work professionally enough, you can always try the statistical approach. A unit with a built in 1:5 miss chance should only deal 80% damage. You could represent this reduction in damage by incorporating it into attacks so average damage remains the same but the unit is always hitting for less damage. If you want a random element to it you could represent the 80% reduction as damage range. Lowering the minimum damage by 40% will also get the unit to deal 80% damage but will make it more random (like the archer scrapes a unit instead of hitting it full on).

Balance wise this converts into an 80% reduction. It is not required to have the unit miss 1 in 5 attacks to obtain this output damage. Especially if the unit is massed (dozens of archers) then you should really consider my alternatives as it would be far easier and quicker to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.