• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Removing "footprints"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
do you know that "footprints" that NE buildings leave behind them?Or ilidain's footprints?how to remove them?i would prefer to do it without modeling.
TNX in advance!:thumbs_up:

EDIT:
reducing their size could be helpful also!

c'mon!HEEELP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
don't double post, use edit. The model did not inculde a footprint, so seach it in the world editer , or use a unit without footprint and change the model. As for the size, use Scaling Value.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The only way to remove them is by deleting them in the actual model file its self and then importing it. This is due to them being created as part of the model and not by the engine itself.

As for size, you can adjust it by vertix scale via triggers or via the scale field under art in the object editor under the unit.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Another way has just occured to me.

Replace the texture (skin) of the footprints with a pure alpha one via importing it. The footprints will still be made but as they are totally invisable you will not see them and it will be as if they are not there in the first place.

It will also be more space efficent than importing a whole new modified model as any size of the skin that works is usable(can be smaller than the orignal).

Also it is easy to do as the same skin just needs to be imported twice with different pathings (one for each type of footprint).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Basically, a model texture (skin) is made up of 4 colours.

Red
Green
Blue
Alpha

The top 3 controle the acual colour of the texture (RGB)
The bottom (alpha) controles the transparincy of the texture (how much of the colour shown comes from the bottom.

Thus what you are after is replacing the footprint texture with a texture of any colour but with maximum alpha so it is completly transparent. Thus the footprints will still be made ingame but will be invisable as the image they are of is invisable.

How wc3 textures work is instead of having a separate alpha colour as far as I can tell, they asign a certain colour with 100% transparency and all others with 0 (like most games do). For more information ask a skinner or modeler (someone who knows more about it than me).

Status
Not open for further replies.