• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Protected Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi guys...I have a problem...I want to protect a map like no others can open it with world editor...just me...can anyone tell what i need to do for protect a map?

Level 5
Thanx :)

{EDIT}
1 more thing...if i change warcraft...i means i uninstall this warcraft and instal it again...can i edit it too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is impossible to protect maps in WC3. You can mearly break them so WE is unable to load them. As long as you keep an undamaged version of the map somewhere (I advise with someone other than you for maximum safety) you will always be able to edit that version on any installation of WC3 with the right version installed (generally expansion and lattest patch).

Level 2
Keep in mind, there are different types of protections you can place on your map.

There's the "stop user from opening map with WE kind," which is generally the most common and weakest one.

There's also the corrupt MPQ kind, which prevents users from using programs to deprotect (un-doing the above protection) your map.

And there's also the anti-cheating kind, which is the most broad and flexible one. It is also the hardest to break. Users can easily place a cheatpack into your map and give certain users an advantage over others (assuming that they know the activator.)

I could join a GHosted game on BNet right now, and chances are, there will be a cheatpack in the map.

If you're smart, you probably won't stop EVERYONE from opening your map, but a damn large amount of them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There's also the corrupt MPQ kind, which prevents users from using programs to deprotect (un-doing the above protection) your map.

No it does not, it purl causes some MPQ editors to crash due to their lack of robustness. Some newer MPQ editors allow you to force opening with WC3 MPQ reader (Strom) standards which allows you full access to all the files.

It is actually abusing a bug in WC3 whereby the file specification is not strictly enforced (does not check version number for example). Storm does not evaluate the content of the version field at all and as such it can be set to any old garbage. If it is changed to newer MPQ versions like the ones used in SC2, a lot of MPQ editors will crash as it is missing key file structers not present in the orignal MPQ version WC3 uses. MPQ editors are forced to support all versions of MPQ if they are to be considered good so it is a rather underhanded trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.