• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fade cube model/doodad and custom script do not work with each other (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Fade cube model/doodad and custom script do not work together (?)

Hello,

I have a serious problem concerning the terrain of my map:

In my map, I use the FadeCube.mdx shared by Veritas 117 which can be found in this thread.
Additionally, I use the custom script:
  • Custom Script: call SetDayNightModels("","")
The problem is, the FadeCube, which is used to simulate an abyss, is not visible in-game at all ( due to the script, I suppose).

Is there any way to solve this issue without removing the script ?
( Adding black (0,0,0) Omni light does not solve the issue for some reason)

EDIT:
The first screenshot in the first post was made in the editor, the second is in-game with no vision ( no black mask, no fog of war).
Screen with custom light source in post #4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

@Arad MNK: Of course, I already did, but he doesn't know either.

@Chaosy: Sadly, as I said in the first post, it does not work, it looks like in the screenie in this post.

I placed the light into the abyss.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Seriously though, you can change the height of the light models and it might give visions without removing the black part.
No, sadly this doesn't work either :(

The problem is not to give vision, I would like the black to appear, the abyss shadow.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Does the Model show up in WE? (Or any other editor you use?)
The first screenshot in the first post was made in the editor, the second is in-game with no vision ( no black mask, no fog of war).

Level 14
NOTE: This is not actually my model. I just happened to have it and shared it with him. I'll see if I can find the author. Maybe they can help

Level 25

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you just want the black abyss effect, there are other ways to do it:
- Fog
- Water: replace the water texture and remove particles
- A new model which is just ~10 layers of semi-transparent black

EDIT: You can use this model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/world-editor-help-zone-98/lot-fog-my-head-226367/#post2253985

Basically, I want to add to create an atmosphere of a black, deep abyss.
Therefore I used the model Veritas117 shared with me, as it looks perfect.

The problem is, as shown in the screenies in the first posts, the doodad is not shown when there is no custom light, and if there is one, it turns into an oddly pink ( as shown in post #4).

Thank you for your suggestion, but it does not work either. I did not bother to take a screenie, but it is the same problem/ same result as with the FadeCube.

No light source = not shown
custom light source = turns pink

Level 10
maybe try the WaterPlane.mdx and make it RGB to 0/0/0 so it's black? It should have the same effect. Any additional effecs you put inside it, tend so show up a bit strange.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Why are you removing the day night models? Without them the entire world will be black as they are the default light source. Have you tried not removing the day night models?

No, but I think it is obvious this would solve the problem.

The reason why I do not do so it that the removal of these models creates an atmosphere of underground which is essential in my map.
Removing the custom script would create a new problem, the problem how to simulate a strong, dark underground feeling.
There is a thread for the underground feeling issue.

I simply don't know how I could create such an atmosphere without the custom script.

Level 10
the WaterPlane.mdx should be in every UTM map I think. Otherwise look for it at Wc3c

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The line of custom script sets the day and night environment models to none. This means there is no light at all (all lighting has to be created artificially). From personal experience the WC3 engine can have problems with too many light sources overlapping so you need to be careful.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

@jopi Thank you, I am going to search for it!

@Dr Super Good Oh, okay. But there is no solution so I can use the custom script AND the abyss fade model ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ah alright, I understand. Thank you very much, I will see how I can manage it.

EDIT: Thanks to Kaizer, he edited it for me. But, the issue is not solved. The fog stays pink now, not black as it looks in the editor.

I mixed a bit around and it seems even as a white 255 colour one, there are miscolours lie pink and green. I guess it is unavoidable and I have either to remove the custom script or think about another solution, like the water replacement.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Well, I did not search for it up to now, I am still thinking about removing the custom script.
If you could post it, it would save me some time :)

Level 10
well, you also can just lower the water model's z-size so the transparent layers are closer to each other.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Chaosy already suggested placing a light source near the model, but it does not work out, sadly. It becomes pink. Placing a light source into the model does not work either.

You don't know by chance how to edit it the way you suggested ?

Level 25
1. Get Magos war 3 model editor

2. Navigate to
Window -> Material Manager -> Right click material -> Edit -> Right click materiallayer -> Edit -> play around with stuff in the material layer window
attachment.php

Busy playing around with it myself as well.

EDIT:

Unshaded:
attachment.php

Attachments

• fogedit.jpg
    fogedit.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 116
  • unshaded.jpg
    unshaded.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 133
Status
Not open for further replies.