• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Portraits and Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
For some reason I can't find any option to change a normal unit to a hero in the object editor, nor to change a unit's portrait. Is there something wrong with my World Editor, or am I missing something?

Also, how would one go about preventing a hero from gaining EXP? Would I have to make the EXP system completely triggered?

1. For the first question, there isn't a field for that. Heroes and units are differentiated by the first letter in their rawcode being capitalized. (e.g. 'h000' would be a normal unit, whereas 'H000' would be a hero)

You should download JassNewGenPack, which lets you specify the rawcode when you create an object. That way, you can just copy the unit, paste, and then capitalize the first letter. (e.g. if I wanted to make the footman a hero, I would just copy the footman, paste [ctrl+v], and then change the rawcode from 'hfoo' to 'Hfoo' or 'H000' or w/e)
  2. As for unit portraits, that is a model specific thing. There are two options:
    • If the unit has a separate model file (most standard units), then you can just overwrite the portrait model with whatever you want by importing a new one over its path.

When wc3 finds portraits, it looks up the model name, e.g. Footman.mdx, and then appends _Portrait to it. So it would find "Footman_Portrait.mdx". If you had a portrait model, and wanted to replace the footman model, you would just import it in the Import Manager, and then you would set its path to "Units/Human/Footman/Footman_Portrait.mdx", so it would overwrite that one.
    • You can't change portraits dynamically, sadly (you can't change them during the game, and sfx won't show up on them). You can use separate units/models though.
    • Some models use built-in portraits by having a "Portrait" animation. Most custom hiveworkshop models use this. These are a little more difficult to change--you would need some model editing. You would delete the portrait animation, and then you would add your own portrait under the correct path. (e.g. if the custom model's path was "war3mapImported\Satyr.mdx", then you would import it under "war3mapImported\Satyr_Portrait.mdx")
  3. As for the third thing, there is this function:
    • Hero - Disable experience gain for (Triggering unit)
    Just replace (Triggering unit) with the unit you desire, and presto.

Status
Not open for further replies.