• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Tower Defense] Random item TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Introduction:
Hello everyone, so I have an idea for a TD. I started working on it already but it turned out a lot bigger then planed. Now I'm stuck at "are people even interested in this..." because I would play this probably once or twice with my friends and that would be it. I don't think that would be realy worth it to finish it.
Since I got nothing to realy show off but the concept I post it here and not in the project section. I hope for some feedback if the idea is interesing and you would play it. The Thread title also tells I have no real name yet... I'm not looking for anyone to do this map for me. However Ideas are free and if you feel like it, take the Idea and built your own version as well, it will make you suffer... trust me :p

So here is my Idea:

It's a mix of way to many games in a WC3 Map.
Lets start with the Towers. This is based on Prime World Defenders (2) where Towers are basicly Cards. They have a resource cost and a charge Limit (known from items like potions in WC3). The twist is Towers are generated partly random. This is done by going ARPG (think Diablo) and adding a prefix and/or suffix to the Towers (also think of each Tower more like an ability, including basic attack).
towerExample.jpg

As you can see, the Tower has a few things changed in this 3 examples (but it's the same, trust me).
The Top is the Manacost of the Tower. Here I took inspiration from Hearthstone. You can have a maximum if 10 Mana and towers are balanced around the cost. You gain 1 mana every 5 second, this way bounty is not required and leaking won't punish you in that way.

Charges: how many times it can be built every level.
Damage: is damage... Hit Chance is the chance to actualy hit but 100 grants you hit everytime unless the target has a dodge chance, then numbers greater then 100 become usefull.
Range: what does 3.75 or 4 mean? Well it's the Range in Towers. I think 4 sounds better then 512.
Pierce: this Map uses a custom Armor system, I threw out attack types, everything is chaos. Every point of armor reduces damage taken by 1%, so pierce 3 count's as if the target has 3 armor less (can't go below 0 armor).
Super: I disliked critical strikes so every Tower has a super it can trigger, currently that is tower base dependent.
+ #% damage vs Status Effekt: I use 3 types of status effekts in this Map.
  • Slow: Slows a target. Is overwritten by the next slow.
  • Poison: Deals damage periodicly, is overwritten by higher damage poison.
  • Stun: Stun prevents the unit from moving or acting for a time, however to prevent stun locks unit are stun immune after beeing stunned for 0.5 + 1.5x<Stun Duration> seconds.
This increases damage dealt if the unit is under the effect.

I stop here for Towers and yes the Construct Tower could have rolled a chance to stun/poison/slow as well... Currently I have 7 different Towers (and what feels like 1000nds of ideas).

Level: The Map contains of several Maps, each is about 3 Minutes long (and randomly generated, basic mob, champion or elite and chance for buffs).
The Map Screen is old and will probably leave as I have a better Idea of what I want by now.
mapScreen.png

Basicly, you would have choosen a Map, and the description would tell you what kind of enemy to expect. Finishing a Map would reveal two of the unknown Maps, one of these unknown maps is the Boss, beating him ends the game. I also got Inspired by Minecraft Dungeons so making lootpools for every Map would be a Idea.

In Levels I'm using a custom Build System as I want up to 10 Towers and giving a Unit tiny farm 10 times just isn't working...
buildMenu.png

Top left is Manacost and bottom right is Charges.

I already have a lot more in the map then what I have written here, but this is not supposed to be a complete Project introduction, I will do that if there is interest for such a Map and I get as far as giving you something... And yes, I could save you Towers so you can make a collection over serveral play throughs....

Thank you for reading and I hope for some feedback :)

Last edited:
Level 14
You can actually give tiny farm 10 times to an unit by using spellbooks and spellbook merging(but then you need to open the spellbook automatically)
Also this interface you made looks incompatible with warcraft 1.27.
What is the oldest warcraft that runs it?

Last edited:
Level 10
Also this interface you made looks incompatible with warcraft 1.27.
What is the oldest warcraft that runs it?

I would not care for any version than the newst avaible one. Older versions are only used by a conservative fraction of the playerbase that will only decrease over time.

Now, to the project:

It certainly looks nice. The UI gives it a polished feel to it. What i would think about is to make the prefix/suffix system more customizeable and less rigid. This would open you more options to manipulate the towers in the future. Maybe you could add items that chabge the suffix/prefix of towers for more control. You can get some inspiration on how path of exile handles their items and currency system.

Some info would also be nice. Like is this a mazing td or do ebemies got sbilities you need to react upon.

Also, with slows getting overriden, it can get s it counterproductive to have multiple. I would think about having the duration refreshed when the slow is worse than the slow applied before that. Except when the slow value is the same, then it does not matter.

Overall, that is an interesting project. This comes on my watch list.

Level 14
Older versions runs better on varied computers, have less bugs, allows custom campaigns and a bunch of other things.
(As soon as newer versions fix all this and becomes extract here compatible (like 101% of why I use WC3 1.27) then there will be no reason to stay in old versions)

So if you can without effort make something compatible with all the versions it is better and if you can not then you just do not.
Making something in a newer version of WC3 only have the disadvantage of being less accessible(for people already aware of it) and of having less monetisation options than doing it on SC2(in exchange for more straightforward modding when making simple things and for the possibility of visibility not being based on pure luck).
So in the end none of the platforms are wrong choices(except for platforms that makes what you want to do too over-convoluted to do for example SC2 when you want to make a simple mod or an old warcraft 3 when you want to do custom ui).

Last edited:
Level 5
Thanks both of you for the feedback.
The Game would be compatibel with the last few patches before reforged if saved with that editor, but custom UI is necessary by now. I'm running the latest reforged Version in hope they will fix it.

Lord_Earthfire said:
The UI gives it a polished feel to it.
Actualy it's still in development, the icons I use are from WC3 and a asset pack I once bought (so legaly used). Menu Backgrounds are just temporary.

Lord_Earthfire said:
What i would think about is to make the prefix/suffix system more customizeable and less rigid. This would open you more options to manipulate the towers in the future. Maybe you could add items that chabge the suffix/prefix of towers for more control. You can get some inspiration on how path of exile handles their items and currency system.
Like you have written I took some inspiration from games like Path of Exile, however it's not that easy as Towers need to stay at certain power levels (yes some towers are better then others, but I don't want completly useless towers). I can see giving the ability to Players to roll pre- and suffixes, mana cost and reroll completly. Currently you gain Tower bast stats (some always some random). The Manacost of the Tower are then distributed to 3 Kategorys base, prefix, suffix. Prefix and Suffix have some basic stats and then are rolled 3 times per mana distributed to it with random bonuses specific to that pre/suffix.

Lord_Earthfire said:
Some info would also be nice. Like is this a mazing td or do ebemies got sbilities you need to react upon.
Currently it's only build on a Path, but I can see the possibility to maze a bit, not as much as in a real mazing TD (you are still limited by tower charges), but I know some oportunities. Probably not in the first Version.
For enemy Types I have 2 categorys: Basic and Champion. Both have elite versions and can gain 1 of 3 buffs (60 Armor, 50% evasion, divine shield 4 layers).
First level still working on it.
example.jpg

Currently working I have the Undead Race:
Zombie - Basic Unit (Elite: +50% HP)
Abomination - High HP and spawns 4 worms on death (Elite: Spawns Zombies instead)
Meat Wagon - has 30 Armor. (Elite: Attacks Towers increasing the remaining cooldown until the next attack)
Necromancer - Has an Aura that makes none mechanicle and non Skeleton units into a Skeleton on death (60% of dying unit life, 10 armor). (Elite: Has one of 3 Auras giving skeletons one of the 3 buffs)
Air units are planed but not completly implemented yet as they would take a other path (or shortcuts).
Amount of Units, Champions, Elites and Buffs is determined before you choose the level and is represented to you.
Also Levels with more then 1 Spawn are planned.

Lord_Earthfire said:
Also, with slows getting overriden, it can get s it counterproductive to have multiple. I would think about having the duration refreshed when the slow is worse than the slow applied before that. Except when the slow value is the same, then it does not matter.
You are right, I can see slow from other towers refreshing duration of current slow in proportion to the current slow. Unless it's higher then it would be a overwrite.

edit: I have given up on the Projekt. It just didn't felt right anymore after how blizz is currently.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.