• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Random item creation ingame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ok here is whats up:

I created a few basic weapons so one with +1 one with +2 damge etc and some abiltitys like fire damge, frost damge, incrased speed.

Now i would have to make for evry basic item a a magical ver. for evry abilty.

I dont want to do this cause it needs ALOT of time and makes the map bigger.

But maybe there is a trigger to give items abilits when they drop, like i would give abilitys to units, but i never found one:sad:

Does someone knows something?

Level 28
I don't think it's possible to add abilities to items after they are created...
I've got a map with about 600 items and I've set them all manually, just live with it :D

(tro to write every letter, though... it was pretty hard to understand at first).

You could use items as variables, though... but then you'll need a complex system, which can take more time than setting every item's abilities.

Level 9
If you know something about creating items with variables pls tell.

I have already 70 basic items with 25 abitlys = 1750 possible items :ugly:

It would be also make the drop triggers shorter.

In the end the system should drop items based on the lvl of the creeps(which is already working) and then sometimes add abiltys like it does on comom rpgs like d2 TQ.

Exemple:
Perfect stone axe: +3 damge
Fire : +1 fire damge(splash)
Speed buff: +10AS
=
Fast perfect stone axe of fire

Level 28
From what I understand in your system, isn't a socket-system easier?

You just drop the basic items and then the abilities are tomes/runes, when you pick them up, you give the hero an ability (with a spellbook or something) and add t

Like this:
Perfect Stone Axe (+3dmg) is in your inventory, it can contain 2 runes/tomes/stones/...
You pick up a "Fire Rune", the hero gets the ability "Fire Rune" in a spellbook and has +1 fire damage added
If you then pick up a "Speed Rune", the hero gets the "Speed Rune" ability
Any runes picked up after that will be dropped again.

you can also use the ability "Unsocket Rune 1/2"

I've made a system like that in one of my maps (still working on it) and it works really great.
I think this is the best solution for your problem.

Level 9
I nkow what you mean but this then people could some high lvl enmeies till the highest aviable weopen it could drop then they just have to kill smaller eneies till they have the rune...

in addition this would be crazy on my map cause the normal abiltys already gained a way like ths :con:

pls tell me what you meant in your first post :wink:

Level 28
Allright, I hope it's somewhere on the hive, since it can become pretty complex :p

So, first of all: you won't actually "see" the items in your inventory, you will need a multiboard for the description/item itself.

Then you will need to add all abilities in some spell-book system, so your hero can have the effects of the items, without actually carrying them.

Then, if an item is dropped/picked up, you'll need a trigger that can check what kind of item it is, the req lvl and everything you need.
Heroes which do not meet the required level will be skipped, of course.
Then you set the item in the correct place in the multiboard (armor/weapon/...) and set the variable "Armor[playernumber] = item being manipulated".

For conditions, I advise to use "Armor[playernumber] = no item equal to true", so you're sure the hero isn't wearing an armor.

Erm, well... then: the removal of the item:
Just set the armor[PN] to "no item", drop the item from the player and you're done.

The most difficult trigger is the one that checks every item that is dropped and set the correct abilities/description.

Oh, yeah... do you know how to show a multiboard to only 1 player, instead of all players?
Since every player will have different items, that is recommended.

Level 28
Hmm now i know what you mean... I already heard of this system but in my opinon it sux:thumbs_down:
lokks like i have some work o do .... maybe i reduce the number of items.

Why does it suck? :(
You know, most of the time it looks really cool (in my eyes) :p
If you create an appealing multiboard, well-made items and descriptions, it can become better than a normal system :p

And you save room in your inventory :)
but well, it's your choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.