1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Real hack n' slay system?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by DainyG, Feb 15, 2014.

1. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    Is there a way to get rid of the boring auto attack and make a real hack n' slay system on the keyboard for melee units?

Make 2-3 different attack skills, every skill on a different hotkey and make every attack use a different attack animation?
    Something like this possible with GUI?

2. Nichilus

Nichilus

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, you can change uncheck everything in "Targets Allowed" field for your unit, to leave its damage to be shown, but be unable to attack by right clicking/auto attacking.

Then make spells based off "Channel" spell, play with its fields a bit so it requires target, etc. and then you have to trigger it.
    You will need a bit of custom scripts - like setting which animation should the unit play by index, as afaik, it is not possible to play for example specific attack animation -> you can play "attack" animation, but it will pick randomly one of all those animations, which have "attack" in it.... hence you will need custom script for this part.

The rest is mostly basic GUI I think

3. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:

This screenshot was from something different but for animations something like this?
    [​IMG]

Where would the dmg output come from then?

I want to make this in 3rd person.
    Also this would require lot of keys if u play with mouse + wasd + skills.
    If arrow keys you have more space for keys but if u need to target spells with the mouse it taks to make time to switch.

4. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  5. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Controlling units' movement via WASD is not a viable approach.

Because, by using WASD, you are subjected to using ability acts as the part of the movement trigger.

Normally, when we want to move unit, we would hold the key, let's say, "W" key to move forward.

To stop the unit, we would simply release the "W" key.

You can't detect the when keys are released, so this act as a problem.

To move unit, you need Arrow Keys, because Events can detect whether they are held/released.

Maybe you can replace WASD key with different kind of slash/attack ?
    W - Vertical Slash
    S - Defend/Parry
    A - Horizontal Slash
    D - Special Move

But definitely it should not be used for movement of units.

It comes from trigger, check out systems that gives you the damage of a unit.

6. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im using this for wasd atm and it works fine. All my skill hotkeys are beside wasd so it's confortable to play with it.

But yeah I will need some action buttons. 3 at least so maybe I gotta put the skills on 1-9 numbers on top but idk...

If I use arrow keys it would be best to have a system which doesnt require mouse at all because switching between targeting on mouse, moving, action buttons etc is a pain.

7. defskull

defskull

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    How would you want your game controls to be ?
    Like MMORPG (WoW) controls ?

You can however use F1 - F9 for selecting units, and catch it with Event unit is selected to act as your "Hotkey" to your "Ability" hidden via Channel-based ability.

I'll try to experiment more about this.

8. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not exactly like WoW.
    In most MMORPGs you click on your target with the mouse and use skills.

I want something rather action oriented with slash, defend, etc + skills

9. Ham Ham

Ham Ham

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, basically an action game, like God of War?

Well, you can remove the main attack and give your hero an ability based on firebolt, so the player would need to press a button and click on the enemy on every attack. Another option would make the player an "ally" of the enemy player. This would make your hero not auto-target the enemies, and make a trigger that could make the hero do a single attack on the enemy unit everytime it's selected or right-clicked. But I think this kind of stuff would only work properly if your character has a gun or a bow, or is a mage, etc.

10. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
  11. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    like dragon nest?

12. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    A bit more fast paced gameplay wise. Like Vindictus/Mabigoni heroes/Dynasty Warriors but better and open world xD

13. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    I got rid of the auto attack and Im trying to make a simple sword slash trigger now but this doesnt work. It will just turn my walk into that animation. Also no damage.

[​IMG]

14. DainyG

DainyG

Resources:
    Resources:
    I created a small seperate map to test this.

If I only get 1 slash skill to work the others will be very easy...
    Can I hide the icons of custom abillities? So the slashs dont take up so much skill space.

15. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I have been using the f1-f9 buttons and detecting selection of the dummy heroes in those slots for skill casting, but the problem with that is since you "select" a unit, you need to unselect it too, and that comes with a visible delay... for my old project that is...