1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Project Spotlight - April 2019

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Landmine, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Landmine

Landmine

Multimedia Manager

Resources:
    Resources:

In May 2017, The Hive Workshop ran a paired modeling/texturing contest where 6 teams competed for the best leader unit. While entries ranged from sci-fi to comical, it was the Mo'arg Overlord by FerSZ and Murlocologist thatcaptured first place.

Today, the Mo'arg Overlord commands a strong presence. He's got a 5.00 rating and boasts an army of 6500+ minions (or downloads). With all the care FerSZ and Murlocologist put into the unit, it's not hard to see why. The Overlord looks impressive and imposing while coming with over a dozen animations including attacks, spellcasting, and victory poses with really nice particle effects that I wish I was able to capture in the previews below.

One of our goals this year is to start up these spotlights once again. There are many projects available and we want to show off the higher quality ones. Expect to see more awesome projects next month.
    If you have any recommendations on any projects that you feel should be showcased, send me a message.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hands down one of highest quality (and coolest) user-made model I have ever seen! It blew mind right outta my head...

Btw the pic isn't showing for me...

Attached Files:

3. Tommi Gustafsson

Tommi Gustafsson

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No permission to see that. If you uploaded them via Media please make them public.

5. Landmine

Landmine

Multimedia Manager

Resources:
    Resources:
    Image issue should now be fixed. Thanks for letting me know, guys.

6. Duke

Duke

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice to see project spotlights again. Adds more life to the front page

7. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Which animation set does it use?

8. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I read the comments of the model.
    Then took a closer look at the model.

[​IMG]

The way people are hyping up this model I expected some AAA quality model.
    Still amazed me how much people lower their standards just because something is fan made.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good solid model. I just don't agree with the insane 'BEST MODEL EVER!!' comments

Glad spotlights are back regardless, thumbs up.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Chaosy you're always unsatisfied.

10. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am not an optimist, no.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's a different aspect. You're just too spoiled.

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maybe?

I can find free models in the Unity store that are way better (in my subjective opinion)
    and they get way less praise because it is a competitive market. Which makes sense since the market is simply larger than wc3 modding.

All I am saying is that I think it is overhyped.
    Overhyped != bad

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's Warcraft III, not a Unity game. With Reforged, you'll probably fulfill your fantasies.

14. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Agreed

15. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It was good times teaming up with FerSZ. He did a great job with the mesh making 6k polygon model manually using mdlvis.

Texture was drawn in gimp, the ''old fashioned'' way, with the ~dreaded~ trial and error texturing workflow: gimp->wc3 viewer->mdlvis->wc3 model editor and repeat.

Unfortunately, some texture parts were rush-drawn because of the contest deadline, also model got somewhat distorted after mdlvis optimization feature was used to reduce filesize. However, in a way it positively added to model's rawness, giving him that romantic mark of the wc3 fan-modeling culture. In honor to the nature of the so called ''inferior'' modeling/ texturing tools that were used to make it, some badly drawn parts actually became the perfect fit. So we decided not to ''polish'' him and leave the model the way it was.

16. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Could not agree more, the thing that ruined this competiton to me was judges giving 5 out of 10 creativity to other models because they are an 'already established warcraft race' leader, and this model gets 10 out of 10 while being a Mo'arg leader that has got tons of species\models\leaders already in Warcraft lore