• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Question for the admins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly sure ralle based the resource sections off the forum sections, since they are counted as posts and show up on searches. Though he could have just integrated them, not based it upon them. As for the other question, the info is stored in MySQL tables, though the storage method shouldn't matter too much.

As for getting a maps data, you're going to need a custom program that is compatible with your server which can manipulate MPQ files. Writing a script which does that in a server language like PHP would be fairly difficult and probably not worth it. You can look at such libraries as StormLib and sfmpq and do it in C++.

Once you have that program, you're going to need to make something which can parse the maps files in order to get the info out of them. Things like maps name, tileset, author ect. This could be done directly on the server and shouldn't require a program for it. As for BLP images (map preview, skins, icons), you're going to need to make another program which can read BLP and convert it to a format viewable by browsers.

If you have these utulities it's very easy to develop a rough draft of this system. I've done it so myself (a little past a rough draft). Though I know ralle does not like to share these utilities for obvious (and understandable) reasons. There are also other ways to develop such a system, but this is how ralle does it and it's probably one of the most elegant solutions.

Sadly, if you do not know where to start you are going to have a long way to go.

Level 1
Set up a system that allows users to post on the hive via iframe.

Once they are done, redirect them back to your site and spider the content off the hive.

You could use PHP's file_get_contents to do this.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Set up a system that allows users to post on the hive via iframe.

Once they are done, redirect them back to your site and spider the content off the hive.

You could use PHP's file_get_contents to do this.
What a stupid idea.

That's basically stealing. Just like you did with your maps site.

This is trolling, I don't care what you say MrApples.

Good thing I went and bought my own server about three months ago then..

And I'm perfectly capable of doing everything THW can do in MyBB, which is free.
I just choose not to spend the time to code it.

Also, the site in your sig. Theme is crowded, and too many boards.
The "Admin Contact" board should be a sub of "Site Discussion", and the "Workshop" board isn't needed, since you have the "Requests" board.
And all the resource boards should be a sub of a main submissions zone, and approved resources are moved to the proper location.

Just my opinion though. Do with it what you will.

Edit: HTML Frames? Seriously? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.