• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Spotlight - April 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10

In May 2017, The Hive Workshop ran a paired modeling/texturing contest where 6 teams competed for the best leader unit. While entries ranged from sci-fi to comical, it was the Mo'arg Overlord by FerSZ and Murlocologist thatcaptured first place.

Today, the Mo'arg Overlord commands a strong presence. He's got a 5.00 rating and boasts an army of 6500+ minions (or downloads). With all the care FerSZ and Murlocologist put into the unit, it's not hard to see why. The Overlord looks impressive and imposing while coming with over a dozen animations including attacks, spellcasting, and victory poses with really nice particle effects that I wish I was able to capture in the previews below.

One of our goals this year is to start up these spotlights once again. There are many projects available and we want to show off the higher quality ones. Expect to see more awesome projects next month.
If you have any recommendations on any projects that you feel should be showcased, send me a message.

moarg-overlord-showcase-png.320035

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I read the comments of the model.
Then took a closer look at the model.

a790fd9c6c072e3b85a29f18a3a6e6f6.png

The way people are hyping up this model I expected some AAA quality model.
Still amazed me how much people lower their standards just because something is fan made.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good solid model. I just don't agree with the insane 'BEST MODEL EVER!!' comments

Glad spotlights are back regardless, thumbs up.

Level 50
It was good times teaming up with FerSZ. He did a great job with the mesh making 6k polygon model manually using mdlvis.

Texture was drawn in gimp, the ''old fashioned'' way, with the ~dreaded~ trial and error texturing workflow: gimp->wc3 viewer->mdlvis->wc3 model editor and repeat.

Unfortunately, some texture parts were rush-drawn because of the contest deadline, also model got somewhat distorted after mdlvis optimization feature was used to reduce filesize. However, in a way it positively added to model's rawness, giving him that romantic mark of the wc3 fan-modeling culture. In honor to the nature of the so called ''inferior'' modeling/ texturing tools that were used to make it, some badly drawn parts actually became the perfect fit. So we decided not to ''polish'' him and leave the model the way it was.

I read the comments of the model.
Then took a closer look at the model.

a790fd9c6c072e3b85a29f18a3a6e6f6.png

The way people are hyping up this model I expected some AAA quality model.
Still amazed me how much people lower their standards just because something is fan made.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good solid model. I just don't agree with the insane 'BEST MODEL EVER!!' comments

Glad spotlights are back regardless, thumbs up.

Could not agree more, the thing that ruined this competiton to me was judges giving 5 out of 10 creativity to other models because they are an 'already established warcraft race' leader, and this model gets 10 out of 10 while being a Mo'arg leader that has got tons of species\models\leaders already in Warcraft lore

Status
Not open for further replies.