• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Portals: an RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7

Portals:

Description:
[td]
For lack of a better name, I will be calling this project "Portals" for now, it is an rpg that will support up to 4 human controlled players. What makes my RPG unique, is the map is cut up into sections. To travel between sections you enter portals. With this project I'll try not to drift too far outside of the box, in other words, I'm not trying to mod warcraft III into something it's not.. this usually ends up returning ugly results. Although the map is in early development I decided to open up this thread in hope of assistance with things like brainstorming.
[/td]

Features:

[td]- A unique style of terrain that seperates the map into many different small areas, to move between these areas you must teleport through different portals.
- Dungeons, which can only be attempted with multiple players. Dungeons include multiple stages, which each have a goal you must achieve in order to open the portal to the next stage, ultimately resulting in a boss fight.
- More bosses outside of dungeons.
- Three Basic item types: Amulets, Rings, and Charms, you may carry 1 amulet, 2 rings, and 2 charms at max, leaving room for a consumable item here and there.
- Item sets that include 1 amulet, 1 ring, and 1 charm and give you a bonus when you wield all three.
- Customized experience system.
- Customized bounty system, only killing blows have a chance to award bounty. Monsters in dungeons will not award bounty, but give more exp than other monsters.
- Hopefully much more to come[/td]

What I Need:

[td]
I'd really appreciate any ideas for the following:
- Dungeon stages
- Bosses
- Items/Sets
- Hero/Spell concepts
- Quest ideas
- Anything else you may think of

Also may be looking to test a very crude version of this map some time soon, just to make sure all the multi-player functions are in order..
At some point in the future I'll probably be looking for a terrainer, this will be a unique terraining project and although I consider myself a half-way decent terrainer, my work is nothing exceptional.[/td]

Thanks for readin'.

Attachments

• Darkwood1.jpg
    Darkwood1.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Darkwood2.jpg
    Darkwood2.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 239
  • GE1.jpg
    GE1.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 228
  • GE2.jpg
    GE2.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Level 14
sounds interesting, though id really like to see screenshots. couldnt imagine if it will be located in the world of warcraft (outland for example) or something modern/sci-fi? :O

btw does it have any relations to the valve game portal? except for similar name, i mean

Level 7
Well the terrain isn't modern/sci fi at all, and it's not outlandish either, the currently terrained parts are foresty (boring I know but meh) ..I plan on having other regions that are mountainous and of course a desert area.

And no there's no relation to portal, I thought of that and it's the main reason why this map needs a better name.

Level 6
Ideas
Game Names (assuming this fallows a traveling/portal theme): The Essence of Travel RPG, The Evolution of Time RPG, BlinkforFear is Awesome RPG :thumbs_up: , (these only go with my story line >>) The Challis of Flames RPG, The Wrath of Apollo RPG.

Story idea: In Ancient Greece (1000 B.C.E. give or take a few hundred years i can't remember when they were around) the city of Troy was destroyed by Greece forces in an epic war. The city was sacked and burned to the ground never to be rebuilt. In the Trojan's Temple to Apollo, the Greek Sun God, there was an artifact. It was called The Challis of Flames. The Macedonian King Greedily took this Challis into his possession. This act of greed enraged Apollo. He made the sun rain down on the Greek army for days. Apollo's rage only made The Macedonian King more hateful toward him. Since The King had great hate for Apollo he destroyed the Challis of Flames, Causing a portal to open up. The King was curious where the portal led to, so he sent you and your three friends to go explore it. And Since you and your friends were stupid enough to do what the king said you went through the portal. This portal led you to an new world, and once you stepped through it you couldn't go back. Now you and your three friends are on a quest through many worlds and portals to get back to Greece.

Level 7
Really interesting story there, but the whole Greek mythology seems to be opening an entire new can of worms, and the map has been developed in a way that doesn't fit with a Greek mythology theme. Although the idea of 4 heroes being banished to a new world and attempting to make their way out is pretty cool, maybe a revised story following the same concept.

As for the names, interesting but kind of boring. Maybe if a good story idea comes up we can base the name on something that has to do with it. Also the portals currently don't seem too special, more like a speed-bump in the road to wherever it is you're headed.. I'm hoping to come up with some concept that will make the portals more of a focus for the map.

The idea of making quests to open certain portals and reach new areas came to mind, but I think it would be really annoying to re-do these quests every time you started a new game and loaded your hero.

Thanks for the post.

[Edit] I added a few editor screenshots. (facked up while editing them, really tired lol, won't bother to fix right now.)

Last edited:
Level 6
having the terrain would have been more helpful for a creating a story.... but anyway in your first 2 screens dont make it so you have to tele every 5 steps you should only have to tele to the next world/next big section of map.

Level 7
Well that's kind of been done, this idea is a strange one I'll admit, but it adds a unique feeling to the game.. I definitely want to keep the small area style of terrain, but I also want to find a way to make it more interesting.

Level 7
Well, that's a pretty similar style alright. Only this game was umm.. to be blunt: awful. If you've tried it I'm sure you agree. Couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes, got bored faast, the terrain was hideous and there was really nothing interesting that the map had going for it. Also that map was last updated in 07, so I don't think it's much of a threat to the originality of my RPG..

Status
Not open for further replies.