• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Recreating Reaver's attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Remember the Reaver from StarCraft 1? That trilobite Protoss robot that you could order to construct missiles called Scarabs, afterwards thrown at enemies to explode for single target & AoE damage? I've been trying to recreate it without a lot of success.
When I finish constructing a Scarab, it says «WARNING -- Trying to create a projectile directly and not in the context of an attack», but I have no idea how to fix it.

Screenshot2011-11-26_17_47_15.jpg

SC2_SC2Mapster_ReaverScarabs_Ability.png

SC2_SC2Mapster_ReaverScarabs_Weapon.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I suppose that means I shouldn't be filling in the ability's last field from that large table. The problem is definitely in the ability itself, as it yells at me for finishing constructing a scarab. I'll delete the value of the last field. Here I go for my next blunder and paradigma.

Also, one of the problems that Blizzard did not predict but eventually ended up being exploited in pro play was the ability to just quickly drop a Reaver in a worker line and immediately load it back up. To correct this, Blizzard added a 1.5 (not sure if it's the correct value) delay in firing the scarab. I suppose this is achievable with a simple Weapons field?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I tried nulling the unit value for the ability, but the button then refuses to appear (because there's no "ability command" in the command card, I believe), so I'm back to square one.
I've attached the mod if you want to take a look.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What you are trying to do is add too much complexity to what is a very simple problem...
1. Make a dummy ability that restores charges at the rate of 1 for some minerals with some cooldown.
2. Make a weapon which consumes charges and launches a missle which does the area explosion.
3. Make both the weapon and the dummy ability share the same charges.

I will try and complete a demonstration map of this in the near future.

Level 4
No, because broodlords don't use charges.
Ever notice it never runs out?

They do use charges but the charges refresh every 2.5 seconds

I just changed the attack speed of a brood lord down to .3 however its attack speed in game did not change significantly because it had to wait for its broodling charge to refresh

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The Brood Lord's magazine is external, it does not even display charges. On terms of similarity, it kind of shares similarity to every arm magazine in the game.
I made the ability and weapon almost exact copies of the Carrier's arm magazine and weapon (effect is create persistent), with only the unit, purchasing time and effects fields adjusted for my needs.
Try after try is just shattered. The error you see in the screenshot is, I think, associated with actors (though I could be wrong and the text itself is the actor), that's why I skipped ahead of trying to fix the ability -- and also because, like I said, there's nothing left to be fixed. At this point, I'll either try to remake everything or just give up entirely, as this is just taking a ridiculous amount of time and is ridiculously fruitless.

P.S. -- My weapon is saying "Error" when I attempt to use it. Yes, the unit does have attack.

The Brood Lord's magazine is external, it does not even display charges. On terms of similarity, it kind of shares similarity to every arm magazine in the game.
I made the ability and weapon almost exact copies of the Carrier's arm magazine and weapon (effect is create persistent), with only the unit, purchasing time and effects fields adjusted for my needs.
Try after try is just shattered. The error you see in the screenshot is, I think, associated with actors (though I could be wrong and the text itself is the actor), that's why I skipped ahead of trying to fix the ability -- and also because, like I said, there's nothing left to be fixed. At this point, I'll either try to remake everything or just give up entirely, as this is just taking a ridiculous amount of time and is ridiculously fruitless.

P.S. -- My weapon is saying "Error" when I attempt to use it. Yes, the unit does have attack.

Why not just make an attack that takes forever to fire? =P

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Nop, you can't, it goes to the target automatically.
You can control what the Reaver shots at, and then the ammo unit (the scarab) will go towards the target unit, but as you might have noticed, the scarab itself can get stuck on other units. In addition to that, if the target can't be found, because either it was killed by another unit or loaded into a transport, then the Scarab goes to the last known location of the target and explodes there.

Level 14
Nop, you can't, it goes to the target automatically.
You can control what the Reaver shots at, and then the ammo unit (the scarab) will go towards the target unit, but as you might have noticed, the scarab itself can get stuck on other units. In addition to that, if the target can't be found, because either it was killed by another unit or loaded into a transport, then the Scarab goes to the last known location of the target and explodes there.

Yeah but all that AI isn't in Sc2 because the Reaver doesn't exist.

The only closest thing you could do (I think) is to copy the Carrier ability, and instead of Interceptors you have Banelings/Scourge. But I don't think you can make that ability exactly unless you change some AI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.