• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Prevent Spiked Carapace from hurting certain units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
How do I prevent spiked carapace from affecting certain units like Bosses or even to reduce the effect?

Something in "Targets Allowed" maybe or something I can do in triggers?

Thanks!

Try changing the Targets allowed to unaffect Ancient Classification and add the Ancient Classification to all bosses. Not sure if this will work but you can test.

To reduce the effect, trigger is the only way I can think of. Using a damage detection system, you can trigger the reflected damage to the damage source.

Level 6

Try changing the Targets allowed to unaffect Ancient Classification and add the Ancient Classification to all bosses. Not sure if this will work but you can test.

To reduce the effect, trigger is the only way I can think of. Using a damage detection system, you can trigger the reflected damage to the damage source.

I actually already tried the Ancient target thing and it doesn't work. Turns out that changing the Targets Allowed at all makes no change to the spell.

I have been messing with triggers and cannot figure out any way to do it because there is no condition to specify what kind of damage is being done (aka I need ability damage source not unit damage source). Damage is damage. And I can not use the return damage factor of the ability as a method using math to replace damage on the attacking unit because I don't know which order the ability does damage. For example does it return 40% of FULL damage or 40% of damage done AFTER taking into account armor, attack type, etc. (Tests for dmg aren't consistent)

Level 22
I actually already tried the Ancient target thing and it doesn't work. Turns out that changing the Targets Allowed at all makes no change to the spell.

I have been messing with triggers and cannot figure out any way to do it because there is no condition to specify what kind of damage is being done (aka I need ability damage source not unit damage source). Damage is damage. And I can not use the return damage factor of the ability as a method using math to replace damage on the attacking unit because I don't know which order the ability does damage. For example does it return 40% of FULL damage or 40% of damage done AFTER taking into account armor, attack type, etc. (Tests for dmg aren't consistent)

Yeah it seems you cannot detect damage type (such as melee or range) with triggers. How about adding Spell Immunity to the Boss Units and test if that will work?

About the GetEventDamageSource(), if returns the actual damage taken after taking armor and magic resistance into account.

Level 3
Are you using a custom Spiked Carapace ability? If changing "Targets allowed" in your custom Spiked Carapace in the ability editor didn't work... maybe try changing the "Targets allowed" in the base Spiked Carapace ability. Some abilities do have that kind of bug (Carrion Swarm)

Level 22
Are you using a custom Spiked Carapace ability? If changing "Targets allowed" in your custom Spiked Carapace in the ability editor didn't work... maybe try changing the "Targets allowed" in the base Spiked Carapace ability. Some abilities do have that kind of bug (Carrion Swarm)

You mean changing the Targets Allowed in the original spiked carapace?

Level 6

QUOTE=latent heat;2661752]You mean changing the Targets Allowed in the original spiked carapace?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think that's what they mean. I'll try it soon. But other than that I guess my only option is to use triggers and replace life to the attacker based on however much damage spiked carapace did (aka 40% or 50% whatever). My issue though is that I did some tests to display dmg done to the attacker and the attacked. And I made the attacked unit run back and forth so I know the dmg being shown was by the spiked carapace only.

With the spiked carapace ability at no change to % received dmg and at 40% to return damage, I got about 15dmg done by attacker and 12 returned back to attacker. That's like 80%...
So does anyone know the order the game processes the information? Like does it return dmg from full damage the unit is supposed to be doing? Armor then return dmg then attack type? Etc. There's so many orders it can go in, I can't use alegebra in my triggers unless I know what order to do it in
Do you guys get what I mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.