• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Removing Leaks cause lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Ok i observed this..

in my map v2.2 i can have up to 15 - 20 fps (lots of leaks has not been fixed)

and i discovered lots of leaks so i fix them all.. 70% of leaks has been cleaned up to 3000 point leaks has been removed)

so i played and expecting a higher fps.. but the lag is now worse! 10 -12

so removing leaks cause lag?

if yes when it happened?

Level 9
we here can't guess what's wrong in your map unless you provided the map or at least the triggers.
since you already state it happen after you cleaned some leaks, post that specific trigger.

in general, removing leaks will always result in less lag in the long run.

massive lag in game mostly caused by mass units, handles or effects happen on screen at the same time.

check when this lag happen, was it after specific user's action? or after map init?

Level 26
The execution of destroying/releasing data ofc takes a bit of performance too. But piling up leaks would gradually reduce memory. You probably have some very inefficient triggers if you allocate so many objects/sec that deallocation makes a difference. Actually, dynamic locations are not needed at all but then again, I assume you are using the awful GUI.

Using imported resources is no different from standard stuff (well, maybe it gets initialized at another time). If your sfx causes performance drops whereas a standard model does not have the problem, then it is because of the model.

Level 20
Actually lags occurs when you have inefficient triggers or maybe in the outnumbered skills in the OE ( Object Editor ) and I know why your map lags :D. If you're doubting it is from leaks then download a Memory Leak Checker made by nhocklanhox06 then test it to your map, and there you'll see the results.

Level 22
No, you need to remove it manually. The leak checker you're using won't remove the leaks, it just tells you how many leaks there are in your map.

Level 26
Any instruction you tell the computer to execute takes its toll. The frame drops occur if the burden is too large. Simply converting your triggers to jass makes no difference as that's the same what the editor does when you save. Wc3 only knows jass as map script language. But jass offers you better possibilities to write your code than GUI does. You could not delete any location if you used pure GUI.

I'm guessing it is just your computer. Keep in mind that GPU has a big role in fps, not just CPU. If you have a lot of objects on screen, you'll have fewer frames than if you were looking at just a few (since the GPU is trying to render them all). That's why benchmarks are always ran in empty maps--you are trying to eliminate the GPU aspect that could confound the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.