• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Regarding language, would you rather...

Longer and easier or shorter and harder?

• Longer and easier

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Shorter and harder

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Would you rather speak a language with longer words that are easier to
pronounce or shorter words that are harder to pronounce?

Edit:
This isn't about languages. Okay, just think of it like this, would you rather get a task done quicker with more difficulty or longer with less difficulty?

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Do you have any examples? 'cause I'm not sure I understand completely what it is you're looking to discuss. I mean, what is a short word? How do you decide whether it is hard to pronounce or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
A short and hard 'word' (this is not an actual word) to pronounce would be drtiktitk. A long
and easy to pronounce 'word' (this is not an actual word) would be woodoodoodoodood.

The shorter word I typed was like a tongue twister, but short.
The longer word I typed was simple and easy to pronounce, but long.

This poll is to discover which you would rather more, but what I am actually trying to do is
find if a language had a larger alphabet, with each character having a different appearance
the words would be shorter (because for example if you had as many characters as words
each word would be 1 character and vice versa) and each character having a different
pronunciation the words would be more difficult to pronounce. Obviously if you had a shorter
alphabet the words would be longer and would be easier to pronounce because there would
be less individual characters in the word to pronounce.

In my opinion of course. Do you agree?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I can't really say I agree on that. For instance, your mother tongue is easy to pronounce while a language that is notably different from your mother tongue is hard to pronounce, regardless of the length of words. That's at least how I experience it. Norwegian, for me, is easily pronounced - English, being similar, seems equally easy to pronounce. On the other hand, when I tried to learn French, I had to give up due to difficulties pronouncing the words (and, moreover, connecting pronunciation to spelling). Though the point here is that the feeling goes the other way as well, French people generally have trouble pronouncing Norwegian words.

With that in mind, I don't think reducing the amount of characters in an alphabet will make the words easier to pronounce - but it will make them generally longer.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

This isn't about languages. Okay, just think of it like this, would you rather get a task done quicker with more difficulty or longer with less difficulty?

Mechanical Man, no, I don't mean that.

It might not be about specific languages, but it sure as hell relates to language. Your language is your words (of course there are other languages, like body language, but the idea is to communicate thoughts, and in this thread, and for this purpose, I only need this definition); how they are written and pronounced. This thread has everything to do with language.

So, back to what I did an elaborate attempt at explaining in my last post; what is easier depends on what you are used to do. If you're used to long words, short words that require quick changes in sound will be difficult to pronounce (at first), and vice versa.

Thus, you end up asking whether people prefer short or long words (and large or small alphabets, accordingly). My preference would, in that case, be short words built up by a large alphabet. Though not so short that it loses all elegance.

As for your tasks-question; I prefer a short and difficult task rather than a long and easy one. Why? A long, easy task will become boring before you're done. Besides, I generally don't like spending a lot of time on tasks.

Level 10
It might not be about specific languages, but it sure as hell relates to language. Your language is your words (of course there are other languages, like body language, but the idea is to communicate thoughts, and in this thread, and for this purpose, I only need this definition); how they are written and pronounced. This thread has everything to do with language.

So, back to what I did an elaborate attempt at explaining in my last post; what is easier depends on what you are used to do. If you're used to long words, short words that require quick changes in sound will be difficult to pronounce (at first), and vice versa.

Thus, you end up asking whether people prefer short or long words (and large or small alphabets, accordingly). My preference would, in that case, be short words built up by a large alphabet. Though not so short that it loses all elegance.

As for your tasks-question; I prefer a short and difficult task rather than a long and easy one. Why? A long, easy task will become boring before you're done. Besides, I generally don't like spending a lot of time on tasks.

-.-
I like your second paragraph, thanks, but just think of it like you're learning a new language, and the language you're speaking now is just in between the two choices.

Level 26
If there is no question that I CAN and WILL complete the task, I would rather face all its difficulty at once and then move on. But life just isn't like that. Difficult things can never be finished all at once, and you always need to work up the willpower to persist in completing it.

That's what I think, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.