• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Random variable/music etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi!

I need help with triggers. I want to make a trigger which will play random sounds when player red types -Shuffle. Well... I tried and can't do that.

I found trigger set variable random number between[...] but it won't work while I test maps. It looks like this:
Event: Player red types -Shuffle
Condition: none
Actions: Set variable RANDOM to random number between 1-5

Then Im making another 5 triggers. Everyone is responsible for each sound.
Simple:
Event: variable RANDOM becomes 3
Actions: Play Music Theme 123

And it won't work ;/ I tried testing it during Map Test from editor and by manually launching map directly from warcraft 3. What am I doing wrong?

Level 37
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set sounds[1] = some sound 1
      • Set sounds[2] = some sound 2
      • Set sounds[3] = some sound 3
      • Set sounds[4] = some sound 4
and in the trigger that detects the chat message:
  • Sound - Play sounds[(Random integer number between 1 and 4)]

Level 2
Hmm but I want to play MUSIC, not sound ;/ you know what I mean? I can't pick music to a variable. Only sounds.

Create a string variable, array'd; I called it "Options".
Then, in the Map Initialization, declare the values of each index. Music tracks have the common prefix of "Sound\\Music\\mp3Music\\". For the test, it can look like this:
  • Melee Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set udg_Options[1] = "Sound\\Music\\mp3Music\\BloodElfTheme.mp3"
      • Custom script: set udg_Options[2] = "Sound\\Music\\mp3Music\\Credits.mp3"
      • Custom script: set udg_Options[3] = "Sound\\Music\\mp3Music\\DarkVictory.mp3"
Then, I used an event to help the test on:
  • Test
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) skips a cinematic sequence
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Stop music Immediately
      • Custom script: call PlayMusic (udg_Options[GetRandomInt(1,3)])
Tips:
• You don't need to create Music variables in the Sound Editor for this to work, since you play them with their filename, and not some default variable name.
• You will notice that everytime you test the map, the chances of each option are the same; you can fix this from File -> Preferences -> Test Map tab -> (Untick) Use Fixed Random Seed. If you load the map manually from Warcraft III, then you should not be concerned; this option affects a map loaded from WE.

Level 2
Pharaoh this one is dark magic for me :eek:

And mu music is imported. Does it have a difference?

I avoid that (although I prefer sounds myself, they are louder), especially in cinematics, because if a user minimizes Warcraft III, any sound will stop, while Music keeps on playing.

Edit: Here is a test map then.

Since you have imported your own music, check the path in the Import manager; the default should be "war3mapImported\\MusicFile.mp3". If you didn't rename it, then this is the file's name and it should look like:
  • Custom script: set udg_Options[1] = "war3mapImported\\MusicFile.mp3"

Attachments

• TestMusic.w3x
    16.2 KB · Views: 94
Level 2
Thank you very much for a map ^^ I should understand it right now :)

Im saving the map and its all the time analysing the scripts u made... But I testes what u have sended to me. It works great ^^

Level 2
I made just like you and it is not working ;/

set udg_Options[3] = "war3mapImported\Music.mp3"

THe error occurs :/

Level 2
Well I decided to delete those mp3. I forgot about the weight of the map (it had... 72mb!). I deleted them and now i dont need to randomize any sound.

Sorry for all the trouble but thanks a lot for help. This might be usefull furher. Both of you guys are going to credits at my map. I should release it soon.

Again sorry :/

Status
Not open for further replies.