• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
has anyone made their own vJass quest system yet? im making my own but im really low on time (considering i only get about 2 hours of freetime a day, +- chill days like today) and its kinda hard :p

and when i say a quest system i mean like

JASS:
local Quest q = Quest.createQuest()
call q.addKill(udg_BanditLord,)
call q.nextLevel
call q.addKillType('nplm', 10)
call q.nextLevel
call q.interact(udg_NPC)
call q.nextLevelEnd
call q.rewardGold(1000)
call q.rewardItem('npal')
set quests[0] = q

JASS:
local group g = CreateGroup()
call GroupAddUnit(g, udg_Hero)
call quests[0].start(g)

JASS:
call BJDebugMsg(I2S(q.currentLevel))

(above is how im planning my quest system...

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Maybe, but if you've ever done quest menus in wc3 you know it's a pain in the ass ;)

But I worry my posts are not answering your queries at all.

To answer your original post more directly, I don't know off the top of my head any system that does the same thing - perhaps someone who studies system submissions might have a better response.

That being said, it looks like you could make a pretty cool system with what you've thought of so far.

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help creating it.

Level 19
Maybe, but if you've ever done quest menus in wc3 you know it's a pain in the ass ;)

But I worry my posts are not answering your queries at all.

To answer your original post more directly, I don't know off the top of my head any system that does the same thing - perhaps someone who studies system submissions might have a better response.

That being said, it looks like you could make a pretty cool system with what you've thought of so far.

Good luck, and let us know if you need any help creating it.

you have one sensitive ass than... its not that hard

anyway, back on topic~

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Take a look at QuestMessageBJ() and CreateQuestBJ(), and you will understand why quest menu can be a pain - not that I imply I use nor advocate the use of BJ functions, but blizzard obviously used them for a reason - if you want your map to follow a good aesthetic theme (read: good ux), you'll have to write/use a system or suffer repeating many things over and over.

Blizzard's quest system is quiet easy and still flexible enough in my opinion... And I don't see why would all BJs be evilness... You would like to have the whole map's script in 1 fonction (2 for the config - damn'it -)?
And that's not like if people used quest functions in loops, usually.

Back on topic, maybe someone made that already, but quests are one of the few things where developers can be original and create the fun out of their maps. That's not a good idea to make a system for that in my opinion (with the exception of the reward system, but that's it). It's quiet boring to always have "talk to a NPC" -> "kill X monsters/Get Y item" -> "return to the NPC".

Level 19
Take a look at QuestMessageBJ() and CreateQuestBJ(), and you will understand why quest menu can be a pain - not that I imply I use nor advocate the use of BJ functions, but blizzard obviously used them for a reason - if you want your map to follow a good aesthetic theme (read: good ux), you'll have to write/use a system or suffer repeating many things over and over.

the quest sysstem has nothing to do with the quest menu. anyway, i found creating/editing quests quite easy...

Blizzard's quest system is quiet easy and still flexible enough in my opinion... And I don't see why would all BJs be evilness... You would like to have the whole map's script in 1 fonction (2 for the config - damn'it -)?
And that's not like if people used quest functions in loops, usually.

Back on topic, maybe someone made that already, but quests are one of the few things where developers can be original and create the fun out of their maps. That's not a good idea to make a system for that in my opinion (with the exception of the reward system, but that's it). It's quiet boring to always have "talk to a NPC" -> "kill X monsters/Get Y item" -> "return to the NPC".

well one of the functions i didnt post is

call TriggerAddAction(t, q.addTrigger(true)) (the boolean decides wether or not to destroy the quest on completion)

when t is called, the quest requirement is fulfilled. this allows for easy implementation of custom requirements. but in honesty, most quests will be kill/collect x

Kingz started his quest library, but never finished.
Btw, seperate the core (Quest.AddRequirement()) with features (CreateQuestKillRequirement(), CreateQuestItemRequirement(), CreateQuestAreaRequirement()).

area requirement... didnt even think of that one... and why seperate them? they kinda are seperated anyway...

q.createQuest()
q.addInteract(udg_npc1)
q.addInteract(udg_npc2) //also adding an addInteractOr, sort of like borderlands
q.nextLevel
q.addInteract (udg_npc3) //requires npc1 and npc2 to be interactd efore npc3 can be
q.nextLevelDone
q.itemreward('h000', 5')
q.goldreward(500)

i dont really get what your saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.