• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Real hack n' slay system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Is there a way to get rid of the boring auto attack and make a real hack n' slay system on the keyboard for melee units?

Make 2-3 different attack skills, every skill on a different hotkey and make every attack use a different attack animation?
Something like this possible with GUI?

Level 25
Well, you can change uncheck everything in "Targets Allowed" field for your unit, to leave its damage to be shown, but be unable to attack by right clicking/auto attacking.

Then make spells based off "Channel" spell, play with its fields a bit so it requires target, etc. and then you have to trigger it.
You will need a bit of custom scripts - like setting which animation should the unit play by index, as afaik, it is not possible to play for example specific attack animation -> you can play "attack" animation, but it will pick randomly one of all those animations, which have "attack" in it.... hence you will need custom script for this part.

The rest is mostly basic GUI I think

Level 4
Well, you can change uncheck everything in "Targets Allowed" field for your unit, to leave its damage to be shown, but be unable to attack by right clicking/auto attacking.

Then make spells based off "Channel" spell, play with its fields a bit so it requires target, etc. and then you have to trigger it.
You will need a bit of custom scripts - like setting which animation should the unit play by index, as afaik, it is not possible to play for example specific attack animation -> you can play "attack" animation, but it will pick randomly one of all those animations, which have "attack" in it.... hence you will need custom script for this part.

The rest is mostly basic GUI I think

This screenshot was from something different but for animations something like this?
hmjod349.png

Where would the dmg output come from then?

I want to make this in 3rd person.
Also this would require lot of keys if u play with mouse + wasd + skills.
If arrow keys you have more space for keys but if u need to target spells with the mouse it taks to make time to switch.

Level 33
Also this would require lot of keys if u play with mouse + wasd + skills.
Controlling units' movement via WASD is not a viable approach.

Because, by using WASD, you are subjected to using ability acts as the part of the movement trigger.

Normally, when we want to move unit, we would hold the key, let's say, "W" key to move forward.

To stop the unit, we would simply release the "W" key.

You can't detect the when keys are released, so this act as a problem.

To move unit, you need Arrow Keys, because Events can detect whether they are held/released.

Maybe you can replace WASD key with different kind of slash/attack ?
W - Vertical Slash
S - Defend/Parry
A - Horizontal Slash
D - Special Move

But definitely it should not be used for movement of units.

Where would the dmg output come from then?
It comes from trigger, check out systems that gives you the damage of a unit.

Level 4
Im using this for wasd atm and it works fine. All my skill hotkeys are beside wasd so it's confortable to play with it.

But yeah I will need some action buttons. 3 at least so maybe I gotta put the skills on 1-9 numbers on top but idk...

If I use arrow keys it would be best to have a system which doesnt require mouse at all because switching between targeting on mouse, moving, action buttons etc is a pain.

Level 33
How would you want your game controls to be ?
Like MMORPG (WoW) controls ?

You can however use F1 - F9 for selecting units, and catch it with Event unit is selected to act as your "Hotkey" to your "Ability" hidden via Channel-based ability.

I'll try to experiment more about this.

Level 4
Not exactly like WoW.
In most MMORPGs you click on your target with the mouse and use skills.

I want something rather action oriented with slash, defend, etc + skills

So, basically an action game, like God of War?

Well, you can remove the main attack and give your hero an ability based on firebolt, so the player would need to press a button and click on the enemy on every attack. Another option would make the player an "ally" of the enemy player. This would make your hero not auto-target the enemies, and make a trigger that could make the hero do a single attack on the enemy unit everytime it's selected or right-clicked. But I think this kind of stuff would only work properly if your character has a gun or a bow, or is a mage, etc.

Level 4
Level 4
I got rid of the auto attack and Im trying to make a simple sword slash trigger now but this doesnt work. It will just turn my walk into that animation. Also no damage.

btarf9rn.png

Level 4
I created a small seperate map to test this.

If I only get 1 slash skill to work the others will be very easy...
Can I hide the icons of custom abillities? So the slashs dont take up so much skill space.

Status
Not open for further replies.