• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Replaceable Textures for coat of arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey there,

I have a question about replaceable textures. My goal is to have a system with a bunch of symbols for the players coat of arms, which would be displayed layered over their teamcolour on shields and flags and such.

Now I saw in Gaias ORPG that when you equip or unequip an armor you change the skin of your character, as this goes very smoothly and has a lot of variations for all heroes I figured it probably works somehow with replaceable textures, as importing a model for every texture variation would blow up map size, as well as creating a model with all animations duplicated for every texture variation.

Now my question is, can I somehow import my symbols as replaceable textures which I could then change ingame and if yes how. How would I import them and what triggers would I need to use to change them?

(I know how to edit and create models and their materials aswell as textures. I use Margos, Mdlvis, and Gimp)

Thank you all in advance

Level 23
The mountain giant ability to pickup trees allows us to change textures on a unit. He is not refering to attaching a model to a unit but changing the unit texture itself.
It is not easily done, you must create destructables with the replacable texture you want for the unit, and then order it to use a modified mountain giant tree grab. Unfortunately as far as I know you can only have one replacable texture per unit (Could be wrong about this, though I'm 99% sure)

Furthermore, I don't know if you can have a team colored spot in a replacable texture. Again, not sure.
Attachments cannot change their texture as far as I know.

Most of this is speculation, be sure to try this for yourself

http://chaosrealm.info/topic/7709384/1/
^ This is a link to a map with a system that should make things much easier for you. I don't have my editor at the moment, so I am unable to test this for you.

Please keep me posted about your findings with team color, would be great to know if it is possible or not.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One could have the same model with many animations and then use a morph. One could also have many different models and morph between different units. The tree pickup maddeem mentions probably is the best solution in the long term but it may need some very special models to work well and even then could still have minor issues.

In StarCraft II this is done super easily in the data editor. Not all models support it but most models let you change their textures to practically any other texture as long as you list all possible textures before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.