• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Reforged: GPU gets super hot while in editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi guys,

Is someone else having the issue that the GPU gets up to 85 degrees while simply viewing the map in WC3 Reforged modus?

As soon as I take the object or trigger editor to the foreground the temperature drops again. But when I look at the map editor, and nothing is in between "the map editor" and "my eyes", the temperature starts rising like crazy.

I use a RTX 2070... maybe it's my card that's broken but not sure.

Thanks.

Temperatur.png

Last edited:
Level 4
Reforged high poly count, editor probably isnt refined as it should be for "HD", could lead to GPU working overtime.
It doesn't get hot when looking at SD map gfx? Whats your screen/resolution hz?
Are you running any "game booster" type software, that would attempt to run everything for max performance? You could try setting windows power profile to 'low' to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I will say that I had the same issue where my GPU fans were ramping up super loudly but I changed my fan curve and now its fine.
That might be why your GPU is running quite warm? You will want the fans to hit 80%+ when above 70 degrees C.

In any case there is no difference between the editor and actual game as far as graphic load goes. Even particles and ribbons are simulated by the editor.

If playing Warcraft III with Reforged graphics does not let the GPU get as hot then the issue is likely due to no frame rate limiter being used for the World Editor. Combined with the modern shader code what might seem trivial, a blank map, could be making the GPU work quite hard. StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm main menus were like this in the past and could make GPUs run much hotter than in actual gameplay before a frame rate limiter were added to them.

If you are worried about the temperature affecting your GPU then you can lower the temperature limit. This will cause the driver to automatically lower clock speed and power usage to stay within the limit. A limit of 70 degrees is pretty much the lowest reasonable value since anything below that may seriously reduce GPU performance while not improving life expectancy much. In any case it is still recommended to improve cooling, such as case airflow, before taking such measures as the GPUs should not hard thermal throttle when operating at power limit anyway.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
That might be why your GPU is running quite warm? You will want the fans to hit 80%+ when above 70 degrees C.
There is a decent chance. I find it quite surprising though because the fan curve was the default.
For me it was just mostly trial and error as overclocking/fan curve edits is not an interest of mine.

At any rate, my problem would be the opposite to him given that my fan curve was too aggressive which is why it was sounding like an airplane when I launched the editor. My temperature was fine.

Level 12
Thanks a lot guys, I downloaded MSI Afterburner and set the speed to the suggested speed/temp. Seems to work better now, although the card is quite loud now.

@Jahjahbinks : SH map is fine. I'm using 2560x1440 - and from what I know I'm not running a "booster software". Is there one in specific?

@Chaosy : How do you get Reforged Editor "Medium" settings? I can only choose between HD and SD.

@Dr Super Good : Mm that would explain it. I did what you suggested regarding +80% speed at 70 degrees. The card is a lot louder now, but temperature seems to stay in check. I also reduced my refresh rate from 144 fps to 120 fps. For airflow I already cleaned out the case of dust, but there was not that much to beginn with (PC is a bit more than a year old).

Status
Not open for further replies.