• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pokemon RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, even in the newer versions, like Diamond and Pearl, the pokemon still have only 4 attacks, but since Ruby/Sapphire, each one have an ability that work as an "passive" attack. I think that the creators want to keep the tradition.
Personally, I think that using more than 4 attacks for each pokemon will umbalance the game entirelly.

Level 16
School really sucks! D=< ,, yeah it is school, but in the weekends i got work, basketball games and homework! D=< ,,

I am working on it as much as i can, but it is just not going really fast,,
I guess i better DO ask for some help =(

Level 35
School really sucks! D=< ,, yeah it is school, but in the weekends i got work, basketball games and homework! D=< ,,

I am working on it as much as i can, but it is just not going really fast,,
I guess i better DO ask for some help =(

I see you got your hands full there. Fortunately, I'm still on holidays (shwing!), so if there's anything you want to post to me for me to complete, I could do it so long as you're clear about what you want (I don't want to do something then realise it's completely different to what you had in mind :p). Well, hope you keep me in mind :D.

Level 16
Ok, here it comes,,
Attacks are abilty triggered, which mean i made an ability in Object Editor,,
But for the Wild Pokémon: You cant order them to use the ability (i thought so)
So my task:
When i say:
  • Trigger - Run CreepAttack[some array stuff]
It needs to be the exact same trigger, but still run.
What i mean with that: How can i make the Attack_Caster Variable this creep if it does not use the ability,,
I got 2 Vars: tempunit[0] and Attack_TempAIUnit,, RBB_tempunit[0] is the target unit,
and the other is the caster,,

What is needed to make the trigger run when I cast the ability, AND when i say Run - That one attack Trigger,,

This is what i came up with:
  • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • (Triggering unit) Equal to No unit
    • Then - Actions
      • Set Attack_Caster = Attack_TempAIUnit
      • Set RBB_tempunit[0] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Else - Actions
      • Set Attack_Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set Attack_Target = (Target unit of ability being cast)
But it doesnt seem to work,, =(

• Tackle
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Attack
    • Actions
      • -------- The If then else below must be added to all player abilities (abilities which are possibly casted by players), it prevents casting out of combat. --------
        • If - Conditions
          • (BattleOn <gen> is on) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players matching ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (Matching player))) for 30.00 seconds the text: You cannot cast spe...
          • Skip remaining actions
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- ----------------- --------
        • If - Conditions
          • (Triggering unit) Equal to No unit
        • Then - Actions
          • Set Attack_Caster = Attack_TempAIUnit
          • Set RBB_tempunit[0] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        • Else - Actions
      • Set RBB_MessageString = ((Name of Attack_Caster) + ( attacks + (Name of Attack_Target)))
      • Set RBB_MessageUnit = Attack_Caster
      • Trigger - Run Message <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Set templocAttack[0] = (Position of Attack_Caster)
      • Set templocAttack[1] = (Position of Attack_Target)
      • Set templocAttack[2] = (templocAttack[1] offset by 100.00 towards ((Angle from templocAttack[0] to templocAttack[1]) + 180.00) degrees)
      • Wait 0.25 seconds
      • Unit - Set Attack_Caster movement speed to 522.00
      • Cinematic - Disable user control for (All players matching ((Matching player) Equal to (Owner of Attack_Caster)))
      • Set RBB_PlayerMove = (Owner of Attack_Caster)
      • Trigger - Run EnableMovementForPlayer <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Unit - Order Attack_Caster to Move To templocAttack[2]
      • Wait ((Distance between templocAttack[0] and templocAttack[2]) / (Current movement speed of Attack_Caster)) seconds
      • Animation - Play Attack_Caster's attack animation
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of Attack_Target using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\HumanBlood\BloodElfSpellThiefBlood.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Unit - Cause Attack_Caster to damage Attack_Target, dealing 25.00 damage of attack type Normal and damage type Normal
      • Wait 0.50 seconds
      • Unit - Order Attack_Caster to Move To templocAttack[0]
      • Trigger - Run DisableMovementForPlayer <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Wait ((Distance between templocAttack[0] and templocAttack[2]) / (Current movement speed of Attack_Caster)) seconds
      • Unit - Set Attack_Caster movement speed to 0.00
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[0])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[2])
      • -------- Thats always needed. --------
      • Countdown Timer - Start RBB_timer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 0.05 seconds
Good Luck:grin: And thanks!

Level 35
Well, it is 100% possible to order units to cast abilities. Simply, you could just base the abilities off of ones that are selectable in this area. Unfortunately, this would limit you gravely when it comes to trying to create many abilities.

Now that you've heard the bad news, let me tell you the good news. While you would be limited in choice for abilities to base the Pokemon's 'techniques' on, there is a method to get abilities to work even if they are based off of the same ability. Basically, you just have to put the abilities into a spellbook with a unique spellbook ID. Also, to avoid mess, it might be handy to put the techniques in a master spellbook. Anyway, that's optional, as there are 4 available slots down the bottom row.

As for getting the Neutral Units to cast these abilities, I want to know what your combat system is. Is it going to be turn by turn? If so, it would be advisable to base all offensive abilities off of an ability that creeps like to use. That way, they'd tend to cast them on their own accord (with any luck :p). Otherwise, you could make new abilities for them. By this, I mean just recreate the abilities for them, only making the difference of basing them off of different abilities. This way, you'd be able to use triggers to order them to cast a random ability or just an ability depending on what Pokemon they are fighting against.

BTW, I am assuming that Pokemon have no attack (DUH, how else would you base a fighting system off of abilities? :p). That way, you'd have an extra slot for an extra detail or something. However, I'd like for their to be abilities based off of the Moon Glaive ability (In other words, a dummy ability as Moon Glaive really does nothing as an ability, it functions as an upgrade) and make on for each type their is e.g. Ground, Fire, Flying... you get the picture. I think that somewhere along the lines you've already thought of this. That way, when it comes to having type advantages, you can just use a preset number which is set before dealing the actual damage and have it so that it does twice as much or just half as much damage depending on the type.

Here lies a bit of a complication. When it comes to a unit of the type, for example, Ground/Flying, it would have to be made so that the Pokemon of that type takes normal damage. This can be achieved with a simple, yet long, if/then/else statement. Basically, if the target unit of ability being cast has Ground ability and does not have Flying ability, it takes 0.5 X Dmg. If it has Flying ability and not Ground, it takes 2 X Dmg. And so on. I don't mind doing all the repetetive stuff, just gimme a copy of the map when you feel like taking a break and I'll plow right through a whole field of the triggers.

BTW, I am LOVING the idea of playing Single Player and then saving and being able to play online. It is soooo awesome! I would love to have that level of competition that you tend not to get from the Gameboy version. Anyway, hope to hear more soon on my further instructions. Good luck!

Level 21
Wazzz, my system is based on that... and that way opens much more possibilities, even my AI system is build like that...

So you shouldnt change that, use my given functions and it will perfectly work.

And yixxx, i show you a example from my system map:

• Attack
    • Ereignisse
      • Einheit - A unit Startet den Effekt einer Fähigkeit
    • Bedingungen
      • (Ability being cast) Gleich Attack
    • Aktionen
      • -------- The If then else below must be added to all player abilities (abilities which are possibly casted by players), it prevents casting out of combat. --------
        • 'IF'-Bedingungen
          • (BattleOn <gen> is on) Gleich True
        • 'THEN'-Aktionen
          • Spiel - Display to (All players matching ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) Gleich (Matching player))) for 30.00 seconds the text: You cannot cast spe...
          • Skip remaining actions
        • 'ELSE'-Aktionen
      • -------- ----------------- --------
      • Set RBB_MessageString = ((Name of Attack_Caster) + ( attacks + (Name of Attack_Target)))
      • Set RBB_MessageUnit = Attack_Caster
      • Auslöser - Run Message <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Set templocAttack[0] = (Position of Attack_Caster)
      • Set templocAttack[1] = (Position of Attack_Target)
      • Set templocAttack[2] = (templocAttack[1] offset by 100.00 towards ((Angle from templocAttack[0] to templocAttack[1]) + 180.00) degrees)
      • Wait 0.25 seconds
      • Einheit - Set Attack_Caster movement speed to 522.00
      • Video - Disable user control for (All players matching ((Matching player) Gleich (Owner of Attack_Caster)))
      • Auslöser - Run EnableMovementForPlayer <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Einheit - Order Attack_Caster to Bewegen nach templocAttack[2]
      • Animation - Play Attack_Caster's attack animation
      • Spezialeffekt - Create a special effect attached to the chest of Attack_Target using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\HumanBlood\BloodElfSpellThiefBlood.mdl
      • Spezialeffekt - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Einheit - Cause Attack_Caster to damage Attack_Target, dealing 20.00 damage of attack type Normal and damage type Normal
      • Wait 0.50 seconds
      • Einheit - Order Attack_Caster to Bewegen nach templocAttack[0]
      • Auslöser - Run DisableMovementForPlayer <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Einheit - Set Attack_Caster movement speed to (Default movement speed of Attack_Caster)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[0])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_templocAttack[2])
      • Countdown-Timer - Start RBB_timer as a Einmalig timer that will expire in 0.05 seconds
It is partial in german, but you may get a idea how to make a unit targeted spell.

And this is a creep attack:

• Normal Attack
    • Ereignisse
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • Set RBB_MessageString = ((Name of RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)]) + ( attacks + (Name of RBB_tempunit[0])))
      • Set RBB_MessageUnit = RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)]
      • Auslöser - Run Message <gen> (checking conditions)
      • Animation - Play RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)]'s attack animation
      • Spezialeffekt - Create a special effect attached to the chest of RBB_tempunit[0] using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\HumanBlood\BloodElfSpellThiefBlood.mdl
      • Spezialeffekt - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Einheit - Cause RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)] to damage RBB_tempunit[0], dealing 5.00 damage of attack type Zaubersprüche and damage type Normal
      • Countdown-Timer - Start RBB_timer as a Einmalig timer that will expire in 1.00 seconds
They are both partial german, just because I got a german world editor.

My creep system in that map features like individual attack attachment for the added creep, you have to add every creep with his attacks, and creep attacks are triggers without events which are randomly runned, just look at my system map how it works in the setup trigger.

For a direct link look in my signature.

Level 16
@ Wazzz: I really suckass at spellbooks, but i would have to make about 100 spellbooks then? (for each attack),, and also, the creeps do not use abilitys on their own, they get set in a variable, the target (random unit from(RBB_UnitGroup)) which will be the only Pokémon in 1v1 battle, and a random Pokémon in 2v2 battle,,
Then it will run the second trigger of Redscores,, so it is not even ability based,,

And because i dont want to have to trigger every ability TWICE, i would like a working way like mine,, but then working off course =), do you think you can make something like that?

@ Redscores: You German? =O,, Neighbour! xD,,
Anyway, i used your attack abilty from your map as (only) attack (so far),, so it is the exact same, only i tried to add the If/then/else, to not have to trigger 'Tackle' (the abilty) Twice,, get it?

Hope you find some solution Wazzz =),,

Level 16
I think there is a way, for every attack i make the actions, but no event,,
1 trigger for when anyone starts an ability, then with loads of if then elses i check what attack it is, set the Caster and Target Variables, run the attack actions,,
For the AI, i just immediately set the Caster and Target, and then run the actions,
I will try to do so,,

Ok, that worked ^^,, Thanks!
Oh, and +rep for the ones who keep on giving suggestions and help to me! ^^
(Should have done that before -.- )

Last edited:
Level 35
Are you sure? =(,, not ANY way of doing it my way?
Well, i will wait for Wazzz, if he finds no solution, i think theres nothing to do but trigger every ability twice

Well, by creating abilities twice, you don't have to replicate the code for them. What I mean is when you create the same ability twice, you could just add that ability into the condition of the trigger. Sry I take so long to respond lol, I think these posts came when I was asleep lol.

Well, I didn't understand a word of redscores' code (as I don't speak German :p), but if it works, by all means use it :D. I hope I can be of further assistance, though creating triggers are not 100% my strong point. It's fixing them that I tend to do better :p. Good luck!

HFR

HFR

Level 22
And creating triggers are even 20% my strong point... But I'm a bit good at making the good ol' melee terrain, if you want support for variety of tilesets, height or doodad placement, just ask. If you want some tips for abilitys or units, events an sort, I can help you a bit.:thumbs_up:

ps: How many triggers:confused:!!!

Level 16
Ok, I yesterday made the next ability, absorb =),,
And it works!
Heres how its done:
(I know Absorb contains one leak, but how to change that? Cause it moves!
  • Absorb
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Attack_Point1 = (Position of Attack_Target)
      • Set Attack_Point2 = (Position of Attack_Caster)
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 4, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Absorb Ball for Neutral Passive at Attack_Point1 facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Move To Attack_Point2
          • Unit Group - Add (Last created unit) to Attack_Group
          • Animation - Change (Last created unit) flying height to ((Current flying height of Attack_Target) + 10.00) at 0.00
          • Animation - Change (Last created unit) flying height to ((Current flying height of Attack_Caster) + 10.00) at 1.00
          • Wait 0.50 seconds
      • Set Attack_TempUnit = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Cause Attack_Caster to damage Attack_Target, dealing 20.00 damage of attack type Normal and damage type Normal
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Attack_Point1)
      • Wait until ((Distance between (Position of Attack_TempUnit) and Attack_Point2) Less than or equal to 15.00), checking every 1.00 seconds
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Attack_Group and do (Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game)
      • Unit - Set life of Attack_Caster to ((Life of Attack_Caster) + 20.00)
      • Unit Group - Remove all units from Attack_Group
      • Set Attack_Caster = No unit
      • Set Attack_Target = No unit
      • Set Attack_TempUnit = No unit
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Attack_Point1)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Attack_Point2)
      • Countdown Timer - Start RBB_timer as a One-shot timer that will expire in 0.05 seconds
  • Use Abil
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (BattleOn <gen> is on) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (All players matching ((Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (Matching player))) for 30.00 seconds the text: You cannot cast spe...
          • Skip remaining actions
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Attack
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Run Tackle <gen> (checking conditions)
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Ability being cast) Equal to Absorb
        • Then - Actions
          • Trigger - Run Absorb <gen> (checking conditions)
        • Else - Actions
  • CreepAttackAI
    • Events
      • Time - RBB_CreepAttackTimer expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Attack_Caster = RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)]
      • Set Attack_Target = (Random unit from RBB_UnitGroup)
      • Trigger - Run RBB_CreepAttack1[(Custom value of RBB_Creeps[(RBB_RoundCount - 5)])] (checking conditions)

Level 35
Wazzz... you seem small minded...

whatever... if you dont use the system like I wrote, never ask me again for help....

Because I cannot guarantee that it works.

I tried that way too, but sometimes the unit casts the spell not if you order it.

WTF? I fail to see why you would try and flame me as I never said anything against your code. I don't know whether or not you noticed, but I was responding to Yixx. So how the hell do I come into the conspicuous chip on your shoulder?

Can't you just offer advice without calling someone small-minded? I mean, WOW, how hard could that be? From the sounds of it, you are small in more than just your mind, if you get my drift.

Level 21
No, I am just telling that you should first understand my system before you give advices, and if you dont do that, your certainly small-minded, because intelligent people first get informations.

The Creep attacks are pure triggers, they CANT be ordered, else the AI wont be able to use the spell, the ai chooses a random of 5 abilities (all triggers without events or conditions) and runs it.

Level 35
No, I am just telling that you should first understand my system before you give advices, and if you dont do that, your certainly small-minded, because intelligent people first get informations.

The Creep attacks are pure triggers, they CANT be ordered, else the AI wont be able to use the spell, the ai chooses a random of 5 abilities (all triggers without events or conditions) and runs it.

Who's small-minded now? I TOLD everyone I don't speak German, and you call me small-minded for not looking at all the information? *Spit*

Anyway, as for the creep attacks, I think I talked about that on a different thread, and am in total agreeance of that. To push the point through repetition, you can't have AI for Neutral - Hostile. Therefore, it's impossible to send an AI command. Best shot would be to make all the hostiles one computer slot.

Well, I think we've moved as forward as we can before this part is complete. I think once all this is complete, the next big thing would be Game Caches and transferring saved data across 2 maps. Although I have full confidence this is possible, I have not even attempted such code as of yet. Well, good luck!

Level 16
guys, come on! Dont get mad at each other!

Redscores, what i did is: I made the ability have no event and conditions, like the creep attacks,,
So now: it IS a creep attack,
But when i cast the Tackle, i want to run the exact same actions, so why would i make 2 triggers, with the exact same actions?
All i do is Set the Caster and Target Outside the attack actions, and Then run the attack trigger,,
This way, it will be like a normal spell, and like a creep attack,,
Oh, and plz, dont be mad, i am just experimenting a little, I dont mean to offend you or your system!
And i hope i didnt,,

Wazzz: The creeps are owned by Player Brown ^^,, forgot to mention that,,
And i am not going to use Game Cache, i think,,
You will get a code, that code contains a 001 when you have bulbasaur, 002 when you have ivysaur, and so on,
But i WILL need to encrypt that some way,,
And when you enter the code, the computer will decrypt it, and check what Pokémon you have, what attacks they have and what lvl they are, and so on,,

EDIT: well, i might use game Cache, but i need to learn some about it first then,,
EDIT 2: Updated Town image, Uploaded City and Gym1 image

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
After you read all the tutorials and even didn't make it, you gonna have to use the code
MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Seriously, I don't like to use codes, because they're always like this:
57649474847484764876n-65764745c543754h56476-757564386f
So, you know what I mean, right? Read the tutorials, practice, and try to master the holy game cache technic, or... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
That's the spirit! And, for the multiplayer map, you could fill the empty spaces with AI.

As for the requests, it's better to use an skin instead of model, because I don't know any modeller who like pokemon... For skins, ask FrIkY or Mr. Goblin, maybe they can help you.

Level 16
Yeah, but it is only a little little remodel, it is not even specific for Pokémon, it should become a model that could be used for ANY doctor or Professor,,
but i gotta go now,,
Maybe see ya tomorrow,,

Announcement: Niddhogg-kun has joined the Crew!
Do you want to join the Crew too? PM me, or post in this thread!

Last edited:
Level 16
Ok all,, for all who are sick of sucky screenshots that dont show you what you want:
I made a little screenie of the World Map!
Attached to This post, And to first post!

Last edited:
Level 35
Ok all,, for all who are sick of sucky screenshots that dont show you what you want:
I made a little screenie of the World Map!
Attached to This post, And to first post!

Haha, nice map outline! I like the idea of the Snowy Mountain, makes a very nice and interesting change to the Pokemon game in itself. Sweet ideas!

I'm just wondering now, too, whether or not I'm on the team. You see, I do most my work with the Object Editor and know everything in there like the back of my hand (although, I confess, there are still more things to learn about the Object Editor itself, even though I've used it for a long time :p). When it comes to triggers, I can get some things done, but often struggle with what other people do seemingly easily. I also dabble with the terrain editor, but it seems you're pretty awesome at that, so I can't really say that would be of use to you :p.

However, Object Editor and Terrain Editor aside, I also know a lot about gameplay and what is great and fun and such. With that in mind, I could serve as a tester and would also be able to give advice when needed about what to do with the Object Editor (I often try using the Object Editor before using the triggers, so I've found there are a lot of things that the Object Editor can be used for other than what's on the surface).

Well, I hope these traits are useful, and I hope I WAS already on the team lol. Anyway, I'm just checking up and letting you know what I can do so you know how I can help you and such. Once again, sick terrain! XD

Level 16
Well,, Wazzz, since you are not really a triggerer, not a modeler, nor a skinner, icon maker or terainer,, i think you will get at Other Help, that contains new ideas and testing =),,
Oh, and the terrain sucks so far, it is really suckass as hell,,

Status
Not open for further replies.