• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reconstructing Warcraft 3 era lore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello :) I wanted to embark on a task of reconustructing Warcraft 3 era lore of the setting, that is: how exactly setting looked like before World of Warcraft. What sources should I use, and I mean canon ones (so no RPG stuff).

Obviously there are games: three Warcraft games and their addons. There is stuff from manuals and some lore snippets from skirmish maps descriptions in Warcraft 3 and FT. What else? Which books count?

Level 2
Okay, so I managed to reconstruct primary sources:
- Warcraft I
- Warcraft II and its addon
- Warcraft III and its addon
- four Warcraft novels - Of Blood and Honor, Day of the Dragon, Lord of the Clans and The Last Guardian
- Warcraft game manuals

Something more is there? As I've said, I want to cut at the end of FT, that is 2003.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Something more is there? As I've said, I want to cut at the end of FT, that is 2003.
Well, even though these books came later than 2003, they are considered canon and their story happens before any Warcraft game:
Warcraft: War of the Ancients Trilogy - Wikipedia
Warcraft: The Sunwell Trilogy - Wikipedia
Dawn of the Aspects

World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde - Wikipedia
World of Warcraft: Beyond the Dark Portal - Wikipedia
World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King - Wikipedia

Tides of Darkness

I'm not one to take anything out of the game, but if you so desire, then consider all facts.

Also, short stories on the official World of Warcraft site. Not sure how many of them, if any, are set before TFT.

Level 2
Okay, I should have stated that clearly - what I'm interested in is not so much stuff that's set before events of the World of Warcraft, but stuff that was created before WoW, before W3 era was done to be exact, so before 2003 when FT came out. I'm interested in the original pre-WoW shape of lore. Things you posted would be useful, but they are already WoW-era.

Status
Not open for further replies.