• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

World Editor - GPU Thermal Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Alright first of all I wasn't sure if this was the correct forum so if it's not just move it please.

So my problem guys is that World Editor is literally raping my GPU, my monitor is 144hz but WE is clearly rendering wayy above that:
(top right corner for fps)
NVIDIA_Share_gVIeo8X3Ps.jpgNVIDIA_Share_X6aKxBGqAR.jpg

and my GPU is reaching the same max temps as when gaming:(70+)
Taskmgr_BsirJBZ8HR.jpgTaskmgr_gFdF5XeTRF.jpg

so my question is, Can I somehow limit WE to render only 60 fps? I really don't see a point in going any higher.

Things I have tried so far:
1. Changing monitor to 60hz, nothing happens.
2. Changing Reforged in-game settings to max 60 fps, nothing happens

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Given the 1050 ti has a maximum sustained operating temperature of 97 degrees Celsius the temperature is completely fine for high workloads. A waste of power, I agree, but should not really affect GPU life.

In any case what you want to do is go to NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings tab and then Add the Warcraft III World Editor application to it. Then under the settings set Max Frame Rate to whatever you want the maximum to be, such as 60. Click Apply and then restart Warcraft III World Editor. After doing this the frame rate should be limited to the value you set and if low enough the GPU will be given appropriate idle time and so use appropriately less power and so run cooler.

If any future Warcraft III maintainers come across this post I recommend adding a setting to set maximum frame rate for World Editor which by default has a value of 60 FPS, or the currently set display refresh rate if possible to detect. As GPUs become more power hungry such settings become increasingly important to avoid wasting power unnecessarily on rendering frames the user cannot see.

Level 20
@Dr Super Good yeah man but my CPU was maxxing around 50C (aftermarket cooler) so you can see the 20C difference is big for me xD

also your method worked thanks a lot! after a quick test of max framerate 60, the GPU was only at 40% utilisation and 50-55C that's amazing!
(ambient is 30C btw)

Didn't knew you could do that within NVIDIA Control Panel so that's also going to be a huge help in case I need to do it again the future! :thumbs_up:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Didn't knew you could do that within NVIDIA Control Panel so that's also going to be a huge help in case I need to do it again the future! :thumbs_up:
The feature seems new as I also do not recall being able to do that in the past. But maybe I am just old...

Due to variable refresh rate gaming and increasing GPU power it has kind of become mandatory. If using nsync or freesync compatible displays (which all decent modern displays should be) you want to limit the frame rate of games to a few FPS below the maximum refresh rate of the display for optimum latency and power performance. As this might not be possible in older games this is likely why they added driver level support for maximum refresh rate caps.

Level 20
@Dr Super Good nahh bro I don't think you are old because that means I am also old(27) LOL xD

yeah my panel model is AOC 24G2U - 23.8'' IPS 1080p 144hz 1ms and yes it is freesync compatible but my puny GTX 1050 Ti BARELY outputs more than 144fps in any game so I don't really need to do limit the max framerate lol, WE was a special occasion.

at least it's holding well for now in gaming(mainly because of FSR lol), might do a budget upgrade in another 2-3 years xD

Status
Not open for further replies.