• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
attachment.php

Years have passed since the poison of Gaia sprung forth from the lands. Corrupted forests, inhospitable to all, have spread across the face of Kurodan, and borders have faded as all fled before the encroachment of the toxic spores. Ankhmaron, the last haven protected by the Grand River, has sent out messengers to gather volunteers for the task of finding a cure to the plague.
In a tavern close to the village Riversdale, a small group of adventurers have gathered, unknowing, that their search will turn out not to be just a race against time ...

What is Gaias Retaliation?
Gaias Retaliation is a team-orientated multiplayer save/load Rpg, designed for 3 to 8 Players.

Features:

• Custom Hero Stats
    You can choose between Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Constitution and Wisdom.
    The chat command -stats displays Spellpower, Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Armor Penetration and Evasion of your hero.
    Armor Penetration is a custom stat that extends our custom, point based armor system which allows us a much more effective use of armor unlike the ordinary blizzard armor type.
    The chat command -resists shows you how much % of Fire, Water, Lightning, Poisen, Divine, Shadow or Magic Resistance you have.
  • Unique threat system and Boss AI
    Gaias Retaliation uses a complex Threat system, that allows the tank to control the mobs and protect the group from damage.
    To improve threat-management, we implemented a threat-bar. The Boss AI differs from easy tank and spank bosses to pretty complicated scripted bosses.
    For example, some bosses tend to attack players which are not neccesarily the first-in-threat or cast spells that need to be interupted by stuns, shield bash, etc..
  • Spells
    A unique casting bar system shows you the progress of your spells and channels. All spells with cast-time are able to be countered, interrupted, etc.
  • Personal Combat Text
    The damage dealt to or by your character is displayed by floating texts above the unit's head. Enemy damage is marked red, enemy spell damage purple. Your damage is marked white, your spell damage yellow.
  • Heroes
    The classes of Gaias Retaliation divide into five basic classes and ten advanced classes. Currently available to play are the five basic classes: Squire, Cleric, Mage, Thief and Ranger
  • Equipment System
    Gaias Retaliation has one normal bag to hold your items & equipment and a material bag to store the materials used for crafting items. This equipment system provides a faster & easier game play as full screen systems do in wc3, one of the main reasons for creating a system like that.
  • Attachment System
    Each Hero of Gaias Retaliation can use 1 or 2 weapons, a misc item, armor, helmet and an accessory item. Each specific weapon / armor / helmet and sometimes even misc items can be seen on the hero and provide a different, unique look for your character.
  • Crafting System
    The player can buy or find recipes of items which need different materials, some of them being rare and some being common. You also require the interaction with objects like anvil, magic laboratory, cauldron and workbench in order to create items.
  • Building interriors
    You are able to enter houses, sometimes even with second floor.
  • Save/load
    Your character can be saved at any time by typing -save during your game. Our save/load system saves experience in small steps (not only the lvl), gold, stats, unspent stat points, learned spells, items, items in your bag, materials, quests and the respawn position of the hero.

The playable alpha includes the 2 dungeons "The Bandit Cave" and "The Caverns of Tranquility", 5 outdoor bosses and a huge and beautiful area of quests.

Download:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/gaias-retaliation-orpg-04-02-10-a-144066/

Creators:

Shapy: Terraining
muzzel: Jass
teh.fellow: Terraining, model & texture editing, project leading
Zwiebelchen aka Todeszwiebel: Jass, object data, terraining, project leading

The classes:

Squire
attachment.php

- The basic tank and melee class
- Can evolve into Berserker and Crusader
Skills: Taunt, Hateful Strike, Gaping Wounds, Shield Block, Revenge, Heroic Presence, Demoralizing Shout, Shield Slam
Weapons: Sword, Axe, Dagger, Hammer
Armor Class: Mail
Misc: Shield

Cleric
attachment.php

- Basic healing and caster class
- Can evolve into Bishop and Monk
Skills: Heal, Divine Shield, Judgement, Crippling Curse, Burst of Light, Confidence, Ressurection, Symbol of Fury
Weapons: Staff
Armor Class: Cloth
Misc: Book

Magician
attachment.php

- Basic caster damage class
- Can evolve into Necromancer and Sorceror
Skills: Fireball, Magic Missile, Dispel Magic, Fire Shield, Frost Cage, Lightning Strike, Warmth, Water Globes
Weapons: Dagger, Staff
Armor Class: Cloth
Misc: Gem

Ranger
attachment.php

- Basic ranged class
- Can evolve into Hunter and Druid
Skills: Summon Servant of Nature, Flaming Array, Claw Strike, Eagles Eye, Barbed Arrow, Ensnare, Feline Reflexes, Remedy
Weapons: Bow
Armor Class: Leather
Misc: Quiver

Thief
attachment.php

- Basic melee damage class
- Can evolve into Assassin and Bard
Skills: Stealth, Backstab, Blurred Motions, Embrittling Acid, Sweeping Strikes, Steal, Deadly Precision, Dazing Trap
Weapons: Sword, Dagger
Armor Class: Leather
Misc: Offhand Weapon

The Threat System:

Gaias Retaliation has a complex Threat system, that allows the tank to control the mobs and protect the rest of the group from being attacked. Threat is generated by damage and spells.

This is an important tactical element, that needs to be considered when playing. An unwary player can easily wipe the entire group when he is not paying attention to his threat.
To make your life easier, there is a threat-meter at the upper right corner of your interface. The following pictures show how to read it properly:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

And here you got a short trailer about the game it self.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 20,776
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 20,206
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 20,404
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 20,437
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 20,277
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 10,668
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 10,548
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10,052
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9,846
  • Gaias_Retaliation_Color.jpg
    Gaias_Retaliation_Color.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 67,424
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Yeah, please include undead, trolls, tauren, oger, dwarfs, demons, archaeopteryx and tiger tanks! Not to forget a male/female version!
I mean it's cake for you guys! I mean, you have nothing to do anyway so you can as well make new models + attachement!
Seriously Trax... nobody really cares if this game is something for you or not ^^

PS: The header (huge gaias picture on top) does only load like 50% and then stops. I can only see half of it. Is this an individual case?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
PS: The header (huge gaias picture on top) does only load like 50% and then stops. I can only see half of it. Is this an individual case?
Hmm ... try refreshing the site? Maybe that helps. It loads fine for me.

@ Suggestion about races:
That would be to much effort and - if you ask me - a waste of filespace. However, the upcoming SC2 version of Gaias Retaliation will have more variation.

Level 2
Ok I don't know whats the problem, but it works with firefox. But it does not with Chrome. So it may be a problem with the google browser...

Level 2
Yeah, please include undead, trolls, tauren, oger, dwarfs, demons, archaeopteryx and tiger tanks! Not to forget a male/female version!

This isn't WoW you know.

I really hope you had your Ironie mode activated when you replied to my proposal. I most certianly had. But if you have meant this for real, then I have only one word for you: "DUDE!?"

But if you intended to make a joke, then it was funny... I lol'D ^^

Level 3
The current quests in the game are considered "Starting Area Quests" (For lack of a more accurate term), so once the game is in Beta, and then completed, you will have MANY more quests / dungeons to go about, and thus the quests at the beginning of the game will be considered null!

And people would level up ridiculously fast and be level 50 already if they were - bad news!

Level 23
The current quests in the game are considered "Starting Area Quests" (For lack of a more accurate term), so once the game is in Beta, and then completed, you will have MANY more quests / dungeons to go about, and thus the quests at the beginning of the game will be considered null!

And people would level up ridiculously fast and be level 50 already if they were - bad news!

If quests were repeatable then there would never be a limit of quests to do- it would be infinite. As for the experience, that could be easily fixed by reducing quest xp after the first time you do it OR make the game dependent on redoing quests to help leveling up. If not, the game will become a grind, which will get boring fast

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
If quests were repeatable then there would never be a limit of quests to do- it would be infinite. As for the experience, that could be easily fixed by reducing quest xp after the first time you do it OR make the game dependent on redoing quests to help leveling up. If not, the game will become a grind, which will get boring fast
The number of quests is linked to the playable area. As the XP is capped anyways, I don't see any problem with that. You are never forced to grind in Gaias Retaliation.

I really hope you had your Ironie mode activated when you replied to my proposal. I most certianly had. But if you have meant this for real, then I have only one word for you: "DUDE!?"

But if you intended to make a joke, then it was funny... I lol'D ^^

What the hell? I don't think they are going to go through the trouble to make a dozen more models just for different races and sexes.

Level 2
What the hell? I don't think they are going to go through the trouble to make a dozen more models just for different races and sexes.

Now I know that you are either a troll or plain stupid... So what. I will explain it to you for the case you are in fact NOT a troll. I made a JOKE. The whole sentence oozed sarcasm all over the place. I mean wtf Tiger Tanks!?

@ Zwiebelchen,

to repeat the quests again and again is nothing other than just grinding ^^ I mean there is no quest during which you must not kill tons of creeps. I don't think it would be good for the story to bring the innkeeper proof for the bandits again and again. An other thing are quests which are repeatable like killing 15 wolfs. But to make such quests repeatable would simply mean to boost the xp given by wolfes, because if you would kill wolfs anyway you also got the extra xp for the quest. This would just result in a increase of xp given for one wolf. Well whatever in the end it would make the game just more easy because you could reach lvl50 doing D1 again and again... (I know that would be stupid ^^)

Level 23
Look at RPG's such as TKOK... The quests there are repeatable and it doesn't screw up the game play... I don't see why Gaia's can't mimic TKOK in that way, being able to repeat quests is fun when you remake the game and load your old char..

Level 1
in my opinion there is no need for repeatable quests.
you level fast enough and max lvl is 50, what is easy to get at the next version i think.
and it wouldt not make any sense to tell the inkeeper from the bandits again and again... he is not stupid and also got none alzheimer's disease
its not to compare with that stupid "kill 100 mobs of this kind" quests
@ tulee: in tkok you dont get any more exp if ur to high for that quest, just a bit gold.
and you are forced to grind to beat the 2nd dungeon in that game and that sux balls

Level 3
Look at RPG's such as TKOK... The quests there are repeatable and it doesn't screw up the game play... I don't see why Gaia's can't mimic TKOK in that way, being able to repeat quests is fun when you remake the game and load your old char..

i don't see why GR has to mimic TKOK. GR and TKOK both are in their own ways. it doesn't mean TKOK is doing this and it means GR has gotta follow it.

Level 3
i don't see why GR has to mimic TKOK. GR and TKOK both are in their own ways. it doesn't mean TKOK is doing this and it means GR has gotta follow it.

Exactly! And who died and made TKOK the template ORPG for WC3? It's nice to have diversity within' the multiple big-name ORPG's..! I mean, how sucky would it be if all ORPG's were like Twilight's Eve (Where is a barfing emoticon when you need one)!

PS - Sarcasm is impossible to convey through text.

Am I being sarcastic? Am I being serious? It's impossible to tell! Or is this sarcasm too..? Hah :)

That's an example, not a demand. He isn't saying that they should absolutely copy every detail of TKOK, he is saying that it is more fun and enjoyable with repeatable quests. I think that there should be a random Quest generator, so there is no limit, but also every quest is unique. There is one in the spells section.

Level 2
Yeah a random quest generator sounds like fun. Like, find item xy. Then this item will be placed randomly over the map and all people will try to find it first because only the one bringing it back will get a reward. Of course there should also spawn really badass monsters which carry the item, because otherwise it would be to easy and soloable ;)

Level 5
Or have one of does repeatable quest, like kill x boars or bandits and so on..and u get a reasonable bit of exp and cash =P also make the exclaimation mark on top of quest giver head blue, to show it's repeatble =P kinda like wow.

Level 9
I think the best way to go with this is to have the following types of quests:

Normal Quests - Done once (any reward)
Example. Kill a boss and return his head to the quest giver. Reward: Uber item, gold, exp.

Repeatable Quests - First time is like Normal Quest, after that the rewards will change. (any reward)
Example. Gather 10 herbs from the wilderness. First time Reward: Unique potions, gold, exp.
Repeated rewards: unique potions only.
OR
Example.Kill high rank bandits and collect 10 of their rank badges, then return to quest giver. First time reward: Uber Item, Gold, Exp. Repeated rewards: Gold only.

(Optional) Class specific quests - Only certain classes can obtain these quests. (class specific, like abilities and equipment + anything else)
Example. For Mages. Entrap 10 unshackled elementals and return to the Arch Mage/Quest giver. Reward: Uber Mage Only Item + exp.
OR
Example. For Rogues. Enter and sneak through the Castle all the way in to the Guard Captains quarters and steal his keyring then sneak back out and return to the guest giver. You may not be seen by anyone at any time or the current attempt will fail and you must leave the castle and try again. Rewards: New ability that helps with sneaking and staying undetected + gold + exp.

(Optional) Group Quests - Quest can be accepted but not attempted until enough players have the same quest. (any reward)

(Optional) Trade Skill Quests - Quest giver wants you to craft an item for him. The item has no use to the player but the quest reward is. (any reward)

And ofcourse all quests have requirements, depending on level and story progress.

(SC2 Only. Reason: Dialogs + So much changes)
And other kind of thing I had in mind is that maybe recepies should be learnable. So that the recepies could be unlocked by buying them and once it's bought all players that want to learn it only have to go to the place where it can be bought but they don't need to pay anything anymore.

(SC2 Only. Reason: Banks)
And yet another thing is that I think you could make such a system that rewards hc gamers by giving them some sort of optional bonuses when creating a new character. Rewards are unlocked by completing end-game dungeons, completing the story and doing special stuff like exploring +90% of the map, ect.

Last edited:
Level 4
UBBER IDEA /\

I think there should be more quests
more creative quests
More balanced reward on most of them ( finishing d3 bridge give u 500xp, WTF) (exploring the empty sewer give 2k xp, OMG)
Some creative rewards

Level 2
Hmm ... try refreshing the site? Maybe that helps. It loads fine for me.

@ Suggestion about races:
That would be to much effort and - if you ask me - a waste of filespace. However, the upcoming SC2 version of Gaias Retaliation will have more variation.

still working on SC2 version ?

Level 8
Good job guys

I love the soundtracks, especialy from The Witcher ones,
I love details, You even made box with chickens ;)
I love unique spells and visible item
, item with procs.

This game is so epic and unique...

Level 6
yea people know zwieb is alone im sad becouse i would love to help, but i got 0 experience making maps so i would rather wait till zwieb ends it himself instead of trying to get involved and screw the map.

Gj anyways zwieb we apreaciate the time u spending to make this awsome map even better than it already is :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.