• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Question about certain map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi guys!

I have one question/request regarding a certain map.

Map in question is: Founders of the North 1.24

Neither the first creator of this map nor the second creator haven't been active in years, so I can't contact them and get permission to work on the map.

Since this map is kinda abandoned and nobody is updating it for years, I wanted to ask you guys if anyone has unprotected version of this map, so I could somehow update it and add new content to it.

With best regards,
Watcher

Level 15
If you manage to get an unprotected version, you'd best keep the authors in the credit and a link to downloading the original map. In such case, it would be good to revive a dead project that is already in no good down the abyss as it is dead.

I am pretty sure no one has an unprotected version for the map except for the two creators, so your only approachable solution is to de-protect it.

A common rule on this forum is that de-protecting maps is totally prohibited and any questions about it would be illegal. But let's be real, I know the map and truly it has been dead for years, even the two creators are indeed unreachable in any way.

Yet, better avoid talking about any deprotection until someone with an unprotected version comes up out of the blue. It's always better to respect the forums' rules.

I also suggest looking at the old version of the map, maybe the author kept them unprotected. Doesn't hurt to check.

Regards,

Level 15
IMO nobody gives a shit about deprotecting any more. I haven't seen anyone push back against it on THW in the past year.

I have been absent for two years so I wasn't aware of such changes. Deprotecting in such a situation would be circumstantially allowed since the creators don't seem to care about their map anymore.

@Watcher, if you don't know how to de-protect it on your own or de-protecting turned out impossible (which is impossible in itself to fail), I would say that you create it from scratch which is what I did once with FarmerVHunter 3.5, as for the terrain outlay, you can get that by deprotecting it and removing the huge custom script, and keep only anything that is not in trigger editor. Whereas for the trigger, you do that on your own.

Level 4
Ty for replies guys, I will try deprotecting that map by myself, if I fail in it, I will probably make it from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.