• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make Weapon (Item) changing attack type (melee to ranged)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Making an RPG-style map with different weapon types. I'm wanting the weapons to alter the hero's attack type. Like equipping a sword item will give it a melee attack, and giving it a bow will give it a ranged attack. How would I do this?

Also is it possible to use different attack animations for each weapon/attack type (if the model has different attack animations)?

Level 11
If you want to change the attack range of a unit, you can use the native BlzSetUnitWeaponRealField(UNIT_WEAPON_RF_ATTACK_RANGE). This allows you to set the weapon range to any value. In general, most characteristics of a unit's attack can be modified with the set unit weapon field natives.

Some issues I've found with the set real field native on attack range though:
  • It actually doesn't set the range, instead it adds to the range. You'll need to get the current range of the unit (using BlzGetUnitWeaponRealField) and find the difference between the current range and the desired range, passing it to the set call.
  • You also need to set the unit's acquire range to be >= the new attack range.

Level 21
If you want to change the attack range of a unit, you can use the native BlzSetUnitWeaponRealField(UNIT_WEAPON_RF_ATTACK_RANGE). This allows you to set the weapon range to any value. In general, most characteristics of a unit's attack can be modified with the set unit weapon field natives.

Some issues I've found with the set real field native on attack range though:
  • It actually doesn't set the range, instead it adds to the range. You'll need to get the current range of the unit (using BlzGetUnitWeaponRealField) and find the difference between the current range and the desired range, passing it to the set call.
  • You also need to set the unit's acquire range to be >= the new attack range.
is there a way to switch from direct attack to a missile attack with these natives?

Level 8
You can use the BlzSetUnitWeaponIntegerField(UNIT_WEAPON_IF_ATTACK_ATTACK_TYPE) to set the attack type. I think these are available in GUI as well, with similar names for units.
I'm still a bit of a noob with the editor. Is this a variable or something? I'm not sure how to use this info.

Level 8
In GUI, it would look something like this for attack range
  • Unit - Set Unit: (Triggering unit)'s Weapon Real Field: Attack Range ('ua1m')at Index:0 to Value: 600.00
Thank you.
As for animation, for example if I have a bow animation and a rifle animation on the same model, what's the best way for switching between these animations? I only want these animations while specific items are equipped.

Thank you.
As for animation, for example if I have a bow animation and a rifle animation on the same model, what's the best way for switching between these animations? I only want these animations while specific items are equipped.
If they come from the same model and have unique tag for all animation set, you can change the animation tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.