• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reign of Chaos Beta 3D Background

Style: Linear
Z Start: 20000
Z End: 50000
Density: 0.5
Color (Red, Green, Blue): 16, 4, 24
Ambient sound: Orc

+ Animation improvements
+ Event sounds
+ Various other improvements
- Edited: original by Blizzard

Note (2019): Sounds and lighting could use some improvement, I will hopefully get around to it later.
Previews
Contents

Reign of Chaos Beta 3D Background (Model)

Reviews
14:57, 1st Apr 2016 HappyCockroach: It's great to have one model of this type at our database. And it looks nice. I have a few recommendations, though: - The sound work in a campaign screen model is much more important than in a regular one...

M

14:57, 1st Apr 2016
HappyCockroach:
It's great to have one model of this type at our database. And it looks nice. I have a few recommendations, though:
- The sound work in a campaign screen model is much more important than in a regular one. That's because there's no sounds except the model's ones and the ambient sound set in the config. Consider adding bird sounds, bats, crickets, et cetera. Also, those cannons could really have a sound when shooting. The chain sound when the gate comes down is cool, but add more details even to that, maybe when it hits the ground a sound would come nicely. Also, reduce the volume of that sound if you can, or put it farther from the camera, because it can be confused with the UI sound effect if it's a high volume.
- The omnilights are gleaming every fraction of second. That doesn't look very natural, try to give it a smooth and slow transition.
It does look good and is approvable at the moment, but it would be good if you did the changes. And sorry for giving such a late feedback, I hope you still have the editables.

Level 34
Great job, but to futher improve the menu model, i think you should consider repositioning camera (to hide the flaws that are still left in the model) and doing something with that low-resolution glass-window texture.

And it's real nice to see someone produce this kind of content. Keep this up, i am pretty sure that fixes made are a great addition.

Thanks! I'm not sure about repositioning the camera. I'd rather try to fix the flaws, if you could be more specific?

About the glass window, it's supposed to look like this:
151565d1452508898-3d-background-making-texture-glow-yesglow.jpg

But I can't figure out how to fix it. I posted a thread asking for help.

Hmm I just noticed that the moon isn't showing up. I'll look into that asap.

Edit: @Misha. Approve it? Haha, I dunno, use your best judgement! :p If it's rejected I'll put it in a resource pack in my resource thread.

Level 34
Is mesh physicaly there now? If yes - check the material. If no - well, you can just create the same glow on your own or even make it with a particle effect. The good idea might be to move this tower futher away from the camera as well.

I think wrap on the right tower is kinda messy. Also light sources are placed alittle a bit illogicaly, considering that there are much more of them, then there are torches.

Last edited:

Roland

R

Roland

I'm glad to see people making throwbacks of the Warcraft 3 Betas. Anyway, As JesusHipster said that it needs improvements on the cameras and other more, Outstanding job, Loktar.

Thanks man =) Currently playing around with the lighting a bit. Added a light source for the fire in the background and the pulsating glows in the towers and entrances, and also gave each torch at the gate a separate light source. It's a bit bright now because of that, so will have to play around with intensity a bit. It also seems to be flickering between yellow and almost white, I think because of the placement of the light in the middle of the Yellow_Glow texture. So will have to fix that too.

Then I will try to improve some of the texture wrapping, especially the tower on the right as mentioned, probably some of the wooden beams too.
Might change the camera angle, but I kinda like the composition of the scene as it is. At most I would zoom out a bit. If I do that, I could add a ground texture and maybe like a tree or a barrel or some other prop. I was thinking of adding a knight riding in through the gate, but that would probably make it a bit too busy. Also I don't want to put too much work into this. If I can just increase the quality of what's there up to a certain standard I'll be more than happy :D

Thanks for the feedback! And for the patience, moderators :D

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

I'll be honest, i dunno what to do with this :xxd:

approve it? :p

if you mean where you can use it, you can replace your frozen throne or RoC main menu background with this, or to replace your campaign screen with this.

I really like the way this looks! Of course, that's largely due to how awesome it was to begin with, but you've done good work on it and you did the model justice.

Still, I can't fairly rate this, because its quality deserves a 5/5, but I can't give that since most of that is due to the original model. As far as your work is concerned, you made no mistakes, but the amount of work will warrant no more than a 4/5.

Level 1
hey, good job at it.

but it seems bugged, if u r logged in @battle.net.

i uploaded a screenshot, so u can see what i'm talking about.

Simply check out the upcoming Clouds.

At original WC3 Beta Clouds worked perfectly.

would be awesome, if u could fix them.

Attachments

• clouds.jpg
    clouds.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 119
Thanks guys!

HappyCockroach said:
Consider adding bird sounds, bats, crickets, et cetera. Also, those cannons could really have a sound when shooting. The chain sound when the gate comes down is cool, but add more details even to that, maybe when it hits the ground a sound would come nicely. Also, reduce the volume of that sound if you can, or put it farther from the camera, because it can be confused with the UI sound effect if it's a high volume.
- The omnilights are gleaming every fraction of second. That doesn't look very natural, try to give it a smooth and slow transition.
That's weird, the cannon had a sound, but it stopped working. I'll see if I can add some sound to those birds flying around, and I'll tweak the gate sounds.
The ambient sound kind of takes care of the rest IMO (includes crickets).

Good point about the lighting, I'll tweak that a bit.

Where to find things like this in magos
Not sure what you mean?

but it seems bugged, if u r logged in @battle.net..
That's weird, I'll have a look at it.

Edit: I don't get it. No matter what I do, the cannon sound isn't playing. I'm starting to think the patch broke something, because it was definitely working before.

Last edited:
That's weird, the cannon had a sound, but it stopped working. I'll see if I can add some sound to those birds flying around, and I'll tweak the gate sounds.
The ambient sound kind of takes care of the rest IMO (includes crickets)
I agree, actually. The cannons are the essential thing. Maybe check if the cannon animations are assigned to a global sequence in which the sound should be assigned too. And if the sound is the problem, you may give it a different placeholder sound until you find a way to implement the old one you were using.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The ambient sound kind of takes care of the rest IMO (includes crickets).

Edit: I don't get it. No matter what I do, the cannon sound isn't playing. I'm starting to think the patch broke something, because it was definitely working before.

Identified imho
Please see here

Really weird, the cannon sound works in my mod, but not in vanilla TFT. (the sound not working in the mod version of the 3D screen was due to an unrelated issue).

Even though I extracted the SLKs from the 1.27 version of WC3, I'm pretty sure that it's a bug introduced with the patch. I don't think there's a different sound I can use.