• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random terrain: Shallow water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I want to have a random terrain for my map for every start of the game,
so i search for tutorials and found this guide in the hive: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/random-terrain-geometry-84378/

but now i wanted to add some shallow water (no cliffs) to the map but how will i do it? the problem is that if i added something that would create shallow water to the trigger made from the tutorial then it would create a random number of pond which i think would really look bad.

Level 9
what do you mean?

im trying to create a shallow water through triggers, the problem is that i don't know how. because if i try it with the tutorial's trigger by experimenting with depth i would get random areas of water but like i said in my first post, i think it would look really bad.

if possible i want to have two-thee areas of water with random shapes

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You need to engineer a procedure to generate what you want.

Start by choosing where you want the water to be (the central points). Here you can enforce requirements such as distances between each other or possible generation hazards (like mountains or special map features).

Then generate the attributes you want the water to have. These could be anything from size, number of branches to branch depths.

Finally generate the water. Start with the main body which would be a large deformation. You can then do a simple branch approach were you take a point on the circumference of this water and generate another piece of water. In the case of deep branches to prevent water generation in itself you would need to do some kind of test to make sure that the angel chosen is pointing away from other water or parent pools. Might not make beautiful lakes but will give you some pools of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.