• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quality of... Everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Now, I don't own a beta key (nor do I want to at the moment) but I have seen many, many videos and screen shots.
Since many things have gotten better (3-d modeling, texturing, lighting, tirggering, everything else etc.) will the standard to which we hold maps change? Seriously, since achieving great things with Wc3 was difficult, the average map was generally worse. Now that many new things are possible, is it to be expected? I'd like to hear all of your thoughts on the issue.

Should what was considered "okay" on the wc3 engine be considered "okay" on the Sc2 engine as well?

Level 12
By quality, i don't necessarily mean graphics and spells.
What I sortta wanted to know if gameplay value (Like how much fun did you have, replay value) will bump up in quality aswell.
I thought this because certain wc3 maps are absolutely terrible. They are not really that fun, and often just annoying. Yet they were accepted, due to good triggering, good terrain etc. As long as the map had somewhat reason to be played, it was accepted.

Say you were poor you whole life. Then one day someone gave you millions and billions of (your currency here). After a while, you start getting use to nice things. If your chef gave you disqusting spagetthi (the kind you used to eat, living in your cardboard box) you simply wouldn't eat it. What I mean is that EVERYTHNG should be high quality, not just the aesthetics.

(Sorry for the terrible metaphor. Please stay on topic and don't poke fun at it.)

Level 11
Maps will be much, much better than before.

When we were able to play custom maps, I played a few that were already better many Wc3 maps. So, I imagine by the time release rolls around, most of the maps will be as good as if not better than the top maps on WC3 now.

Level 10
It will be the same, imo.

There will always be people that spend 5 minutes on a map and label is something in caps with lots of symbols and leets, and pwns, and all the other manor of "pro" things.

These will always exist.

The engine itself is quite a step forward, so these will be higher quality by default, but in terms of time spent and in terms of the skill of those doing them, that will not change.

Level 5
I think that currently the lack of large amounts of documentation and complexity of the data editor will scare away alot of the really low quality maps for a time but as people get to know the editor better it will probably start becoming more like what WC3 is in term of average map quality

Status
Not open for further replies.