• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Defense / Survival] protect the house inspired map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I'm sure many of you have played some version (of which there are MANY) of Protect the House. It's a fun map with a nice concept. I've decided to do something similar, make a map from the ground up based on the PTH concept but, hopefully, add more interesting features, terrain, heroes and enemies to survive against.

I myself have about 10 versions of PTH on my computer, but for an idea of what you're looking at right now, think Protect the House 2 Final (lol).

There will be 8 players, with 8 openings and their respective lanes. Each player will pick a hero at the start of the game, and also receive a builder. Both of these units will be on 30 second respawn timers if killed.

The idea is to build defenses in each opening by barricading and towering in order to 'protect the house'. Early game the focus will mostly be on towers as players build and defend. Every 5 waves, an undead champion will spawn in a random lane and attack, requiring players to group their heroes in order to defeat them. Late game, I intend the creeps to outscale the towers so that the game then leans towards a heavier hero focus. If players survive all waves without dying, the final superboss will spawn. Hero classes like support/tank/DPS will have an impact on whether or not they can defeat him.

Like most of the PTH maps I want this to be very fast paced and difficult, but not impossible. I know this will come up, so the reason I am having a builder AND a hero instead of making them the same unit is to give players the opportunity to explore the map while maintaining their base.

Unlike the PTH maps I want the explorable area to matter. I want to add a few easter eggs, secret bosses, and a secret shop with powerful but expensive items, even a secret hero perhaps. Maybe some mob camps so that players can get extra gold/gear.

This my first map and the scariest thing about it is balancing creep waves/towers, but I'm told there's nothing to do about that but test, test, test, so wish me luck.

I absolutely welcome ideas for features to be added and things to be changed or adjusted. At the moment I'd really like some suggestions from tower types. At the moment I have 4 tower types - arrow, cannon, magic, slow. They respectively upgrade into poison, fire, lightning ice. I understand these are boring but I'm at a loss and sort of afraid to make things too complicated for myself. I thought it would be cool if the towers can unlock auras after a certain amount of kills, like Sprout TD, although I'm absolutely lost on how I would do that.

Hero ideas would also be great as I need at least 8, one per player. I was thinking 10-12 is a good number to aim for and have about 5 planned out but will need more.

Keep in mind I'm a novice and I'm currently leaning-as-I-go in WE and spending a lot of time reading tutorials and forum posts.

Level 2
Can the heroes support each other or is it one per lane?

Is there a limit on the amount of towers?

Heroes can support each other. They are meant to be able to roam to other lanes and also explore the map.

There will be no limit on towers. I don't think I need one given the amount of space I will be giving to build in.

Level 2
If the space is actually pretty small, just remember that players could grief others' heroes/builders by boxing them in with towers.
I plan on countering this with the host being able to kick, assuming the host isn't also a troll. the buildings will then be distributed at random to allies and able to be sold. But there is a possibility I could set each player's builder a certain region that only they could build in. I know it's possible, it's just whether or not I'm up for it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.