• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Red Sands, 2-Player Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This is the Red Sands project. Set in a fictional land of deserts and oasis', Red Sands is a tale of guilt, betrayal and pain, of ancient secrets hidden underneath the rolling sands above.

The main feature of Red Sands is it's two player campaign, and it's 2 unique faction tech trees. Join the tale of this land. Join the legends.

I am currently requesting at a lore workshop for a detailed version of the story to be created. I'd do it myself, but I am currently unable with the workload of creating original, unique-to-the-project icons for the units, buildings and upgrades.

What I need is your ideas. Specifically, what makes a 2-Player Campaign, or any Campaign, great? Is there anything you want to see? Does this sound like a good campaign?

Additionally, I would like more ideas on the Campaign layout. I'm already planning great, memorable terrain, a captivating storyline and great cinematics, but I need your help on other features I might add.

I will post the two work-in-progress tech trees soon, and you may be able to help me with icons, abilities, units and buildings.

Thank you,
EclecticAcid.

Last edited:
Level 23
What I need is your ideas. Specifically, what makes a 2-Player Campaign, or any Campaign, great? Is there anything you want to see? Everybody who votes on the poll will be given reputation by me. Does this sound like a good campaign?

Things that make a campaign great (Imo ofc)
1. The lore, as Chaosy has mentioned
2. An exceptional or at least a terrain worth looking at. Since campaigns are not so fast paced like AoS or Arena Maps, it's important to make the terrain more presentable since players have more time to observe the game environment.
3. A campaign with a skill tree is something that's rare and would definitely attract attention especially if the triggers for it are well made.
4. A good AI
5. Since you're making it 2P, a cooperative gameplay would be great.

Level 3
Thank you for the feedback!

1. The lore is completed by Zzone's workshop (You guys should check it out) and it's great, I'll be posting it here soon.

2. Terrain will be top notch, with many realistic features and scenery.

3. A skill tree? By that what do you mean?

4. A good AI is definitely required in a good campaign, and fear not it will be included.

5. My view of co op was two separate players, each playing a different hero related to that part of the story. It will rely heavily on the two player mode. For example, in one mission one player has to defend an encampment (defending civilians) while the other player has to find reinforcements in the mountains (this map is the largest map in the campaign, a.k.a the second-last mission). If the second player doesn't get the reinforcements to the encampment fast enough, the first player will eventually fall under the increasingly difficulty waves of enemies and the mission will be failed.

@Chaosy: This map will be featured in a desert, mainly, though there will also be a large oasis, a drowned temple in such oasis, a canyon and an above-ground pyramid-like temple in the middle of the main desert body.

Level 7
If you do any sort of BETA you should do a sort of prologue to the story, introducing technology trees and the lore, much like the original Warcraft III demo. Make sure the demo includes everything the game has to offer so that it is covering all of the features, while at the same time being unique to the campaign.

Level 3
@PlankingWolf: Thanks.

@Lolzaxis: Good idea, I was thinking of either that or creating a single 'tutorial' mission.

@Awsan: Hmm... perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.