• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Psychic Tower

Psychic Tower

— By Nepumin / Directive255 / ProxyCakey

Current Edition: 1.1b
(Description Update A)

Alternate Name(s):YAPSYT

Give Credits if Used. Feel Free to Edit for Personal Use.

Description

Psychic Towers are a fearsome sight to behold, found in many of Yuri's larger bases. Any of these diabolical spires can seize the minds of the first few enemies that gets close. There is no telling what fates await the victims once they are hypnotized. They might be sent hibernating in a Bio Reactor, pushed to fight against their former comrades (and most likely die), or the worst - getting torn to shreds within the Grinder.

Unlike the Mastermind however, the Psychic Tower cannot be overloaded into self-demolition. Conversely, this only allows the Psychic Tower seize up to 3 minds at any one time, not more. The tower's control slots may only be freed when the victims are murdered, or when they are sent to the Bio Reactors, or when the tower itself is powered down.

The Psychic Tower from Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge is now here to stay in the realms of Warcraft!

Preview Gallery 1.1

191731-134f406d4391b74a44286b8618b8acd0.gif

191738-ed49d0c8923e072efec3aaf6d5def476.gif

191730-7aee778a91ae14baa53b29f434226e0d.gif

191732-965695038e9ac893565a1dfdc7cf7c23.gif

191734-bcad1497a90a27e9228dc02f6b09901a.gif

Feature List

Animations
  • Attack Spell
  • Attack Spell Alternate Second - Ruined
  • Birth
  • Death
  • Death Gold Lumber - Sell
  • Decay
  • Portrait
  • Portrait First - Static
  • Stand
  • Stand First - Static (Changed!)
  • Stand Alternate Second - Ruined
  • Stand Alternate Third - Ruined Static
  • Stand Work First (New!)
  • Stand Work Alternate Second Third (New!)
Building Foundation
Portrait Camera
  • Team-Colored Background
Attachment Points
  • Overhead Ref
  • Origin Ref
  • Chest Ref
  • Sprite First Ref
  • Sprite Second Ref
  • Sprite Third Ref
  • Sprite RallyPoint Ref

Remarks

Recommended Object Editor Settings:

The standard stand animation works fine in-game, but the display may be quirky in the World Editor.

• To make changes to the model, edit the file with any suitable programs like Magos' Model Editor, mdlvis or Retera's Model Studio. Notepad++ (I know MS Notepad exists but why would one use it? That shit is very lackluster!) can also be used to edit the model if converted it to .mdl format.

• If you want to get rid of the golden glowing effect during Attack Spell animations, rename all the Stand sequences by adding "Attack Spell" after "Stand" (e.g. "Stand Attack Spell", "Stand Attack Spell Alternate First", "Stand Attack Spell Alternate Second", etc.) AND get rid of the default "Attack Spell" sequences by any means necessary (renaming the sequences, deleting the sequences, etc.).

• The Ruined animations are designed to work with animation triggers. You may detect whether the tower is damaged enough to have the game engine slap On Fire effects (those fires one sees whenever a building is damaged badly enough), and if so, then toggle the suitable animation tags. Well, maybe, you can also rework A Void's Building Fire System for this?

• The static animations are accessible through triggers and object editor tags. These are designed as extra options for modders, who might not want the towers spinning.

• However, if you want to simulate "low power" or EMP effects, I would suggest changing the animation speed to 0% through triggers instead.

• The Death Gold Lumber animation is designed for use with custom "Sell" or "Unpack" abilities together with triggers.

Changelog

28 May 2021

Changes:
  • Improved the material for the team color parts to look crispier and more realistic. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Improved the texture wrapping for the central circle/disc to look more metallic and refined.
  • Added Stand Work animations.
  • Included the mention of the Yuri's Revenge expansion pack in the "Special Thanks" section.
  • Description Update A: Removed old previews.

To-Do List:
  • Improving the texture wrapping for the rod sockets/rings for greater accuracy. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Enhancing the death effects. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Animation: Birth (Undead)
  • Idea: Mal'Ganis Psychic Tower

25 May 2021

Changes:
  • Fixed a typo in the description.
  • Changed the color of the Edition indicator from gray to violet.
  • Updated the To-Do List.

To-Do List:
  • Improving the texture wrapping for the rod sockets/rings for greater accuracy. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Adjusting the material layers for the team color parts. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Enhancing the death effects. (Credit: @Mythic)
  • Animation: Stand Work
  • Animation: Birth (Undead)

25 May 2021

Changes:
  • Adjusted the primary preview. (Adjusted the primary preview again in Description Update B, and added a new additional preview in Description Update C)
  • Added a mention of Yuri's Revenge in the Description.
  • Added Olan van der Spek and his XCC Mixer into the Special Thanks section.

To-Do List:

25 May 2021

Changes:
  • Uploaded.
  • Hopefully there will be no problems at launch lmao. The Bridge Repair Hut model once sent me screaming and hurrying for rapid hotfixes over and over lol. This model took me like, what, days of troubleshooting and fine-tuning amidst screams of pain and frustration.

To-Do List:

Special Thanks

Westwood StudiosInspiration and Original Content from Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
@Mythic, @General FrankTroubleshooting
Blender FoundationBlender 2.78
@FingolfinWarcraft MDL exporter for Blender 2.79
@MagosWar3 Model Editor
АлексейMdlvis
@ReteraRetera's Model Studio v0.04
Olaf van der Spek (XCC)XCC Mixer
Banshee (Project Perfect Mod)Open Source SHP Builder
@KwahTutorial: Basic Animation
@Daffa, @WhiteFang, @Mythic, @apcrabnightlive, @MishaEnthusiatic Support
Contents

Psychic Tower (Model)

Psychic Tower E1.1b (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
Interesting modern structure. Works in-game. Approved!
Ah, this has turned out really well, and kudos on adding in all the animations.. although i kinda don't remember those black rods ever changing color oO still, it is nice.
Wonder what's next; flying saucer? Boomer submarine? Magnetron? Ore Miner? Yuri Prime?
Now, to give the system matches this
let's just tweak the mastermind system that was made for my tank. :) provided it still works in reforged

Level 22
@WhiteFang, @apcrabnightlive, @darkravenbest Thanks a lot! Yuri will be proud!

@Daffa Let's go! Can't wait for it!

Ah, this has turned out really well, and kudos on adding in all the animations.. although i kinda don't remember those black rods ever changing color oO still, it is nice.
Wonder what's next; flying saucer? Boomer submarine? Magnetron? Ore Miner? Yuri Prime?

let's just tweak the mastermind system that was made for my tank. :) provided it still works in reforged

Thanks a lot, chief! Uhm, the rods turning golden is based off an unused animation in the YR game files, and I've also seen it in use in Mental Omega 3.3 lol. :D

Open-Source-SHP-Builder-GoldenRods.png

I have quite a few plans for what's next... Battle Bunker, War Miner, Tank Bunker and maybe the GDI Component Tower in Tiberian Sun. Maybe I should create a list in pastebin for all those plans lol. I also have plans to make all the Tech buildings, standard arsenal buildings and even campaign buildings like Yuri Statue and Mayan Pyramid lol

Now that you said it, maybe I should upload an edition with the goldening animations removed?

@Daffa, @Misha Sounds great! Hmmm, though maybe we can also fix the Mastermind system along the way. (The Mastermind keeps overloading even when it no longer controls more than 3 units once overloaded. And maybe we can replace the Arcane Tower missile indicator with custom lightning effects which would work better I believe?)

Level 22
Great job! It looks authentic to the original :goblin_good_job:
pschicingame_104.jpg

Thanks Blanc!

Yes and I feel very accomplished for that. 😎 Went to great lengths to make sure the birth animation matches closely to the original, and I even included the ruined animation varieties too!

Though it took me a long while to make it lol
And of course hours of screaming in frustration as I iron out all the bugs I notice lol

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is pretty incredible; the attention to detail is impeccable.

I also have to give mega-props to your extensively detailed & comprehensive Description/Credits write-up; this is the stuff other modelers should aspire to.

@Misha let me know if you end up fixing/improving the Mastermind trigger system, since I'm using that for my Trolls as well (and the Psychic Tower version might fit better anyway)

@Misha let me know if you end up fixing/improving the Mastermind trigger system, since I'm using that for my Trolls as well (and the Psychic Tower version might fit better anyway)
I don't do triggers and spellcrafting, Kyrbi0. We'll need some other brainiac with plenty of free time to make sense of and improve the mastermind system and its code.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I don't do triggers and spellcrafting, Kyrbi0. We'll need some other brainiac with plenty of free time to make sense of and improve the mastermind system and its code.
I know you don't; IIRC it was Tank_Commander who wrote the code for it.

However I figured that no matter who did it, you would end up knowing about it, so pinging you made sense. : )

Level 2
@Nicolas_Z_013 awesome, hope to see some of your work in the future

that said, i was originally planning to make more models, but life has been rather tiring lately lol. who knows if i'll return and make a battle bunker model for example
I actually have a Red Alert 1 map but did not translate it to English yet. Hopefully, I may start a map of Yuri's revenge someday.
QQ截图20210923123035.png