• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problem with my Code, crashing everytime I input my choice[C programming]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So I was planning to make match stick game for my friends, and then I came up with 116 line code hand written in 2 hours. Now I am facing this irritating problem Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Here is the code
Code:
#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>
void main()
{
    char first;
    int pick,second,third,fourth;
    printf("Hello Human,\n you wanna play a game with me?\nReply with Y to play, or else press any other key to exit\n");
    scanf("%c",first);
    if(first=='y'||first=='Y')
    {
        printf("Ok I say see you want to play with me\n The rules are simple.\nWe have total of 21 matchsticks, and we will pick matchsticks amount from 0 to 5 at every pick\n The player who gets the last 21th matchstick will loose\n");
        printf("Since you are puny, I will grant you first pick for fair play\n");
        printf("Select an amount of matchsticks, from 0 to 5. Note that you cannot pick 0 or 5 match stick\n");
        scanf("%d",&pick);
        if(pick==1)
        {
         printf("Hmm, In this case I shall pick ||||(4) matchstick\n");
         printf("Now, there are ||||||||||||||||(16) matchsticks are left.Lets continue the game\n");

}
        if(pick==2)
        {
            printf("Hmm, In this case I shall pick |||(3) Matchstick\n");
            printf("Now, there are ||||||||||||||||(16) matchsticks are left.Lets continue the game\n");

}
        if(pick==3)
        {
            printf("Hmm, In this case I shall pick ||(2) Matchstick\n");

}
        if(pick==4)
        {
            printf("Hmm, In this case I shall pick |(1) Matchstick\n");
        }

printf("Time for round 2, Human Lets go\nType in your amount of matchstick\n");
        scanf("%d",&second);
        if(second==1)
        {
        printf("Oh, Now I will take ||||(4) match stick\n");
        printf("Amazing Human,You have played well now |||||||||||(11) matchsticks are left.Lets continue this game");
        }
        if(second==2)
        {
        printf("Oh, Now I will take |||(3) match stick\n");
        printf("Amazing Human,You have played well now |||||||||||(11) matchsticks are left.Lets continue this game");
        }
        if(second==3)
        {
        printf("Oh, Now I will take ||(2) match stick\n");
        }
        if(second=4)
        {
            printf("Oh, Now I will take |(1) match stick\n");
            printf("Amazing Human,You have played well now |||||||||||(11) matchsticks are left.Lets continue this game\n");
        }
        printf("Well played human, two more rounds are left to see the winner\n");
        printf("Take your sticks");
        scanf("%d",&third);
        if(third==1)
        {
            printf("Woah, I will take ||||(4) sticks now\n");
            printf("Now humans ||||||(6) matchsticks are left\n");
        }
        if(third==2)
        {

printf("Woah, I will take |||(3) stick now\n");
        }
        if(third==3)
        {
            printf("Woah, I will take ||(3) stick now\n");
        }
        if(third==4)
        {
             printf("Woah, I will take ||(3) stick now\n");
        }
        printf("And so ends the third round, lets move to last round human\n");
        printf("You know the drill\n");
        scanf("%d",fourth);
        if(fourth==1)
        {
            printf("Gotcha,I take ||||(4) match. Since you got one match, you are LOOSER");

}
        if(fourth==2)
        {
             printf("Gotcha,I take |||(3) match. Since you got one match, you are LOOSER");
        }
        if(fourth==3)
        {
             printf("Gotcha,I take ||(2) match. Since you got one match, you are LOOSER");
        }
        if(fourth==4)
        {

printf("Gotcha,I take ||||(4) match. Since you got one match, you are LOOSER");
        }

}
    else
    {
        printf("OK BYE, THE CREATOR CREATED ME WITH LOVE FOR YOU");
    }

}
Please find out whats wrong, since I have been scratching my head from yesterday.

Level 6
Change: scanf("%c",&first);
I recommend using switch statement. switch statement in C

And you can also do this

Code:
if ( expresion ) printf( . . . );

There is no need for curly braces if you have one-liner so to say inside if statement.
Oh so he was the culprit, thanks for saying. My game worked like charm.
Also I was practising if, and else statements. So yea I could had used switch for good codes.
+REP
Thanks again for being a wind, beneath my wing.

Level 29
Always prefer to have curly braces, also where you are not forced to use them.
This is probably the most obvious error newcomers to C/C++ do.
Then they change their code and add a line to the if, forget it isn't attached to it, and waste a lot of time figuring why their code suddenly fails to work.

Also in the future, please use the [code=c] tag.

Now that you have this code that works, maybe you can figure how to use a function, to make it a lot shorter and generic (and even random, if you so desire) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.