• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Priority Planes or something else? I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Okay, I'd greatly appreciate if someone'd tell me how can I fix these things:

1, http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/163/wc3scrnshot120211162933.jpg

That black rect is supposed to be in the background, but I can't get it there...

2, http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/373/wc3scrnshot120211162950.jpg

The health bar is getting overlayed by that effects, but surprisingly not by units or doodads. Strange.

I do suck at modelling (=> I don't know too much about these things), so once again, I'd appreciate if someone would tell me how to fix them.

Thanks in advance!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Make sure your destructables and doodads are configured properly. Someone had this problem with fire once where the flames were rendered behind a building they were infront of. The solution was to change some field like occlusion so the destructable/doodad behaves normally and renders dependant on Z.

Also do remember that stuff in the background must be further away from the screen than stuff in the forground.

Download War3 Model Editor.

Open your model.

Go to Windows -> Model Editor.

Select all the vertices.

Go to the "Transformation" window. (or whatever it is called)

There should be some option (probably named Z) to modify the height. It will modify it by an offset. (therefore, inputting a value of 50 would move its current height up by 50, it wouldn't set its height to 50)

Then just go to file -> save as. Type your models name and don't forget to add a .mdx extension when you are saving it. (otherwise war3 model editor throws an error) Simple as that. =) Sorry if the names are wrong, I made this post off of memory so they may not be exact.

Alternatively, move everything else up for #1. For #2, you can just add z-offset. (by this I mean you add z/height in the editor to the health bar, and then just rescale it so it looks the same)

Last edited:
Level 16
Okay, great, I've completely forgot about Magos (I was doing some tests yesterday and then realized that the problem is with the model Z heights, but I didn't really bother myself trying to fix it, rewriting some of my older systems took all my time)

EDIT: well, giving height to the health bar model won't help me. Let me tell you some in-depth information about them:
each health bar uses 3 models: the background + level, health and resource (usually mana). As you can see on the picture, the level is clearly visible whilst the background isn't. I've also tried to modify the background height of the model and it was still behind the SFX when it was over the level text. I had the same problem once with the model, changing the priority planes helped me, but it doesn't work now. That's why I'm asking for ideas.

EDIT 2: Okay, I think I got it. The background had "Transparent" set on its material layer and the level text had "Blend". I swtiched them and now the level text gets messy (althought it looks way better now). Any idea how to get both material layers work with "Blend"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.