• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Protected Map Hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
How easy is it to edit a map in WE if I'm using Vexorian's Optimizer with protection settings?

I downloaded a version of my own map on battlenet and it's really fishy
Here's what I have now:

Fortress Survival Alpha 3.1 (Downloaded)
Fortress Survival Alpha 3.10 (Unprotected, not hosted)
Fortress Survival Alpha 3.10P (After using Vexorians, this is what I host)

The odd one out is 3.1, is it possible to only change the name? That is the ONLY difference I can see. After downloading it is shown as 3.10 but is still 3.1 in my archive.
It was protected in WE so I could not open it and I saw no changes whatsoever in the content of the game itself.

Level 11
Vexorians map optimizer will not prevent people from editing your map. It will make it more difficult to edit object data. The Widgitizer will make it even harder. (Or easyer, if you know how to edit the SLK and TXT data) Vex's Map Optimizer will also make the code horribly unreadable, preventing all but the most dedicated theives from modifying existing map code. However, its always possible to simply add more code to the sctipt, inserting cheats.

In your case, a quick lookover of war3map.j will tell you if the map has had cheats added to it. (use an MPQ editor to extract the file, and simply check for code that is not obfuscated.)

There are several (many) methods to protecting a map, some of which require rather advanced knowledge about how WC3 works. Vex's optimizer combined with the widgitizer will, however, keep most of the idiotic 12 year olds from editing your map.

Level 11
If you extract the war3map.j from the one in your archive, and the one in the fishy version, a quick 'comp [first file] [second file]' will tell you if they are at all (in any way) different. As far as I know this command only works on windows, but I've never used a mac...

Run cmd.exe (from the run console.)
Then type in comp <first file with complete path> <second file with complete path>
Remove the <>
It'll instantly tell you if there's any difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.