• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problems with Omni Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
  • Custom script: call SetDayNightModels("","")
So I have various lights in my map all with their own intensities, ranges and colors. I'm experiencing a range of issues. From lights cutting out in rectangles to lights not showing at all. Bit of research and I found this:

http://www.thehelper.net/threads/warcraft-3-lighting.117745/

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/light-272562/

Seems overlapping lights is a bad thing. Someone mentions to have all lights at the same intensity. I wonder can anyone elaborate on this information and what can I do to overcome this problem?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
WC3 seems to divide the map into 4*4 sectors. Each sector can have a very limited number of light sources (16? 8?) due to each needing a separate shader pass and so being expensive to render. Any beyond this limit will not be shown, even if they are shown on a nearby tile.

SC2 dealt away with such limitations thanks to a different lighting model. If you want realistic lighting use that.

If you must use WC3 then use triggers to change the Omni light based on player camera position so only 1 or 2 Omni lights exist at any time.

Level 16
Alright, so I need to cut down on lights to keep it within the undefined limit. This is for a cinematic and there are scenes where I can use less lights. Some other circumstances might be tricky.

What can you say about using different light intensities? Are the bugs coming from too many lights, or different intensities?

It is not recommended to change the intensity of omni-light sources, as this will bug up the light engine of Warcraft III.
The game only renders light sources that use the same intensity. If only one light source uses a different intensity, once it is viewed, it will cause all other light sources not to display their omnis any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.