• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Randomizing Regions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
So I run a trigger that spawns shit in a region, then, when someone enters said region, it triggers a bunch of stuff.

What I want to do, is make said region, random, so that, you don't go to the same region every time.

There are two methods I know of, both of which, do not work.

• If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to 25
    • Then - Actions
      • Set MissionRegion[1] = Helicopter Roof Landing <gen>
      • Set MissionRegion[2] = Scientist Spawn <gen>
    • Else - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to 25
        • Then - Actions
          • Set MissionRegion[1] = Scientist Spawn 2 <gen>
          • Set MissionRegion[2] = Trucks Area <gen>
        • Else - Actions
This is the first. It does not work, because variables cannot be detected via, a unit enters region.

The second method, is to do this...

• Region - Center Trucks Area <gen> on (Center of Scientist Spawn 2 <gen>)
Moving regions works, but you can no longer detect entry, when you move a region, entry into that region, will still be detected wherever the region was originally. I.e., you move Region 1 from Point 1 to Point 2, going to Point 2 will not detect entry, but going to Point 1 will, since the region originally resided at Point 1, and due to some Blizzard dick up, you can't move regions 100%.

Does anyone know a workaround, because this is pissing me off.

Thanks in advance.

You could just make an entry event for all of those regions, then use a variable to determine which one is active

• Events
    • A unit enters REGION1
  • Conditions
    • Variable: WhichRegion is equal to 1
  • Actions
  • Events
    • A unit enters REGION2
  • Conditions
    • Variable: WhichRegion is equal to 2
  • Actions
and so on...

So all of them have been set-up, but only 1 region will be "active", depending on the value of the variable...

Or you can also opt to use a single dummy unit, then use the event A unit enters within XXX of unit... then just move that unit elsewhere to change regions... this is assuming, all regions have same size...

Level 15
Can't you just create new regions dynamically? I think you can do it in JASS at least.

JASS:
function makeRegion takes nothing returns region
  local region myRegion = CreateRegion()
  local rect myRect = Rect(GetRandomReal(x,y), GetRandomReal(w,z), GetRandomReal(u,v), GetRandomReal(p,q))
  call RegionAddRect(rect)
  return Region //returns a handle to the randomly created region
endfunction

My understanding (from JASS) is that Regions themselves are just the union of some set of rects (2-d quadrilaterals). So I guess it would make sense that moving a region doesn't really do anything, because the rects that make it up didn't move at all. But I could be completely wrong, as I just started learning this stuff.

@seth - Regions in GUI are the Rects of JASS...

Also, his regions are already predetermined so I don't think suggesting to dynamically create regions is a good idea, there's just no point in doing it... anyway, my suggestion I think would be enough for what he wants...

now if he wants it to be SO random, then yeah we can simply dynamically create a new one, destroy old trigger and make a new one for the new region (destroy the old to make it efficient)

Level 22
You could just make an entry event for all of those regions, then use a variable to determine which one is active

• Events
    • A unit enters REGION1
  • Conditions
    • Variable: WhichRegion is equal to 1
  • Actions
  • Events
    • A unit enters REGION2
  • Conditions
    • Variable: WhichRegion is equal to 2
  • Actions
and so on...

So all of them have been set-up, but only 1 region will be "active", depending on the value of the variable...

Or you can also opt to use a single dummy unit, then use the event A unit enters within XXX of unit... then just move that unit elsewhere to change regions... this is assuming, all regions have same size...

I suppose this is the only decent way.

Level 37
I had a "enter region" system, I modified it a bit.

• InitR
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: local region r
      • -------- ---------------------------------------------- --------
      • Hashtable - Create a hashtable
      • Set RectHash = (Last created hashtable)
      • Set Trig = EnterR <gen>
      • Set RectEnter[0] = Region 003 <gen>
      • Set RectEnter[1] = Region 003 Copy <gen>
      • Set RectEnter[2] = Region 003 Copy 2 <gen>
      • For each (Integer A) from 0 to 2, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Custom script: set r = CreateRegion()
          • Custom script: call RegionAddRect(r, udg_RectEnter[bj_forLoopAIndex])
          • Custom script: call TriggerRegisterEnterRegion(udg_Trig, r, null)
          • Custom script: call SaveRectHandle(udg_RectHash , GetHandleId(r), 0, udg_RectEnter[bj_forLoopAIndex] )
          • Custom script: call SaveRegionHandle(udg_RectHash , 0, bj_forLoopAIndex, r)
      • Custom script: set r = null
      • Trigger - Run RandomReg <gen> (ignoring conditions)
  • RandomReg
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: call SaveRegionHandle(udg_RectHash , 1, 0, LoadRegionHandle(udg_RectHash, 0, GetRandomInt(0, 2)))
  • EnterR
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: if GetTriggeringRegion() == LoadRegionHandle(udg_RectHash, 1, 0) then
      • Game - Display to Player Group - Player 1 (Red) for 5.00 seconds the text: ZOMG!
      • Trigger - Run RandomReg <gen> (ignoring conditions)
      • Custom script: endif

Remember to configure the GetRandomInt(0, 2), change the 2 to the max index used in the region array.

Attachments

• Enter_Region.w3x
    17.8 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.