• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a Spiked Carapace Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I was trying to create a Spiked Carapace upgrade for my custom Undead race.

First I created a custom Spiked Carapace ability and set it to false for a hero ability and set the levels to 1.

Next I checked dependencies for the ability to true.

Next I set the requirement to the corresponding upgrade I created but the ability was active for the ability bearing units when I tested the map, even though the AI had not done the upgrade yet.

What can I do to fix this?

Level 12
give the ability manually to the units when trained upgrade and when a unit is trained after the upgrade is active. thats a flaw blizzard didn't think of...
basically every unit who possesses the ability even if its disabled via upgrades the effect is shown....

EDIT: you would need these triggers for it.
  • On upgrade
    • Events
      • Unit - a unit finishes an upgrade (or stg like that)
    • Conditions
      • finished upgrade equals to "carapeace upgrade"
    • Actions
      • Pick every unit owned by (owner of (triggering unit))
        • If all conditions are true then
          • Conditions
            • Or - any
              • (type of (picked unit)) equals to Footmen <-----(add unit types here that can posess carapeace or add none if all your units can have it)
          • Then - Actions
            • Unit - give "carapeace ability" to (picked unit)
  • On unit train
    • Events
      • Unit - a unit finishes training of a unit
    • Conditions
      • upgrade is available for (owner of(triggering unit))
    • Actions
      • Unit - Give "carapeace ability" to (trained unit)

Level 11
give the ability manually to the units when trained upgrade and when a unit is trained after the upgrade is active. thats a flaw blizzard didn't think of...
basically every unit who possesses the ability even if its disabled via upgrades the effect is shown....

• On upgrade
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
          • Conditions
            • Or - any
              • (type of (picked unit)) equals to Footmen <-----(add unit types here that can posess carapeace or add none if all your units can have it)
          • Then - Actions
  • On unit train
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions

Thanks, but this is not what I want. Maybe I explained my problem wrong or was confusing.

I did not want to manually give the Undead units a "Spiked Carapace" ability, the AI can do that, I wanted to disable the "Spiked Carapace" ability until the "Spiked Carapace" upgrade was completed.

The "Spiked Carapace" ability was running as if the upgrade had been researched, from the start of the game.

Level 11
wait. so that does not happen to human players, only to AI? that doesnt make sense o_O

Actually it happens to both human and computer players.

The ghouls and other units I attached the upgrade to gain 3 armor and return damage even though the spiked carapace upgrade was never researched by a human player or computer player.

Maybe it is just a Warcraft 3 glitch in the object editor or game.

Level 3
I'm a noob but well...

What if you set the "spiked carapace = False" and then trigger it so that:

Event - Unit finishes upgrade
Condition - Upgrade=Spiked Carapace
Action - Pick Every Unit owned by (owner of triggering unit)
Set "Spiked Carapace" = True

Wouldn't that solve your problem?

Apologies in advance if my idea was dumb, like I said, I'm a noob. Just trying to brainstorm ^^'

Rick.

Level 12
Thanks, but this is not what I want. Maybe I explained my problem wrong or was confusing.

I did not want to manually give the Undead units a "Spiked Carapace" ability, the AI can do that, I wanted to disable the "Spiked Carapace" ability until the "Spiked Carapace" upgrade was completed.

The "Spiked Carapace" ability was running as if the upgrade had been researched, from the start of the game.

lol... I explained... you have to give manually the ability like I did to remove effect until researched.... read my post again.
Its a bug that spiked carapeace's effect shows even when research required. thus u have to give it manually after research is done

Level 11
lol... I explained... you have to give manually the ability like I did to remove effect until researched.... read my post again.
Its a bug that spiked carapeace's effect shows even when research required. thus u have to give it manually after research is done

Sorry Lender! I misunderstood what you wrote. Thanks you, I will try this in one of my maps.

Level 11

• On upgrade
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
          • Conditions
            • Or - any
          • Then - Actions
  • On unit train
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions

So basically you start the units off without the ability at all and then add it to said units through the triggers when the upgrade is researched.

Good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.