• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Solved] Removing the shadow from an invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have been googling for a frustrating amount of time, hopefully there's an actual answer to this. I'm using a unit as a dummy target to cast a spell on and have it sit there, but the only problem is I cannot get rid of the units shadow. Steps tried

locust - if added with a custom script, it doesn't remove the shadow, if placed on the unit in the editor, he cannot be targeted as the reciever of the spell
hide unit - cannot see the spell visual effects (forgot to check if they were active or not)
setting unit shadow to none in the editor - doesn't seem to do anything.
removing unit model (set to none.mdl) - same issue as locust, cannot be targeted for the spell
setting scale to .1 - hides the shadow for the most part, but the spell scales with him and can't be seen.

Solved: setting the units model to the same as the spell effect did the trick

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm assuming you're on HD graphics since the SD can be easily toggled on and off:
example.png

I imagine on HD this doesn't work, although I think it should work (maybe the patch broke it).

You shouldn't really need to ever give a Dummy unit a model though, as that's what Special Effects are for:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Dummy Spell
    • Actions
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Triggering unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Avatar\AvatarCaster.mdl
      • Special Effect - Set Scale of (Last created special effect) to 5.00
      • Special Effect - Set Time Scale of (Last created special effect) to 0.50
Using Special Effects gives far more control as well.

Also, a single Dummy unit-type can be used for ALL of your custom spells, if you set it up properly:
Step 1: Copy and paste the Locust unit.
Step 2: Set it's Model/Shadow/Attacks Enabled/Movement Type to None.
Step 3: Set it's Speed Base to 0.

This unit can cast any number of non-channeling spells instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.